Quick Question

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

macmannequin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Quick Question

Post by macmannequin »

Hi guys, I have a 10 week old chow named Celiné as you may know and it seems as if everytime she comes in after a walk she gets overly excited . She runs from one room to another to another back and forth (I'm assuming she's just playing as puppies do) but everytime we attempt to get her she starts jumping from couch to floor then repeating and when she does lie down for a split second and we try to get her she tries to bite and starts running all over again. Open to hearing all stories and advice . Thanks again \:D/
chow4life
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Quick Question

Post by chow4life »

Ha ha. I miss those days. Typical puppy chow behavior with there crazy bursts of energy. Doesn't sound like anything to worry about. My Matilda use to go crazy outside in the back yard and jump into or over my bushes. I would try to catch her and she loved it. It would turn into a game. She did eventually grow out of it. She is now three years and does her zoomies a couple of times a day and is very mellow the rest. Enjoy your puppy:-)
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Yes, as Chow4Life stated, those bursts of energy and playfulness are commonly referred to as zoomies.

You can try to be involved, but it depends on the pup. They may just wish to run uninterrupted, or they could like you to be part of it. My advice, look out for the swinging head and flashing teeth. Puppy teeth are sharp? And there is no aggressive intention involved. It's a phase that will not last, and it can be fun to watch if you have the right frame of mind.

Be careful with the jumping though. If they land the wrong way, for example on a slick wood floor, you could be looking at a knee or hip strain.
macmannequin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by macmannequin »

Ha ha ha. Thank you for sharing that story Chow4Life about Matilda. It's very fun and entertaining as Rory's Dad stated. I just see her getting very tired but she keeps going lol. I'll be very mindful of her jumping spurts being as though I have wood floors in the living room. Thank you again :D