Chow's personality

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

vanyok
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chow's personality

Post by vanyok »

Hi to all Chow Chow fans.

After months of research my wife and I narrowed it down to Chow Chow. We find that their independent personality will fit us really well. There is one big concern that we have that you guys may help me address. Or at least I hope you can.

Most Chow Chow owners adore their dogs but once in a while I run into people complaining about major aggression issues. For example, a few days ago I was talking to a guy who was on his third Chow Chow ( maybe he's on these forums ). First two dogs he had over last 20 years were yet independent but super sweet and great pets overall. Now he's on his third one. The dog is now 10+ years old and though it's still loved the dog is super aggressive. It won't let him groom, it bit his family members and ofcourse it won't let strangers come even close.

What do you guys think ? What are the chances of us ending up with an aggressive chow chow ? I know it takes work, training and socializing the dog to make sure that it's not but I'm getting a feeling from experienced chow owners that even if you I work hard there is still a chance that I'll end up with a dog that will be aggressive towards myself and my family members. Is there a way to avoid it or should I look at other breeds if this is in fact a concern ?

Thank you in advance!
CocoLeBear
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Chow's personality

Post by CocoLeBear »

I'm on my first chow so no expert at all, BUT, I adopted her as an adult from the SPCA, so I knew what I was getting personality wise. She was about 2.5 years old when I adopted her. I got a good report from the staff there (loves and is submissive to people, alpha with other dogs), and did my own tests on her to check out her temperament (nothing major--just putting my hands all over her, picking up her feet, looking inside her mouth--to see how she would react). Since she was already an adult, I wasn't taking a personality gamble. If this is your concern, perhaps you could look on petfinder or check out some of the chow rescues.
vanyok
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Chow's personality

Post by vanyok »

Thank you for your answer.

I decided to go for it. Exited :)
You guys are probably going to see me post more soon as I'll have the chow chow puppy next week!