Introducing Bella - will she grow any taller

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

jaybell
Rank 0
Rank 0

Introducing Bella - will she grow any taller

Post by jaybell »

Hi everyone,

We have a 7 month old Chow Chow called Bella. I have owned many different breed of dog but Bella has to be the most precious of all of them. She is such a special puppy, so beautiful, full of love and such a friendly girl with everyone she meets.

I just have a small question will she grow any taller. At the moment she is 20 kg (about 44 lb) and 45 cm (17.7 inches)tall. This seems quiet small. She was 7 months old on the 2nd January and her first season started 2 weeks ago. The vet here said that dogs do not grow once they have had their first season. Is this true? or will she grow in height and weight?

I have attached some photographs of her.

What do people think about another chow chow to keep her company.

Regards
Samantha
Attachments
DSC_0035 (3).jpg
DSC_0035 (3).jpg (194.17 KiB) Viewed 6447 times
DSC_0032 (4).jpg
DSC_0032 (4).jpg (168.47 KiB) Viewed 6447 times
DSC_0031.jpg
DSC_0031.jpg (249.3 KiB) Viewed 6447 times
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Introducing Bella - will she grow any taller

Post by Rory's Dad »

At 7 months she is most likely pretty much done on the growth chart. The weight and height are not small for a female. Chows generally are done growing by about 8 months, although they continue to add bone strength and joint cartilage even after age 2. So, some weight may be added still in the form of muscle and bone mass.

As for a 2nd dog, that is a personal choice. It's more than double the work, and there can be issues with them getting along. Same gender housemates often will have some sort of dispute. Not that they have to be severe, but dogs have different personalities and sometimes they clash. About the only one that is real obvious when you have a new puppy is how tolerant the older dog is with puppy play (or not). Naturally, mixed gender is a whole different issue, and since Bella just had her 1st heat, she hasn't been fixed.

Congrats on Bella. She certainly is a looker.
jaybell
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jaybell »

Dear Rory's Dad

Thank you for your advice.

I am glad she is not going to grow to much more she is so perfect the way she is. Everyday we see a change in her features and each time it's seems to make her more beautiful.

Took her weight today and she is now 21 kg and also took some more photo's (attached) she has changed so much in the two weeks since I took the previous ones.

We have ordered a new puppy a male cream Chow Chow from Russia, just have to wait the two weeks to import him here.

We are planning to have her fixed, just wanted to wait till her first season.

Regards
Samantha
Attachments
DSC_0121[1].jpg
DSC_0121[1].jpg (172.79 KiB) Viewed 6422 times
DSC_0125[1].jpg
DSC_0125[1].jpg (193.36 KiB) Viewed 6422 times
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

Perfect, indeed!!! Bella is gorgeous! Good luck
jaybell
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jaybell »

Dear Ski
Thank you so much for your kind words it means a lot. We think she is very beautiful too. In our eyes she is perfect. However, we have some friends who have chow chow's and they keep telling us her nose is to long and she is to short but i dont care what they think. It's lovely that you see her like we do and not just as a dog that does not conform to the perfect standard. I would take bella over his three girls anyday.
Samantha
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Jay, I wouldn't listen to much about what your friends opinion is...

There are certain variations within the chow that are perfectly acceptable and are only judged on your personal preference. In the case of your Bella, chows faces are commonly referred to as either open or closed face. Open face has the longer, narrower nose shape. Closed face have the shorter, scrunchy nose. Body types also differ to some degree with the older, more traditional types being described as 'athletic build'. These dogs tend to be leaner and taller. Over the years breeders have moved toward developing the stockier look in the chow. They tend to be a bit shorter (although not always as some combination have resulted in heavy boned and tall chows that exceed 60 or 70 lbs in weight).

Regardless of these variations the breed standard for Chows defines some other items that Bella fits perfectly...triangular but not pointed ears set wide on the head piece, almond shaped eyes, thick broad skull, a stilted rear leg/gait, and of course the blue/black/purple tongue and mouth.
DrewBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DrewBear »

Samantha, I think Bella is bellissimo! 8)
'Bear' 1996 - 2011
Patrick888
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Patrick888 »

Hi Samantha. First off, Bella is a real cutie and you should be very proud! We have a Bella of our own, just turned 6 as it happens and she is is much the same height but has matured at 30kg. Being our 5th Chow over many years, she is smaller than our previous babies, but we were advised by breeders at Crufts last year that there is a move to breed slightly smaller now in order to breed out some of the hip problems.

I'd say your Bella is a perfect size and shape - it makes them easier to handle and lift into the car etc. Enjoy her all you can!

You can see our Bella on FaceBook - Just look for Bella Chow Chow!

Regards

Patrick
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Patrick brings up some good points on the trends in chow breeding.

If you look at historical Chows (Elvis had one, Sigmund Freud, and Walt Disney as well), you see that they were much leaner and athletic in stature. These dogs did not have the hip and joint issues that we see in the modern (US style) chow. They didn't have the breathing issues either.

Those 'original style' chows actually had a longer average life span, without modern veterinary advances, than the modern Chow has.

Breeders in the US and Asia have really made a push to produce heavier dogs with a closed muzzle. Many of these dogs will have problems breathing properly, and the bone structure hasn't evolved enough to support the additional weight. Chows should be within the 40-45 lb range for females, and 45-50 lb range for males. Dogs in excess of 65 lbs are likely to have joint issues and a shorter life span.

Any movement towards bringing these dogs back to historical norms is a really good idea. BTW, Crufts is the UK's largest and most reputable purebred dog show organizer. The UK has not typically seen the movement toward the heavier chow as that area has been fairly true to the origins of the Chow as seen in the historical traits of the breed.