Rescued a chow from an abusive home!

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

cottoncandyfox
Rank 0
Rank 0

Rescued a chow from an abusive home!

Post by cottoncandyfox »

So i rescued my Nanu from an abusive home, at 11 weeks of age, im new to the breed, but of course before getting her, i researched the breed and understand they are very protective and do show aggression towards strangers! Nanu is 4 months now, but still has some signs of aggression. When i first got her, she would launch at people at bite them, face, fingers, feet, what ever it was that was in front of her. ive trained her to the best of my abilities but still have a few things i need help with. She still barks at every sound she hears, which i don't mind to much knowing they do this to ward off strangers. She also still nips at peoples hands, when they try to pet her even after i introduced her, and even after they have given her a treat which she willingly took. She picks fights with older dogs, or smaller dogs no matter the size difference and bites my feet if i try to stop her. i socialize her with all sorts of animals, and people but no matter how much times i do, she doesnt let people talk to me with out barking at them, or let other animals approach me or sit on my lap! Could this be because she is insecure, or just over protective of me? She knows her commands and listens, i can walk her without a leash and she obeys, also acts like its the end of the world if i leave her for an hour at home! Any tips would be great!!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Rescued a chow from an abusive home!

Post by Rory's Dad »

Keep with the socializing, she will get used to other dogs and people once she is treated normally.

Try to instruct new people to approach her from the front and lower than her head. She is likely head shy, most chows are and certainly those that have suffered mistreatment. She will be more confident with that approach and not have to worry about blind spots.
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

I would recommend a tough love approach with her.
She is intelligent enough to understand that she is being send out e.g. for wrong behaviour.
Nipping on hands not letting somebody else near you are serious unwanted behaviours which can get out of hand easily.
Put her on time our for this kind of unwanted behaviour, only let her back to you once she is calm, continue to ignore her for a while. You need to own the space around you only let her approach you when you want it.
You need to establish more boundries for her. Don't feel sorry for her due to her past. She lives in the now, do the same.
Only give affection when she displays calm behaviour keep on introducing her to other people and animals.It will be a long journey.
Best regards
Pinoy51
cottoncandyfox
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cottoncandyfox »

Ive out her in a time out but all she does is get confused, the women i got her from kept her in a kennel to avoid her hurting anyone in the family, so if i put her in her kennel she freaks out and crys, shes gotten a bit better now that weve moved into a bigger house, but since im babysitting a pregnant husky, she is more relaxed even tho she trys to touch the puppys and gets nipped by the mama! she has no fear of anything or anyone, its a bit scary but thanks for the help, people just tell me to keep at it and she will do fine! it could just be the aura of people also from what i heard, she can be stand offish if she feels tension from them
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by maikinda »

Try to find a trainer in your area that uses positive training methods. It really sounds like you need help from someone experienced. Here is a website that has some great information on it. http://www.peaceablepaws.com/pat-miller.php

Laura
Attachments
Micah tag.jpg
Micah tag.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 2738 times