adopted chow, need advice re halter/grandchildren?

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

rmb
Rank 1
Rank 1

adopted chow, need advice re halter/grandchildren?

Post by rmb »

Three weeks ago I adopted at 13 month male red chow mix who had lived at an animal shelter his whole life. Never having been aware that there were such things as open faced chows, I didn't realize how much chow this guy has in him until I got home and started researching. He is a bit timid and coming out of his shell over the last week, getting used to being in a home with two adults and a 9 year old female mix with just a bit of chow in her. After a couple of growlfests which broke up as soon as I Ah AH'd, he seems to have accepted her as lead dog. Yesterday he started day training at a well regarded local animal training/boarding center. They are using positive reinforcement, too early to tell if that will work but they want to use a halter, that will fit around his muzzle to prevent pulling on walks. Not sure if that is a good idea from what I've read about Chows. Also, how do we handle introduction to grandchildren? Having lived in a shelter, he is probably not well socialized. I am wondering if I have bitten off more than I can chew. I love dogs and am willing to spend the time but, I worry about who he may become as he matures, given his early life. Any advice? Anything I should be looking/watching for that will help me identify his temperament? He is definitely bonding with my husband and I and I want to keep him but - is there any way to know if he will be trustworthy around guests/grandchildren?
thanks!!!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: adopted chow, need advice re halter/grandchildren?

Post by Rory's Dad »

It would depend on the dog and your comfort level for both questions. If the classes are a group session and he tends to be aggressive with other dogs, then the harness lead around the muzzle may be a good choice at 1st. If its strictly about teaching good walk manners, i think a chest harness with a front clip for the leash would be just as effective without creating stress for him.

Know that when introducing a Chow to any person, you need to instruct the person 1st. No approaching from the rear or sides. New persons should only approach from the front, preferably from below the eye level. This is due to Chows being headshy as a breed and having limited peripheral vision. It has nothing to do with Chow being a rescue or well socialized, its just a Chow being a Chow.

Make sure you have obtained his trust before introducing children. You may need to reassure your dog and (literally) tell him these new folks are OK. Check to see if he is 'noise shy'. If he is, let the kids understand that he is sensitive to yelling, screaching, etc. Request that they remain calm in his presence. He may look to you for guidance, so be positive.

If you use treats with your dog, encourage strangers to offer him a reward. Get them to instruct him to sit or another basic command and then reward him. His list of friends will grow quickly and he gets extra practice at behaving correctly.