My Chow is scared of people approaching

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

linhnguyen2210
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by linhnguyen2210 »

I recently got a 5 month old Chow Chow named Amy, who is very sweet and well behaved at home. However, after a few weeks living with her, I think her breeder did a poor job in socializing her. She is not too shy with strange people and in strange situations but she is scared of people approaching her. If someone wants to touch her, they need to be around her for a while until she gets comfortable. Sometimes if there are too many people looking at her and crowding her (obviously because of her look), she would get very worked up and jumped up and down and if someone, even me, tries to touch her at that time, she can give a nip. This is sad because she is a very good girl at home. She doesnt mind us touching her all over, she even likes us scratching her tummy, doesnt bother even when she is sleeping or eating. When we take her to the park off leash, she is not shy either. She goes exploring other animals, other people, even jumped into the lake, but would come right back when we call. I would really want anyone to be able to touch her because I think its basic socialization, so please give me some advice into how to correct the situation and what to do when she is so worked up.

I also attach an image of Amy playing with her German Shepherd friend. She is really my pride!!

Amy's mama
Linh Nguyen
rmb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: My Chow is scared of people approaching

Post by rmb »

Amy is a beautiful little girl and it's easy to see why everyone would want to love on her but I'm not sure it is fair to her to allow it. It sounds like she is well socialized but a crowd of strangers reaching out to her could be intimidating, I know I wouldn't like it. The nipping is a problem but I think I'd avoid situations that make her that uncomfortable.
My chow spent his first year in a shelter and it could be that but I think it's his chowness that makes him very wary of strangers.
Good luck with your precious girl!
linhnguyen2210
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by linhnguyen2210 »

Thank you. We continued to socialize her, took her to many places and it seems now that she stopped the nipping. She is still worried if the situations got complicated, eg kids running, riding scooters, and still doesnt like people petting her, but overall her attitude improves much better. It also comes to a point where I accept that may be she doesnt like to be pet at all, not because she is agressive or something, and some people just dont have respect for animal.
Btw, this is Amy in the park. She just LOVES puddles lol.

Amy's mama
Linh Nguyen