New Puppy w/ possible entropion

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

Kahlua
Rank 0
Rank 0

New Puppy w/ possible entropion

Post by Kahlua »

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I took him to the Doctor and they diagnosed him with Entropion. We are taking the next steps.
Last edited by Kahlua on Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lynxlover
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: New Puppy w/ possible entropion

Post by Lynxlover »

If your worried about it have the vet do a dye test on the eyes. They'll be able to see if there are any scratches to the eye.
Kahlua
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kahlua »

Thanks guys.
Last edited by Kahlua on Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
WyoChowDad
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by WyoChowDad »

Hello,

I have had two Chows that required Entropian surgery. It sounds and looks like you may have that going on. If you find you need to have it corrected take the time to find a vet who has done it before. I've seen chows that have had entropian over corrected and it isn't pretty. A good vet can correct the entropian and your puppy will recover just fine. Be aware that sometimes an entropian Chow will need to have additional corrections when they get older especially if they are full faced with an abundance of extra skin. The big concern here is to get it corrected before his eye or eyes become injured.
Maybe some of the kind folks here could recommend a vet if you tell us where you are located. It certainly is a common problem in the breed but your breeder should have told you about it. I would call the breeder to discuss it especially if there was no mention of what appears to be an obvious problem.

Best of Luck!

Mike
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Entropion is tough to diagnose in such a young pup, but as Lynx recommended, the dye test is the way to look at it. Vet will look for scratches to the cornea. Based on the photo, that looks more like an infection to me, which could explain the drops. If so, communication is definitely lacking from the vet. Keep in mind, i am not a vet or medical expert. My opinion is based only what i have seen over the years, and you are definitely better to get thorough exams.

Also, from my experience, most breeders will NOT warrantee against entropion or other eye issues. Review your own contract carefully.

It could also be a temporary issue. Chows face structure changes dramatically as they move toward adulthood. What might be an issue now could be outgrown. Don't rush toward surgical fixes unless the dye test shows scratching/ulcers.