My chow chow is not eating well

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

Cutterpillow
Rank 0
Rank 0

My chow chow is not eating well

Post by Cutterpillow »

Hello. I just got my chow chow about 3 weeks ago and the problem is she's not eating well (probably). She only eats small amount of puppy food. When she's 11 weeks old (april 9) she just weighed 4 kg (8.8 lbs) and now almost her 13th week of age (april 20) is 4.75 kg (10.45 lbs). I think it is half-below the average weight of a chow chow during this age. I'm asking you some suggestions in order for her to eat more and tips.

More informations about my chow chow
- she is a female chow chow born on january 24, 2014
- she just got her anti-rabies yesterday
- she got 2 shots of deworming already.
- she received total of 4 shots of 5-in-1 vaccine and is scheduled to get her last shot next week (booster)
- i give her 2 ml of papi multi-vitamin once-a-day (as suggested by the veterinarian)
- i give him 50 ml of nido milk (human milk) 3x a day after she finished eating
- i give him puppy food 3x a day. Unfortunately she only eats average of 4 scoop of standard spoon per serving
- i also have 3 kinds of puppy food. I give her all at the same time so she can choose which one she likes at that period. Sometimes she chooses the other.
- i don't give her any human food like rice, eggs etc.

The picture is taken on march 24 the night i got her.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (252.75 KiB) Viewed 3850 times
Cutterpillow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: My chow chow is not eating well

Post by Cutterpillow »

This photo taken on april 19.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (205.64 KiB) Viewed 3849 times
DrewBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DrewBear »

Welcome to the forum. Your pup is a cutie and looks normal. Weight varies greatly in Chows (40-100+ lbs. adult weight), so try not to worry too much. I know that's not always easy. I also know that there's probably a wide range of opinions among vets on various topics, but here are my thoughts/opinions on some of the info you provided. (my responses in blue) I don't intend any criticism, but you may want to get a 2nd opinion from another vet.

- she just got her anti-rabies yesterday
Rabies at 12 weeks seems early. The earliest I've read about is 14 weeks and the most recent research seems to suggest it's best delaying it until 20+ weeks.
- she received total of 4 shots of 5-in-1 vaccine and is scheduled to get her last shot next week (booster)
That seems like too many shots for a 12 week old pup. Mine received a total of 3 vaccinations (4-in-1) by 14 weeks & his rabies at 18 weeks. This is just my experience. I don't know if regional/country differences in vaccinations would account for a 5th vaccination.
- i give her 2 ml of papi multi-vitamin once-a-day (as suggested by the veterinarian)
I'm not sure what this is, but a good puppy kibble should have all the necessary vitamins.
- i give him 50 ml of nido milk (human milk) 3x a day after she finished eating
Human milk?! That's the first time I've heard of such a thing. That must be rich in fat calories and probably affects her appetite.
- i give him puppy food 3x a day. Unfortunately she only eats average of 4 scoop of standard spoon per serving
3x/day is fine. If you mean 4 tablespoons (~59 cc), that doesn't seem enough for a 12 week old, 10.5 lbs. puppy. But the milk you give after her meal also counts as food and I don't know how calorie rich that is.
- i also have 3 kinds of puppy food. I give her all at the same time so she can choose which one she likes at that period. Sometimes she chooses the other.
- i don't give her any human food like rice, eggs etc.
Each pup is different, but I decided to give mine one kind of kibble and add in bits of other food to vary the flavor. I don't add salt to anything: scrambled eggs, boiled beef or chicken w/a bit of the broth, ground turkey, etc. Once again, this is just my experience. I'm sure there are many different ways to feed a pup and I don't claim that my choice is "best". Just something different for you to consider.
'Bear' 1996 - 2011
Cutterpillow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cutterpillow »

Thank you for your kind and detailed response! I stopped giving him human milk since i read your reply. She also completed all of her shots from the vets. I still give her daily vitamins (as recommended) but the problem is still there. She really eats less than it should. Now she is 17 weeks old and weighs ONLY 6.875 KG (15.125 lbs) 47% below than chow chow average from puppyweights.com. I gave her raw egg mixed with some dog food. She loved it at first but started to refuse on my third serving. I also tried to give her different dry dog food but she only ate few. I gave her canned dog food. Same thing, she liked at first and refused quickly after 'til now. She is very active and energetic tho. Also her coat gets out easily when i rub it litely. I'm kinda upset because her vet always says it is because of the hot weather since i live in the philippines and it's summer time. I know that is a good reason but not enough and i want to do something about it considering that i see other chow chows here which look normal and healthy. =(
Cutterpillow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cutterpillow »

And please let me correct something. to Human milk that i mentioned, i'm talking about milk for human. Milks that we get commercially. Or maybe powder milk. sorry about that. hahaha