How common is aggression?

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

ninak
Rank 0
Rank 0

How common is aggression?

Post by ninak »

Hi there,
My boyfriend and I have been looking into getting a chow chow for quite sometime now, and we are hoping to getting a one in the next few months, but there are some concerns we would like to sift through before we can go forward.

Firstly, I have never owned a dog before, and my boyfriend lived with two as a child (he was not actually caring for the dog as he was too young). I will be with the dog most of the day, as it will be going to work with me, or staying home alone for a few hours, while my boyfriend will only be seeing the dog after work/on weekends. Is it likely for our chow chow to start to resent him or become aggressive towards him because of his absence during the day? (we've read about how the can be a one man dog)

Secondly, I have talked to multiple trainers across Toronto, however, one sticks out because of the results I have seen in 20+ dogs, and the fact that they specialize in dog aggression. After speaking to the owner, I have decided that they are the trainers for me (as neither my boyfriend nor I have any experience in training and socializing). They take your dog into their home for as long as the dog needs for obedience training, and we want to enrol our puppy as soon as possible so that it is around a lot of other dogs and people from very early on. Our only concern here is that if our puppy goes in after only a week or two of meeting us, will it risk our relationship with our puppy?

And lastly, given that this is how we would like to go about training and raising our puppy, how common is aggression found amongst chow chows? I know there is a stigma, but it is only recently when I have begun to seriously worry because every trainer, friend and vet has warned us, and it is beginning to make us question our love for this breed.

On a side note, I have been talking to 3 separate breeders, but I am wondering if anyone here has adopted a puppy in Ontario and can suggest a breeder as it is hard to discern whether or not they are truly breeding for health and temperament.
Thank you for taking the time to read through our concerns, and hopefully someone can shed some light for us!
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: How common is aggression?

Post by Cindy J »

I am going to step out here and state that I am VERY much AGAINST sending a puppy away to be trained. You are losing a very valuable bonding time with your puppy. What I recommend is signing your puppy up for classes that you can take with him.

Find a trainer that teaches group classes. This type of class will teach you how to train your puppy and will teach your puppy to listen to YOU.

As for your concern about your puppy not bonding with your husband because he is at work through the day.... That has not been an issue with any of the dogs that we have had over the years. I am the primary care taker, but they all adore my husband and get very excited to see him when he comes home. My husband helps with evening walks and will play with the dogs while I am cooking dinner.

My female rottweiler prefers my husband to me even though she only spends a couple hours per day with him. They just have a bond. (go figure) :?

I am also a firm believer in the fact that ALL dogs can bite. It is up to us, as owners, to teach them that aggression is not acceptable. Get them out early and often amongst new people and situations. Do not let them become pushy... and shut them down when they begin to posture. Let them know that you have the situation under control.
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
zardac
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by zardac »

Hello,

I joined this forum seeking information on aggression.

The only time I've been bit was by a friend's chow, and I've not encountered one Chow that was amenable to being approached by a stranger.

Have I merely been unlucky?

I was going to share my experience on another breed forum, but wanted raise the question with knowledgeable people, before I blathered on about my stuff.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

So, your headline question is how common is aggression. Any sort of aggression in Chows comes out of changes in their home environment as adults. The most common scenario is a single male who decides that a chow is a great manly dog who mirrors his macho bachelor lifestyle. And then he meets a girl, has kids, etc and the dog is no longer the focus of his attention. The dog will feel left out, replaced, and that is where they try to re-establish their position in the household.

Dogs that are raised with a family environment and are properly socialized and trained seldom have any of these issues.

I agree with Cindy's post as a general guideline. I show my dogs, and unlike Cindy, I do not handle them myself unless really necessary. My dogs have gone to learn basic ring etiquette and training and to get accustomed to their handle. It is a secondary relationship and is never done until they have established a family bond first.

I also agree that a local puppy class is the best 1st step. Those classes are designed to teach YOU how to get your dog to behave and to obey basic commands. As 1st time owners or carekeepers that is exactly what YOU need. Learn the basic hand signals and the theory behind reward behavior. Understand what proper puppy play is and learn when the lines are crossed, how to correct it and observe whether your puppy knows how to react properly. Introduce the pup to customers in the store and properly instruct them on introducing themselves to a chow (great socialization experience, good for breed introduction, and an absolute must to understand if you don't want your dog frightened into lashing out).

Understand if you are heart set on a chow, but don't impulse buy based on the fuzzy cuteness of a chow pup. They are work, and require you to be informed on the breed. You must be dedicated to a whole lot of things. Socialization is 1st on the list. Grooming is required on a (very) regular basis. You will need a strong personality that can be in charge without bullying. Based on that, I wouldn't really recommend a chow to a 1st time dog owner. No replacement for experience, particularly with a dog that can be a bit stubborn and headstrong.

I definitely would not recommend using an offsite training method with a chow. They must accept you as the leader and provider. Resources are going to be a leading motivator. If someone else formulates that relationship, then you are never going to be in control or have an acceptable position to the Chow pup.
alicehuang830
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by alicehuang830 »

My puppy is 15 weeks old, I had him since he was 8 weeks. Personally I want to spend as much time with him as possible because they grow so fast and I don't want to miss a minute of it! I enrolled him in petsmart's puppy and hired a private dog trainer that comes to our home. Group class is good but sometimes I feel it gets really chaotic and its hard for Romeo and I to focus, whereas the private trainer can really focus on Romeo and I can be very involved during the session.
I have a 9-5 job but my bf works from home alot, he is very lucky to spend more time with Romeo when he isn't traveling for work. But when I come home everyday Romeo is soooo delighted to see me and I don't feel there is a difference between how he acts. On the weekends we both try to spend as much time with Romeo as possible, taking him on walks, dog park and go to restaurants that are dog friendly.....
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

That is a nice balanced approach Alice, and probably the best way to assure you have a well balanced, happy pup.

