Adopted an (Awesome) Adult Chow - tips for training?

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

Lex
Rank 0
Rank 0

Adopted an (Awesome) Adult Chow - tips for training?

Post by Lex »

My hubby and I adopted an adult Chow (named Branson) about 3 months ago; they think he's about 9-10 years old. When he was surrendered, his hair was so matted they had to nearly shave him completely down, he had a cracked tooth that wasn't taken care of, super bad arthritis, undiagnosed thyroid problems and was likely used for backyard breeding. Suffice to say, we got him, took care of him (tooth, meds, and now he can jump! it's crazy!), and he's a happy doggie that acts like a puppy as he has settled in :D .

I've been a dog owner my whole life, but usually trained dogs up from puppy or pretty young ages. We can tell that Branson has had some training; he's leash trained, house trained, has figured out doggie doors and looooooooooves people. He wants to play with other dogs when he sees them but gets nervous if they move too quick, so I'm trying to socialize him at the dog park or with family dogs.

Additionally, I'd like to teach him the basics of "laydown" or "stop" (he can't sit due to knees). I've been click training him for a bit, but my question is am I breaking old training while giving him new commands to learn (does that make it harder)? Any tips?

Thank you!
maikinda
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Adopted an (Awesome) Adult Chow - tips for training?

Post by maikinda »

Thank you so much for adopting a senior. There is a lot of info on the internet about training. If you do a search for Pat Miller you will find some great info. She wrote a great book "The Power of Positive Dog Training" that everyone should read.

Laura
Attachments
Micah tag.jpg
Micah tag.jpg (12.41 KiB) Viewed 2358 times
pjstay
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Adopted an (Awesome) Adult Chow - tips for training?

Post by pjstay »

Obediancec training at local doggy. Day care where they clicker train.