Adopted dog from shelter. I THINK that he is chow/shepard

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

kilalarae
Rank 0
Rank 0

Adopted dog from shelter. I THINK that he is chow/shepard

Post by kilalarae »

Hi. We just got Oliver from a shelter about 3 weeks ago. He was a stray and listed as a shepard mix.. When I saw his face and confused looking eyes on the shelter site I fell in love. I think he is part chow although a trainer that I spoke to today thought he could be part Shar Pei instead. I don't know but they are both strong and sometimes aggressive dogs. Does any one have any suggestions for training. Oliver is about 4, neutered and was at the shelter for more than a month. I don't think that he showed well when he was next to friendly, outgoing and happy dogs. He is a little stand offish at first. He is wonderful in many ways but he has started being more aggressive or dominant may be the best term. He has growled at us once and pulled off his leash twice after the first week in our home. He had been fine and well behaved previously. During both incidents , he pulled off to chase another dog. No biting has occurred but growling and running after others is concerning to me.Below is a photo.
Oliver
Oliver
_DSC0040.jpg (68.87 KiB) Viewed 1614 times