Need Help

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

macmannequin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Need Help

Post by macmannequin »

Hello everyone, I just recently got a chow for my 8 year old Saturday. She's our first chow :D . We've had a yorkie and pitbull but this is our first chow. She is 9weeks old and black. At first of course she would bark and growl at us because she didn't know us. But once we assured her that we are her family now and that we love her, she came around. I've been reading maybe too much. I've read on one of these forum topics that you can't play with her in a sense that she is play biting. (P.S she's teething) and also when we come in the door she is so excited she jumps up on us and she's ready to play (I find it harmless) but I read that I shouldn't allow that because once she is bigger she will think she can do that. Also she was crate trained when I got her. I let her roam the house. I'm not sure when I'm supposed to put her in the cage and/or for how long. She goes in the crate when she wants to rest. Can anyone help me with this. All stories and advice is helpful. Thank you

I've also been socializing her. Is too much socializing bad?! She plays with my 1 year old niece and she loves my fiancé .
DrewBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Need Help

Post by DrewBear »

Welcome to the world of Chows! Others with much more experience will chime in, but here are my initial thoughts.
macmannequin wrote:I've read on one of these forum topics that you can't play with her in a sense that she is play biting. (P.S she's teething)
Pups bite/nip/mouth because that's how they would interact with their own kind. I think serious teething happens later and you'll want to already have her trained to gnaw on chew toys of various sorts. You want to train bite inhibition immediately, so rough play that allows biting should be discouraged. You may be able to avoid the bites while roughhousing, but your 8 yr. old may not. Your pup may or may not be able to distinguish play between adult & child. Use a rope toy or something else similar when playing. I tied various chew things on a paracord and my 15 week old pup will chase it as I yank it around. It's also a good way to teach "leave it" and "fetch".
...and also when we come in the door she is so excited she jumps up on us and she's ready to play (I find it harmless) but I read that I shouldn't allow that because once she is bigger she will think she can do that.
Too much jumping may also risk joint injuries in young Chows. She's going to get heavier very quickly, so I agree that jumping should also be discouraged. It's one of the first things covered in basic puppy school.
Also she was crate trained when I got her. I let her roam the house. I'm not sure when I'm supposed to put her in the cage and/or for how long. She goes in the crate when she wants to rest.
If she's mostly housebroken, then that sounds fine. My pup does more or less the same thing with the crate, but he is nearly always supervised when roaming the house. Generally you lock her in the crate when she's going to be unsupervised. Preferably that's when she's also going to sleep/nap.
I've also been socializing her. Is too much socializing bad?! She plays with my 1 year old niece and she loves my fiancé .
No such thing as too much socializing. You will want to introduce her to all types of people, not just family. I have a large extended family, but I also take him to puppy play group where he gets to play with pups and be handled by strangers. The pet store is also a good place to bring him to meet strangers. I let people hold him for a few minutes. He's not exactly happy about it and makes sure I'm still around, but he doesn't growl or bite. Chows will almost always remain protective of immediate family/pack, so I don't worry that he'll lose that instinct. My first Chow grew up to mostly ignore strangers. He'd tolerate petting when away from home and once he knew someone was welcome at home, but he remained a great guard dog. He never bit anyone and was especially good with kid's clumsy petting and pulling.

Post photos when you get a chance. Here's some photos of my pup: http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=21000
'Bear' 1996 - 2011
macmannequin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by macmannequin »

Thank you so much DrewBear. I really needed that. Well I definitely will discourage the biting during playtime. She's a big girl she weighs 18 pounds already. The previous owner leaves her food and water in her crate at all times I'm not so sure if I should do the same. It's definitely a learning experience w. chows. We love her so much. She has a puppy playtime class this coming weekend so that should be awesome. Thanks again :D
IMG_20140119_141558.jpg
IMG_20140119_141558.jpg (68.42 KiB) Viewed 2794 times
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

As for the biting/nipping, its fairly simple. Any behavior that will not be acceptable when she is a fully grown Chow needs to be curbed now. Imagine that same scenario when she have adult teeth and full bite pressure. Use replacement therapy to teach her what is acceptable chew toys and what is not. Every time she tries to nibble on something outside the acceptable zone, give her a firm NO, move her mouth off the item, and give her a chew toy that belongs to her. As she starts to get it, introduce a "leave it" command. This will be extremely helpful when she is outside and decides that a dead mouse or an oil soaked rag is within her reach. You really dont want such items in her mouth.

You can never over-socialize. Chows have a natural protection gene. You aren't going to over-train it. Have her meet and greet everyone you can think of. Young kids, teens, adults, seniors. Other animals too. Good luck with cats, squirrels, and rabbits, but definitely other dogs. Large and small, puppies and adult dogs. She needs to learn proper introduction and manners with all of the above. She will still work to protect your home. Odd noises and strangers will still need your assurances, but she should learn to accept that once you tell her 'its ok'.

The crate holds 2 purposes. As a puppy it defines her home. Chows are very clean dogs and most will never soil their 'home'. The crate is a small space and easy for her to identify. As she grows, you expand that space to include your home. Training the dog to head outside for 'business' is a natural expansion of her definition. You just need to be consistent when she is let out of the crate to the great outdoors. It also provides her with a safe zone. When she has had enough of the tugging and hugging she can go into the crate and not be bothered. Try to make it a happy space. Provide a toy or a treat when she is going into the crate. Try not to reach in and pull her out, let her come out on her own terms.
macmannequin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by macmannequin »

Thanks Rory's Dad =D= That was excellent advice. I've been trying the firm "NO" when she gets too excited and nibbles on anyone by accident we quickly replace our hand w. a chew toy. It's definitely a work in progress. This is just her third day with us. She's doing great so far. She doesn't cry at night and in the morning when she does it's to go outside. So I will definitely keep everyone posted on how the training goes. :)