My 9 month old little darling.

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

skitzie
Rank 0
Rank 0

My 9 month old little darling.

Post by skitzie »

Never being owned by a Chow, I've had my girl from 5 wks. old. Mom was only 2 yrs old and was not good about feeding pups. They hurt her teats so she got up and walked away. She had 8 pups. This was her first litter. That's why I got her at such a young age [the pups were eating and drinking by then too]. She was in a puppy program under her vets care regularly for the first 6 months of age to make sure everything was done well to give her a good start. She also spent several hours a week at the vets to expose her to other people and animals as part of her socialization. Since she missed Mom's training, sibling play learning, etc. I had to fill all the roles and had fun doing it. I'm was doggy Mom and her own personal sibling playmate yelping when she played too rough. I socialized her well and continue to do so. She goes most places with me and is introduced to a variety of situations and people. The end result is a pleasant & playful, affectionate [to family] and friendly [once I giver her the approval] little girl. She stays pretty close to me and in true Chow form, she is suspicious of strangers and that's ok with me. She was a dominate pup so I can't say it wasn't a bit of a challenge and true to herself, she presents me with a new challenge for the alpha position, monthly at least. So, that's getting better as she matures and has accepted me as the pack leader. She still pounds her beautiful chest now and then but eventually she lets me win. *wink*
My problem is grooming. Her Mom is a black smooth coat, Dad is a rough red coat. Born in July and living in NEOhio's snowbelt with our brutal, cold winters, my beautiful baby is now looking mangy. I don't know if she's simply blowing her winter coat, growing out of her puppy coat or doing both, all at once.
I don't know if she'll be rough or smooth or something in between. Two weeks ago, she was a beautiful golden very lionesque baby doll. Now things are changing. Her undercoat and hiney is looking black. She has long black tipped guard hairs from mane to tail. Her bib and mane is getting darker and very cottony. Her face and paws are a light brown.
I brush her daily and sometimes I have to do only a section at a time because that under coat seems to be matting ... or is it? Her mane and bib are cottony and tangle so easily. Just petting her creates problems with that 'clumping' of the undercoat. Getting a brush/comb through that undercoat is hard. I do eventually get down to the skin but each time we brush, its like we're back to step one again. I feel like I'm destroying her lovely coat, the fur comes out in handfuls, it's long in places and short in places. Is all of this normal?
I have all the tools. Grooming table, pin brush, dematting tool, safari comb, 'The Stuff', slicker brushes, etc. I'd like to groom her myself because it's a nice time spent together. She won't lay on her side on the table. Seems it would be easier if she would. She slips out of any grooming noose I tried.
Every groomer I took her too wants to 'shave her down' and I won't allow it. She's a good girl and very patient but I think it's just hard to find a groomer that knows anything about the Chow, so they want to take the simple route.
Any suggestions re: her grooming are appreciated. Can someone recommend a good shampoo and coat conditioner?
Saige is bothered by one ear too with typical indications of a problem. Vet prescribed Entederm Ointment to no avail. All we got was greasy ear and no relief. I am making an appt. to see another vet tomorrow because I simply cannot afford our regular vets fees anymore. At least that's my thinking tonight. I may change my mind because she is familiar with that office and staff and the doc since day one. I don't really want to change too much especially when she doesn't feel well. That ear is really annoying her.
The vet said to feed her Purina Puppy Chow which she doesn't like very well. I worry about her appetite too. I've tried Iams and other good quality puppy foods and she doesn't like them either. She's only 'grazing' and consumes only about a cup a day. She's never been a good eater but she weighs over 40# now. I just don't think a cup a day is enough. Maybe that ear is causing her to loose her appetite? She wants what I'm eating. I don't want to start that whole begging thing. But If I were to prepare [her own] food for her at home, what should that consist of?
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me ... I'm really happy to have found this site!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: My 9 month old little darling.

Post by Rory's Dad »

Congrats on your Chow pup and the relationship you are building...nice to see that.

Grooming can be way expensive for Chows as most groomers consider them a 'giant' breed because of all the fur and can charge upwards of $75-$100 per visit, and the bonding time is so important. Since you have already invested in all the tools, you might as well spend the time rather than the money.

At 9 months and in your climate, its quite likely you are seeing both puppy shed and seasonal blow. If you brush frequently you are encouraging that adult fur to grow in. Would love to see a pic or two. The black guard hairs are a pretty good indicator of adult coloring, but look at the ears as well. I have reds and they have mahogony ears at young age and black undercoat. I have no experience with smooths, so can't offer much advice on how they grow into their fur.

