1st time puppy/dog owner

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

Giant19000
Rank 0
Rank 0

1st time puppy/dog owner

Post by Giant19000 »

Hachi is my new and 1st puppy we get along great and spend most if not all day together he stays by the window when I leave, and cries he can't fall asleep if Im not in sight or in the same room I love him to death but latèly I've been feeling like he's getting tired of me and today he bit me a little too hard is this behavior normal?
What can I do to let him know he's being a little too ruff or about him not feeling loved I don't know if its me but he doesn't wag he's tail for me anymore and doesn't come when I call him anymore. To make him sit I need to slowly press his back down.( he's months by the way)
Also how can j post pics from Apple devices??
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: 1st time puppy/dog owner

Post by Rory's Dad »

What you have there is a chow. He is growing up and realizing that. As a chow matures, he will begin to realize that he can make his own decisions. You need to identify the trigger that he reacts to in order to get him to behave the way you want him to. If he wants a hug before sitting properly, or a treat before he lies down, you need to figure that out. You can't bully him and simply order him to let someone pet him. Nor can you swat him on the nose when he decides your leg is a chew toy.

1st off, he needs to know that you can't be there 24/7. If he is reacting to being alone, you need to solve that problem. Start off by leaving him a chew/bone/whatever and head out without him for a short period of time. Plenty of attention and affection when you return. Tell him how good he was and lots of hands on.

He should know basic dog behavior. He should sit when told, lie down, or give a paw. When he gets too rough, bring him back with instruction. Have him lie down, and reward him with a treat when he does it properly. Getting him to sit with physical force (even if very minor) is not the best method. Make him want to respond to the basics. Try this...to get him to sit have a small (pea sized) treat in hand. Experiment to see what he actually likes (store bought training treats, a piece of string cheese, a bit of liver bait, the creme section of an oreo cookie). Let him know you have the treat by putting it to his nose and then moving it to your nose. Make eye contact. Once you have that, move the treat back to him and pass it over his head towards his rear. He should naturally sit. Say the word Sit. He should learn the hand motions 1st, but will learn to associate the word with the action. Same regimen for lie, but move the treat in an L shape motion down and in front of him (toward you). Practice, practice, practice. Once he has the basics, use these instructions to control his outbursts. If you have the right motivator (treat or praise attention), he will react the way you want and not be nipping at you.
Giant19000
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Giant19000 »

What you have there is a chow. He is growing up and realizing that. As a chow matures, he will begin to realize that he can make his own decisions. You need to identify the trigger that he reacts to in order to get him to behave the way you want him to. If he wants a hug before sitting properly, or a treat before he lies down, you need to figure that out. You can't bully him and simply order him to let someone pet him. Nor can you swat him on the nose when he decides your leg is a chew toy.[/quote]

Thank you soo much for your response,
I will try to figure it out,swatting is out of the question what is another way to let him know to behave or he's being too rough? I agree with you, physical discipline is a huge no.
Rory's Dad wrote:1st off, he needs to know that you can't be there 24/7. If he is reacting to being alone, you need to solve that problem. Start off by leaving him a chew/bone/whatever and head out without him for a short period of time. Plenty of attention and affection when you return. Tell him how good he was and lots of hands on.

He should know basic dog behavior. He should sit when told, lie down, or give a paw. When he gets too rough, bring him back with instruction. Have him lie down, and reward him with a treat when he does it properly. Getting him to sit with physical force (even if very minor) is not the best method. Make him want to respond to the basics. Try this...to get him to sit have a small (pea sized) treat in hand. Experiment to see what he actually likes (store bought training treats, a piece of string cheese, a bit of liver bait, the creme section of an oreo cookie). Let him know you have the treat by putting it to his nose and then moving it to your nose. Make eye contact. Once you have that, move the treat back to him and pass it over his head towards his rear. He should naturally sit. Say the word Sit. He should learn the hand motions 1st, but will learn to associate the word with the action. Same regimen for lie, but move the treat in an L shape motion down and in front of him (toward you). Practice, practice, practice. Once he has the basics, use these instructions to control his outbursts. If you have the right motivator (treat or praise attention), he will react the way you want and not be nipping at you.
Your advice really worked!!! I appreciate everything it was very helpful I found out he likes the Creme from the Oreo cookies, is there any other human foods they can eat??
Now would the L. Shape over the head work if shown before a proper sit?
Today he was playing with me again and bit me I did the high pitch ouch he didn't stop though he continued as if we wee playing ??
Giant19000
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Giant19000 »

Again guys this is my first pup/dog literally so I want to to avoid mistakes and ask questions even though they might sound silly but again I have never had a dog growing up and him coming to my life, I would like to have a good experience with each other and I really do appreciate any advice given i would like to make him as happy as i possibly can..
Thanks again guys/gals
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

Great advice and clearly presented from Rory's Dad. As stated "Practice, Practice, Practice" and I will add, Patience, Patience, Patience. You were not educated over night and Rome was not built in a day. :)
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Most dogs will get the sit command fairly easily. From there many will actually do it as a normal behavior without you even asking. Don't let that be a reward situation. If you didnt ask him to do it, don't reward it.

It's nice, but not reward worthy. You will see this term many, many times here...NILIF. Nothing in Life is Free...As often as you see it here, make sure your Chow understands it. Very basic philosophy, but very important. Reward the dog when he does as requested. No freebies for a good try OR for doing a basic command without being asked.

As for the lie command, it varies by dog. My male has trouble going straight into a down, my female does not. To explain, Rory (my male) needs to be sitting before he will lie. He will do it every time, but not if he is upright. Amber (female), has no problem transitioning from a full stand into the lie, it just depends on the dog.

They are very different dogs in other aspects as well. Rory is a puller on the leash, Amber is a straggler. Both react perfectly to a show lead though. Both love American Cheese, but only Amber will bait to string cheese. Rory will let it sit on the floor until he thinks nobody is looking.

Most human food is OK in small amounts. Stay away from anything nut based or fruits with a skin (grapes, cherries, etc). Amber actually likes red pepper, Rory is much more finicky. Obviously you should not use anything that comes off your plate or you will end up with a dog that wants your meal.

If he continues to play too rough, stick with the screech. That is how they learn as litter mates. Beyond that, walk away and deprive him of your attention. A time out if you will.
Giant19000
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Giant19000 »

Thank you very much rorys dad!!
Words can't explain how truly greatful we are,
Best advice to start from the beginning!
Me and Humphry are getting a lot closer,
I also decided to change his name I thought he deserved he's own name not my favorite dog movie.
Here's Humphry
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Handsome boy. Nice solid coloring. His ears will straighten as he matures most likely and not be flopped. Looks to have a shorter muzzle, that is my preference (but only my personal taste) for chow appearance.
Giant19000
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Giant19000 »

Thanks I'm not sure Humphry's dad is a little big? thank for the advice he is getting along with me a lot better and of course like every pup patience here's an update on Humphry
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

He looks great. Don't sweat the little stuff. Better to pick the battles that really matter to you.

My 11 month old female is a chewer. Furniture, toys, and shoes. Mostly my shoe with my foot still in it. Was way worse when she was a younger pup, but still occasionally. We always replace with a suitable chew toy. She knows this behavior will get her attention. She will even roll her ball intentionally under the couch or a table so we have to get up and retrieve it for her. Sounds odd, but i have watched her eye me before she does it. Smart girl.

We do show her, but its usually a 1 or 2 day event at most. By the 3rd day she has had enough of the grooming and primping and lets people know it (mouthing). By comparison, my 2 year old male loves the attention and literally glows when put in a spotlight. And he has done so since he was about 9 months old. Different dogs, different priorities.