Am I socializing Ted correctly?

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

Ted
Rank 0
Rank 0

Am I socializing Ted correctly?

Post by Ted »

Hi, new chow chow owner here, his name's Ted, I wanted to ask if I have been socializing him correctly, he's about 2.5 months old and sleep and eat a lot, there are 7 people in my house, he has met them them all and being real friendly with them, we can also pet him while he eats. The only problem I have with him right now is he's not yet potty train, other than that he's a good baby.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Am I socializing Ted correctly?

Post by Rory's Dad »

2.5 months or about 10 weeks, so he may not have the potty training down yet, but should be well on his way.

As for the socializing, it is great that he is friendly to family members. He needs to be exposed to other people though. As in strangers. He needs to get out and about. Head to the local pet store that allows dogs inside. Go to the dog park and introduce him to the people and dogs that are there. All types...young children, older folks, men and women. Let him meet big dogs and small, toy breeds and giant sized.

That is going to socialize him. Walk him in the neighborhood so there are no surprises and so he can patiently greet any person or dog he comes across.
JammyJoy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Am I socializing Ted correctly?

Post by JammyJoy »

Well, the most important part of training your new Chow is proper socialization. The truth is that given the nature of the breed, socialization is the key to a happy and healthy dog. Just keep in mind that given the breed’s reputation, it is important to socialize your Chow so it is completely reliable, open and friendly to strangers. A Chow that is not socialized can become aggressive and pose a liability for the owner...Great source!