As for the grooming, use the table and a slip collar/grooming arm. No need for lying on side. Get her used to standing and groom from that position. Use a rake on the rear to thin out the butt area and to clean out any debris that seems to accumulate there. A quick run (like a single pass) through the rest of the fur with the rake should stimulate the skin and remove dead fur. Next, use the comb to get through the remaining thick undercoat or to work loose any knots (ear base). Finally, either the finishing brush or pin brush. If the pin doesnt flow through the fur, you probably have more work to do. That's my method anyway.

As for sprays, it does help to use a leave in conditioner or finishing spray. I actually use two. Both are Paul Mitchell products...one is Oatmeal base and the other is Tea Tree. Have good success with either. I show my dogs and the Oatmeal has a more palatable scent, so i use that one just before going into the ring. The Tea Tree seems to attack knots a bit better.

Haven't run into the ear issue, but its most likely caused by a thicker than normal growth of hair that blocks air from entering the ear. You could trim that back a bit to see if it makes a difference, other than that, don't allow any sort of shaving or coat trimming other than paw shaping if you use a pro groomer.

Finally, if you are comfortable with your current vet i would stick with them. The next one may not be much cheaper and Chow friendly vets are difficult to find.
DrewBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DrewBear »

skitzie wrote:I worry about her appetite too. I've tried Iams and other good quality puppy foods and she doesn't like them either. She's only 'grazing' and consumes only about a cup a day. She's never been a good eater but she weighs over 40# now. I just don't think a cup a day is enough. Maybe that ear is causing her to loose her appetite? She wants what I'm eating. I don't want to start that whole begging thing. But If I were to prepare [her own] food for her at home, what should that consist of?
Chows are often finicky eaters. Here's the site that was suggested on this forum to find quality puppy kibble: "go to http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com it will rank the various dog foods available and you should try to stick to 5 star foods but no less than 4 stars…" I decided on http://www.chewy.com/dog/taste-wild-pac ... y/dp/34837 and chewy.com was also suggested here as a good place to buy kibble at good prices.

I don't feed scraps from the table, but I do save "people food" to mix in with the dry kibble. A bit of veggie oil or broth also helps add variety to the kibble. I've also added bits of scrambled egg, canned tuna, turkey burger and crumbles of various treats (liver, duck, etc.). Even with the extra bits, there are some days my 7 month old pup just is not interested in eating much. He's got plenty of meat on his ribs, so I don't worry.

Some folks do cook and/or feed raw. I haven't ventured there yet, so I'll let others chime in on those topics.
'Bear' 1996 - 2011
skitzie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by skitzie »

Thanks for the replys. You guys are so darn helpful!
So far, she hasn't wanted to stay in the grooming noose. She's like a little Hoodini and slips right out of it. Guess I have to snug it up some. She's such a good girl on the table. You suggested Paul Mitchell conditioner. Is it ok to use 'people' hair products? I thought not ... because of the ph. Maybe it's just the people shampoo we're not to use?
My daughter gives her dog the food you recommended. I will try a small bag of that also to see if she eats better. She gained a couple ounces so at least she's not loosing any weight. She might just be a 'grazer' forever. Who knows, things change pretty often around here. *smile*
Took her to the vets. Otitis Media. Now on antibiotics and ear flushes.
I still don't understand the drooling. I never had a dog that drooled. It's not from drinking. She pants and saliva just drips off her tongue soaking her bib. yuck! I try to dry it and of course that turns into a game of 'steal the towel' haha
Vet says all done teething so it's not that. I'm thinking maybe it hurts to swallow with the earache? Time will tell.
Tried to upload a couple photos but the site says the files are too large. *sigh* I really wanted to share the mess her coat is in compared to a couple months ago.
Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

The Paul Mitchell products i mentioned are pet products, not human. They are actually marketed under the John Paul:Pet line, so my mistake for not mentioning that, but i didnt have them in front of me at the time. The bottles have the exact coloring and lettering as the human/salon items.

My female was a sloppy drinker as a pup, but outgrew if after a bit. If that is an issue, look into a bib (believe it or not, they work). Look for elastic tethers rather than the tie type. My male constantly has his tongue out, and dribbles drool, and i have no cure for that one other than tapping him on the chin and encouraging him to close his mouth...so so results.

I would definitely upgrade the food, but introduce it slowly. I have had great results with Earthborn Holistic, particularly the bison blend. Other brands mentioned in the replies are also decent, as is the Nutro line. Not a fan of either Purina or Iams. They are mass market products that contain a large percentage of filler and byproduct. Either could be contributing to the fur issues you mention.