My chow chow Tina is hyperactive...

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

niksamarkovic4
Rank 0
Rank 0

My chow chow Tina is hyperactive...

Post by niksamarkovic4 »

She has about two weeks and She seems a bit stupid. It's my first Chow Chow and I don't know how to treet her. She lives outside the house in a cage with a doggy house. She always barks and she poops inside the doggy house on a pillow where She chould sleep. How can I learn her not to poop there? And how can I learn her to behave? Thank you for your answer...
m_saade
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: My chow chow Tina is hyperactive...

Post by m_saade »

Hi,

Is it 2 week or 2 months old?

In all cases, I presume the doggy house is too big. You must reduce the size of the house by filling it with boxes.

she must have a space that barely fits her and allows her to stand, lay down and turn around.
If she has more space than that, she will poop in it.

I am a new chow owner also and I was able to house train him in 2 days.
apparently they are very clean dogs.

never punish her for making a mistake. Instead, quickly clean completely where she did it(with dettol), And give her praise and a treat when she does it in the correct place.

I also recommend removing her mattress for the time being. Because it might still contain the smell of her poo/pee.

you must specify a place for her by placing newspapers or a pad. And she will learn in no time.

as for the barking, ignore it. Dont even look at her when she barks. And if she barks when u are around her. Turn around and leave.
then come back after she calms down and stops.
keep repeating this and she will learn that barking is useless.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Niks...what exactly is hyperactive? You have a young puppy that is confined to outdoors and a cage. No idea what the weather is like where you are but it's likely to be too hot or too cold at some point. The dog doesn't know where he should do his business and you don't know how to train him. You note that this is your 1st chow, but have you ever owned a dog before? Did you do any research on what responsibilities are involved? Did you read up on what Chow personalities are like or what it takes to ensure that they are socialized and trained to become responsible members of the family? To judge the dog stupid at either 2 months old or two weeks after taking ownership, whatever it is you meant, is ignorant in itself.

M-saade...Dogs do not mysteriously learn that newspapers are an appropriate spot to go. They require time and attention to direct them to the proper place. They need to be rewarded/praised when they do it correctly. Chows are very clean dogs and will not soil their space, but the space needs to be defined to them. Barking is never useless. It serves a purpose for the dog. Chows will generally also have several different tones to their bark. They bark when they are hot/cold, when they are lonely and want attention, they bark to alert you of a danger. You definitely should not ignore the barking. Learn to identify what the barking signifies and either rectify it or sooth the dog. Certain sounds will frighten a pup. If you teach them that it's OK, then they will stop barking at that sound.
m_saade
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by m_saade »

Rory's dad,

I was talking about the barking and whining after being crated or left alone.
my dog learned to be silent when he is in his crate and now he loves it.

Paying attention to the dogs whiny bark will reinforce this behavior and will make him dominant over a new unexperienced owner.

As for the newspapers for potty, after being crated for a while I took him out and lead him to his potty spot and then after he does his job he must be praised and given treats. Just like I said in my 1st post.

he learned where to potty after 2 tries.
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

Wow, this post broke my heart. It sounds like a very young puppy is left outside in a cage and has no way to convey her loneliness but to bark all day. She has yet to have any training but is expected to know where to potty???

Sorry, but puppies are not born already trained. They depend on you to gently teach them what you want from them. Puppies are very active. They like to play and explore. She will need time out of her cage interacting with you. Depending on her age(???) you can begin short walks with her. Let her explore at the end of the leash. This will help burn some of her puppy energy.

Take a pocket full of treats with you and offer treats as you walk. In the early stages of training all I would do is say the puppy's name. As soon as the puppy looked up at me I gave them a treat. Over time introduce new commands in a quiet location, like the kitchen. Always with lots of treats and praise. Never getting grumpy if they do it wrong. Puppies are not stupid, they simply do not know what we are wanting from them. They do not understand the sounds coming out of our mouths. We have to gently teach them words "commands" in a gradual upbeat manner.

Chows can sometimes be a challenge with learning commands. This is not because they are "stupid". It is because they are stubborn. My chow will sit very quickly if he knows there is a reward waiting for him. But he tends to smirk and remain standing if he doubts he will be rewarded. I think that is actually pretty SMART on his behalf. He has me trained quite well. :lol:

Give your puppy a fair chance. Gently guide her. I doubt that she is stupid. I would be willing to guess that she simply is unsure of what is expected of her.

As for the pooping on the pillow ~ as a puppy Chance would potty on the other dogs beds if I did not get him outside in time. This was because our house is all tile and he will not potty on solid surfaces. The dog beds were the only surface he could reach that were not solid. Maybe that is the problem your girl faces?

We had to move Chance to an area that he could not get to the other dogs' beds until he was fully house trained. He has his own dog bed, but rarely uses it. He prefers to sleep on the tile. I agree with removing your girl's bed until she understands it is not a pee pad.
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
rmb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by rmb »

I just don't understand why dogs are brought home to live outside. They are such wonderful companions. I echo previous posts, I feel sorry for poor Tina who probably spends most of her time cooped up bored and lonely outside. Why have a dog at all if you don't want to share your life with it?