Potty Training Adjustment

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Potty Training Adjustment

Post by Pinoy51 »

If I understand correct you want Buddha to pee and poop where he sleeps. If that what it is, you have the answer to your problem right there.
the last place a Chow likes to soil is his sleeping area. And I mean area, my three Chows are having a 50 sqm sleeping place and it is always clean for more than a year now. Each morning they rush out to their potty place, which is a grassy area on the ground floor. They sleep on the 2nd floor roof deck with a closed door. So last thing in the evening is visiting the potty place and first thing in the morning. During the day they have access to all areas of the house.
If I'm correct then you need to find a third area away from the food and the sleeping place which he can use.
In the absence of anything better he will always use an area which is not that often frequented by him but easily approachable.
This needs to be addressed soon, before he develops a habit.
And please never, ever punish for mishaps. Always praise when done properly.
Best regards
Pinoy51
kuma_chan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kuma_chan »

im a first time chow owner as well but this is how i did it with my boy. his first 2/3 days in our house he pretty much did his potty in the kitchen. don't know why but that is where he preferred to do it. when i bought him his crate (to sleep in) i was surprised coz he's able to more or less control it and only pee or poo when he's out of it. so the moment someone wakes up (whoever wakes up the earliest in our fam --- definitely not me) they will open his crate and our front door and he will go to the side of our house to relieve himself. eventually it became his normal spot. i really think crate training is effective (for me at least) if done properly. once you let him out of his crate, bring him to the spot you want him to potty. he'll learn to do it on his own later on.
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

sorry didn't see your follow up question for a while.
It takes a lot of patience if a wrong program has been wired, in your case "where is the potty place".
Specially if it happens to be inside the house i know how easy it is to freak out, bad smell ruined carpet etc.
Now here is how to do it:
Puppys need to go 5 to 10minutes after they eat and nearly everytime they wake up.
What needs to be done is to observe him, bring him immediately to the potty place after waking up and stay there until it happens. now, praise, praise, praise and praise again, give a favorite treat and praise him one more time.
make a big fuzz out of the fact he did it right, actually in your case should not take much of faking :lol:
obviously same goes for the potty after eating.
by the way the older they get the more they will put their nose down on the floor and start circling around an area before they relief themselves. So watch him starting to walk around with the nose down, and grab him and bring him to the potty place and wait.... praise etc.
No other way! Obviously crating will work too, as he don't want to soil the crate, so once he wakes up just bring him to the potty place and.... you know by now what to do.
good luck.
Oh by the way there will be re-lapse even if he starts doing it right, if you happen to see it give a strong negative command "stop, bad boy" or whatever you use to tell him he screwed up and bring to him to the potty place for a while, like a time out and to show him where it should have happen.
If you only see the result, get over it quietly, don't do anything to poor puppy and wait for the next opportunity to show him how it is done properly. Always remember an expensive carpet or any other floor decoration doesn't mean anything for your dog. So don't get mad, if he isn't perfectly house broken, keep working on it.
Best regards
Pinoy51