A Pure Chow? Rough or Smooth? New chow owner.

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

nadschwarz
Rank 0
Rank 0

A Pure Chow? Rough or Smooth? New chow owner.

Post by nadschwarz »

I'm a first-time chow owner and I have been wondering if my dog's hair will grow longer when he's older. Is his coat considered rough or smooth? Is he a pure breed chow? or a mix? Are his ears suppose to be this floppy? and how many months before they are to be triangular like other chows? His name's Hugo and he's currently 3 months old and somewhat fluffy. It would be great if someone could take a look and comment your thoughts.
He's 3 months old in these pictures.
rsz_img_0319.jpg
rsz_img_0319.jpg (70.12 KiB) Viewed 3748 times
rsz_img_0456.jpg
rsz_img_0456.jpg (92.38 KiB) Viewed 3748 times
rsz_1img_0446.jpg
rsz_1img_0446.jpg (74.7 KiB) Viewed 3748 times
Cutterpillow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: A Pure Chow? Rough or Smooth? New chow owner.

Post by Cutterpillow »

What a cute puppy! As for your concerns, there are few things you should consider to know if your puppy is a pure chow chow or not.

1. Certificate ( If you have a registered certificate of your puppy then this is the main proof that your puppy is pure)
2. Solid Blue-black tongue
3. Chow Ears erect mostly from 2.5 months of age up to 3.5 months. sometimes it takes earlier than that and it depends on the line of the chow chow
4. It is too early i think for us to say if it is rough or smooth because he's just 3 months of age. He might blow his coat a little bit very soon because that's the time that his puppy coat will progressively change to adult coat. Nonetheless, for now i'll say it is a rough coat. I found out that if the coat is very soft like a pillow or cotton, it is rough because it tangles easily unlike to the smooth coat which has a thicker coat but smooth to brush.

These are just my opinions and try to look this site. this might help http://www.xin-feng.nl/en/550e-chowcoat.html
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: A Pure Chow? Rough or Smooth? New chow owner.

Post by Rory's Dad »

Rough coated chow. At least mostly Chow if not completely purebred...cues include the tail curl and paw shape/how they lay. Eyes are almond shaped, muzzle is correct. Ears are triangular and although they are still down, larger Chows can take a while for them to stand.

Not visible in the photos, but check the stance on the rear hinds. You should have a fairly straight stance will little bend at the knee. Most likely looks like he's standing on tippy toes.

Red coat with black undercoat is very much chow-like. Finally, check the mouth and tongue. Should be completely black as he matures, although some pink at this age can still be normal. Should still be primarily dark.