Good for you, and a nice post.
Cindy J
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cindy J »

Good point on sending a dog out for specialized training in certain circumstances. I do not have an issue with a dog spending time with a professional handler prior to time campaigning. This makes complete sense as the handler and dog need to develop a bond to move well together in the ring.

I also have seen a number of dogs sent for intense training for their Schutzhund titles or protection work. But I do feel that all ground work for basic obedience should be done with each individual owner and trainers/classes.

We run into people on a regular basis who tell us that they had chows in the past. The dogs started out sweet, but became aggressive. When I delve into their routines with their dogs I often find that there was either a major life change of some sort... or they did not continue with any meaningful interactions with the public.

What I mean is they assumed the dog was trained/socialized and did not see a reason to take the dog out on a regular basis any more. Some did not walk their dog very often when it was young and then could not control the adult chow when they wanted to take him somewhere. They waited until the dog was older to correct something they perceived as minor.... only to find out it was now major. The dog had little respect for their authority.
CH Dreamland's Intrepid Spirit ~ Chance
Dreamland's Dancing in the Storm ~ Raine
Dreamland's Calling All Angels ~ Skye
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Wow Cindy, that brings back some stories.

We used to bring Rory to every local event we could find as part of his socialization. And I mean anything that would allow the dogs to attend. We went to the farmers market, the horticultural events, the pet appreciation days.

We had one event where the local 'mall', for lack of a better term, hosted a dog jumping event. No way was Rory going anywhere near the pool, but the dogs that did were absolutely amazing. No less than 50 people approached us and fawned over Rory. Tons of 'can we pet him, he looks so fluffy'...yes, just please approach him from the front and from under his chin. Make sure he sees you are there. A bunch of 'omg, is his tongue really black', yes it is. Lots of 'does he shed much', yes he sheds constantly.

But as you said, we heard no less than 10 stories about someone or someone's brother/sister/aunt/cousin who used to have chows but they were aggressive or unreliable or really bad with children, so they had to get rid of them. So, please introduce yourself to my dogs...Rory who's butt half shakes off while he's meeting new people, and Amber who will nuzzle up to anybody that has ever eaten cheese (yes, she can smell it). Let me explain to you how these dogs have been trained, how many people they have met, how they interact with other dogs, and finally how VERY CHOW they are. Then, please stop telling the horror stories about how your brother/sister/aunt/cousin who didn't understand the breed or how to properly socialize them had to put them down or rehome him. Then, feel free to talk about the Chows you met here and how they sat for hours while your kids petted them, how Rory licked hands, and how Amber rolled to her belly for a rub.
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by maikinda »

I agree with Cindy, please don't send your puppy away to be trained. Find a trainer in your area that does "positive reinforcement training". Here is a link to a website that has some great information on training. http://www.peaceablepaws.com/pat-miller.php

Laura
Attachments
Micah tag.jpg
Micah tag.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 8970 times
WyoChowDad
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WyoChowDad »

You've been given some great advice here. I agree that it would be a huge mistake to send a Chow puppy away for training. The puppy needs to learn to respect you. Time spent with your Chow, positive reinforcement training along with socialization will give your puppy everything typically required to make a well adjusted Chow. You will find your Chow will prefer one of you over the other even if it's not obvious all the time. I work from home so all my Chows have bonded closely to me. That said, when it's time for mom to come home they are always anxiously waiting at the door.
I've always found it interesting that my Chows go into a high alert mode when I'm gone for any amount of time. They become very close to my wife and won't let her out of their site if I'm gone. They did the same with my daughter when she was growing up. I know my family is well protected when I'm gone.
If you will encourage friends, family and visitors to pet your puppy and do it correctly(from your puppy's level and under the chin) you will have a Chow that will accept people with no problems. Also remember your puppy will be taking cues from you. If you act comfortable with visitors your Chow will follow your lead. If you become anxious when a visitor comes over so will your Chow. Relax and make sure your visitors are relaxed when approaching your puppy. Nothing is worse than having a scared person approach any dog. I've always let my Chows have access to visitors. Sometimes a visitor will do something that makes a Chow uncomfortable and you'll need to step in and educate that person. I recently had a customer who brought his wife. My Chow Misha kept growling at her. Totally out of character for Misha. Then I saw this young lady starring Misha straight in the eyes. I asked her why she was doing this and she answered "I've never seen such beautiful eyes". Well, she was breaking the rules of meeting a new dog of any breed. After a little instruction with the young lady Misha was allowing her to pet her. I don't care if you have a Poodle, Pitbull or Chow, you are the biggest part of teaching your dog how to behave in this world. With your love, time and instruction you should be able to have a Chow that will be a loving and well behaved companion for life. You will get out what you put in. Educate yourself and find a local trainer that has classes that you both attend and you will most likely have great success. If you send your Chow puppy away you are asking for failure. I don't show my Chows so I would refer to Cindy or Rory's Dad for more advice if you choose to go down that road. I know they agree that until you complete the bonding process your puppy needs to be with you. You will find out like all of us how strong that bond becomes. Until that bond has been well established, I wouldn't confuse your puppy by sending it away.
A Chow's love is something I will never live without. I hope you have the greatest success.
We're all here for you if you need us!

Mike