Future Chow Owner.

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

ChavasRegal
Rank 0
Rank 0

Future Chow Owner.

Post by ChavasRegal »

Hi, me and my fiancé are looking in to getting a Chow, we've done alot of research and really have our hearts set on one. I've had dogs all my life and since moving out and getting my own home I've missed the company of a dog. My fiancé has never had dogs due to her mothers dislike of them and has become wary of overly fussy / energetic dogs. We both feel a Chow would be ideal for us. We have a medium sized garden with a grassed area about 8m x 14m surrounded by a high fence and 8ft gate.
The concern we have is that currently were both working and will be out of the house during the day, my parent have agreed to look after the puppy during this time, they have a 9 year old collie cross Sam who is good with other dogs and a big pup at heart.
Do you think it would affect the puppy being taken out of his home and up to another at an early age or would it help with his socializing? This would only be temporary until we were confident in leaving him home alone with regular visits to let him out.
Any input on this would be appreciated
Thanks Dave.
Constantina
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Future Chow Owner.

Post by Constantina »

Bless your parents for helping you out :) I think it will definitely help lots with socializing which i feel is most important. The only danger I see is that the puppy might bond with one of your parents instead of you and your fiancé and get separation anxiety when it's time to go home. Make sure you leave a shirt or any cloth with your smell with the puppy when you drop it off at his/her grandparents so it is your scent that is associated with home and love!