My big boy Kuma

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

kuma_chan
Rank 0
Rank 0

My big boy Kuma

Post by kuma_chan »

i've always wanted to have my own dog and immediately fell in love with how a chow chow looked like while i was searching for a breed to get. i've read that they can be pretty affectionate when properly taken cared of and trained. let's see.

so i brought Kuma home almost 3 weeks ago and he's now 3 months old. he grew up so much already that's why i refer to him as my big boy. he initially bonded with my cousin since he's the one who's pretty much with him the whole day so im trying to bond with him more. i've taught him to sit first while waiting to be fed and he got it pretty quick. he's also potty-trained and only does his business outside the house altho there are some accidents especially when we're asleep. we let him sleep in his crate coz the first few days he was home he wasn't able to sleep well. we only put him in there at night and when we had to clean the house and the garage. ah and when my nieces and nephew were here last week. i think he got pissed coz we put him there longer than we usually do. i think he went a little cray after but now he's pretty much back to his normal self. #-o we'll never do it again.

being a first time chow owner, here are some of my observations:

1. he's a sloppy drinker so he's always wet
2. he likes to put his paws on his water tray
3. he smells well like a normal dog. :lol: i initially bought an organic dog soap but he stinks even more after. the soap im using now is better but im planning to get a dog shampoo next. just to see. i think his smell has more to do with the fact that he's always wet coz everytime we blow dry him he smelled better.
4. he has ticks. he got them from his original owner who had several dogs as well. i will be using frontline plus so i hope that problem will be solved.
5. chow chows are really independent-minded. sometimes he would respond to our call immediately but sometimes he would just look at us. funny when we were trying to take his photo the last time he suddenly turned his back on us and just showed us his butt. :P

so this is my big boy. one of those rare times that he's dry. i think.

Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: My big boy Kuma

Post by Pinoy51 »

Congratulation, Kuma is as Chow as a Chow can be :lol: Great looking guy.
Be careful with the ticks. Chow tend to have sensitive skin and hot spots and rushes are very common.
He wouldn't look nearly as good with parts of his fur pulled out and the itchiness will take the best part of him.
The wet fur and the smell are related too. I think some people call it "stinky chin". you have to regular dry up the area to prevent the smell, I use hair dryer every other day, before he goes to sleep, so there are a few hours of dry fur :D .
Kuma is a lot like Simba, he hates being photographed and usually puts his head down and looks the other way.
And the independent mind is what draws us all to Chows, they're just great companions capable of doing things the way the want it.
Best regards
Pinoy51
kuma_chan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kuma_chan »

thank you. i hate ticks and im sure dogs hate them even more. i gave him his frontline drop and i wonder if it's ok to use the spray one on him after a week just to make sure the ticks are gone or just wait for a month for the next drop.
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

If the ticks are not too many and he doesn't seem to be bothered, the frontline is enough to get rid of the parasites.
if he consistenly scratches a shampoo or spray can bring faster relief.
i would leave a least a week between the frontline and other chemical treatment.
Best regards
Pinoy51
ski
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ski »

He is a looker!!! Congratulations! They do have an independent streak and I wouldn't change a thing.