Chow nibbling on hind legs...

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

Lynaemtz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chow nibbling on hind legs...

Post by Lynaemtz »

Hello!! I'm new to the Chow Chow world. Our baby boy is 9 weeks and an absolute joy! He is constantly nibbling at his hing legs.... Is this normal??
Attachments
Chato.jpg
Chato.jpg (126.43 KiB) Viewed 2768 times
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Chow nibbling on hind legs...

Post by Pinoy51 »

Hi Lyn,
constant nibbling is not normal. Try to inspect the area he nibbles by parting the fur until you can see the skin.
If it looks redish there is an irritation. check for ticks or fleas. Normal skin looks white.
You can have also have it done by a vet, as you will need anyway advise how to treat it.
Chows have sensitive skin, also food allergy can cause itchiness. Please have it checked.
Best regards
Pinoy51
Lynaemtz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Lynaemtz »

Thank you!! I appreciate the advice. I will have him checked!
DrewBear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DrewBear »

Congrats on the new baby! Mine just turned 13 weeks old. (http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=21000) He's nearly doubled in weight since he was 8 weeks old. Time goes so fast when they're this tiny. One of the many good things is they're much easier to groom at this age. I keep the grooming sessions short both for my sake and his. Since puppies sleep a lot, there are many opportunities to groom for 5-10 min. when they're in deep sleep. I have a smooth-coated Chow, so he's a easier to groom, but he seems to enjoy it even when he's partly awake. Grooming is the best time to inspect for skin and other physical issues.
'Bear' 1996 - 2011