Why is my chow chow's fur short? 1st time dog owner

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Why is my chow chow's fur short? 1st time dog owner

Post by Constantina »

Your baby looks like a smooth coat 100% chow chow. My Chestnut's ears did not stand up till she was seven months old. So I think your Chow Chow is pure but with a smooth coat instead of rough. Check out Thor and Bear on this sight and you will be wishing your baby were a smooth. They are just too adorable.
licorish
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by licorish »

Constantina wrote:Your baby looks like a smooth coat 100% chow chow. My Chestnut's ears did not stand up till she was seven months old. So I think your Chow Chow is pure but with a smooth coat instead of rough. Check out Thor and Bear on this sight and you will be wishing your baby were a smooth. They are just too adorable.
Thank you! :) I've been pretty upset lately, because chow chow breeders here in the Philippines kept on saying he's a mixed breed. I mean, I still love him that much even if he's a mixed breed... But then again, it gets so frustrating whenever people tell me "oh he's not pure chow" or "he's a mix of something" like I don't have the right to call him a chowchow or something. :/ but reading posts on this site really makes me glad. :) thank you very much...

I got another baby, a cream female chowchow. She gets along well with Chicco. Her name is Queem. Like a Queem Puff. Haha. She's so fluffy and she likes Chicco to bite on her fur whenever they play.
feitan172
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by feitan172 »

Hi, chicco looks like my akashi in terms of fur. He will turn 4 months on March 10. My brother who has gone abroad to work left the pup to me, he was just 2 months old then. He doesnt have any papers so I could not really tell if he was a pure chow, I also did not bother to ask my brother any details since akashi was just too handsome and very adorable for me to care if he is pure chow or not :D
Attachments
1888522_644686585567769_2105838007_n.jpg
1888522_644686585567769_2105838007_n.jpg (56.22 KiB) Viewed 2598 times
1904054_649506655085762_313863441_n.jpg
1904054_649506655085762_313863441_n.jpg (71.77 KiB) Viewed 2598 times
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Your puppy is one 100% adorable and such a lovely colour. :D

You can make your puppies ears stand up if you want by taping the two sides together for a week or two....this doesn't hurt them but allows them to get used to that position. It is almost always successful and many breeders have to do this now and then for puppies who may have one or both ears down. Chows vary so much from country to country that it is hard to say from the UK whether he is pure or not but he certainly looks mostly/all chow to me and is definitely going to be a smooth coat.

Creams in the UK are not thought of as defective with non black noses. Most creams have what is called a dudley or brick nose and it is only in North America (I think) that such a big deal is made of them supposedly having to have black noses doe showing. This prevents a lot of very good creams making their mark in the show ring. Here it is not a consideration But it does allow you to distinguish fairly easily between a fawn (cinnamon) and a cream as a fawn should never have a brisk nose. Creams can range from almost pure white through to a deep reddish cream but if they have the brick nose then they are still technically classified as cream. The genes that regulate the colour of coat and colour of nose are two completely different sets of genes and it is quite complicated.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.