is My Chow Chow Pure Breed or not?

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

aeneas20
Rank 0
Rank 0

is My Chow Chow Pure Breed or not?

Post by aeneas20 »

10712820_955176687829938_576400625983951017_n.jpg
This is our new baby, He's about 33days . But I have few concerns about him. First of all is that, he seems tiny. I see pictures of chows about his age and they seem big. Second, he poops often. I maybe paranoid because he's our first dog. Sometimes he poops about 4 - 5x a day. Im worried if this is normal. Lastly, is that his tounge is spotted. Will it eventually darken or become solid blue black in color. I want to know your opinions if our baby is a purebred. We bought him at a petshop w/o papers because we have limited budget. Anyways, we love him to bits! And he makes us happy.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: is My Chow Chow Pure Breed or not?

Post by Rory's Dad »

33 days? Is that right? If so that pup should never have been released from his litter or dam. To think that it was available at a pet store is incredible.

Don't get me wrong, I am not blaming you. But a puppy should NEVER be removed from his mom and litter mates before 8 weeks unless some tragedy makes it unavoidable.

So you worry about size? Probably a good concern since he missed at least 3 week of mother's milk, and very likely a poor quality food while waiting to be sold. Make a vet appointment ASAP and get a recommendation for top quality food and likely some vitamin supplements.

As for the pure bred question...I would say yes. The nose, eyes, and paw shape are correct. Post more photos with ear set and tail set for a better opinion. Also a standing shot with the rear leg stance would be helpful.

Spotted tongue and mouth that age is normal. Even a full breed chow can retain the spotting, but a good quality Chow will not mature with the color variance.

Although the age is an issue in determining how often your pup needs to "go", it is also based on how often they eat. At his age, it should be small portions about 4x a day for both.