Lady Phoenix - New To everything

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

Lady Phoenix
Rank 0
Rank 0

Lady Phoenix - New To everything

Post by Lady Phoenix »

Hi, Im sure I made a post but for some reason it didnt show up, thankfully I was able to cut and paste what I wrote

Hi, firstly not sure if I should post in new to forum, new to Cow Chows or in Generla, but I dont think this is far wrong.

Firstly me.
My name is Penny and Im a live in Carer for an 85 year old lady who suffers from Dementia. I myself have owned dogs in the past but never came across a Chow Chow. Dogs Im great with, Puppies, well, you know the score, most of their life they are adults so unless you are buying dogs on a regular basis can you really say you are great at training puppies. Ive had 3 dogs in my life, a Dalmantion, a Border Collie and a Staffie Cross Lab, all great dogs and all obtained from a Puppy.

My Lady
I have to call her My Lady as Im under a confidentialtiy agreement, so cant reveal many details.
She is 85 and has Dementia and has previoulsy owned a Chow Chow. If the forum will allow this is a portrait of him. I have no idea when she lost him but I know he was old so can only assume he lived a normal age for a Chow Chow

So, 4 or 5 weeks ago my lady decides she wanted a dog. I hunted for a dog, made appointments to see breeders and pounds and each time it wasnt right but each time getting a few more details on what she wanted until I finally discovered she wanted "Sandy Again". So, did some more research and found some lovely pups for sale, lovely Mother and lovely owners. Went to see them last Sunday and in 2 weeks time we pick this lovely little superstar up

Co-Incidently he will be called Sandy. Personally I wanted to keep the name the breeder gave him, Obi Wan Kenobi, but its going to be her dog.

So, cut a long story short, we now own a book (KISS guide to raising a puppy), a bed, a cooling pad, a few toys and its been booked in for the vets for various shots and Im in the process of getting insurance.

So, thats all I can think of as an introduction.

So, my question really is this

Can you think of any more questions I should be asking and can you answer them

The most obvious one I can think of is who should train it. The dog is going to be My Ladys but I dont feel she will be able to train it properly. Im worried that if I train it that he will become attached to me which defeats the whole object of getting her a dog. SHould I be asking this in general?
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Lady Phoenix - New To everything

Post by ski »

First of all...what an adorable puppy! The portrait of the original Sandy is amazing.
I have never had a chow puppy but now I am the proud owner of two Chow rescues. Both came to us about the age of two.
I also had a number of breeds prior to the chows including a border collie. I must admit...chows are a very unique breed and nothing like any of my other dogs. They require a strong presence and I doubt an 85 year old woman can fill that role. They can be very stubborn...somewhat aloof...and require a strong leader. I absolutely love the breed and have had my chow boys for nine years now. They are a joy and I enjoy their distinct personalities.
Lady Phoenix
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Lady Phoenix - New To everything

Post by Lady Phoenix »

As I have made two threads and both have replies Im going to ask if a Mod would lock this thread and Ill reply on the other one?