chow

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

jenny
Rank 0
Rank 0

chow

Post by jenny »

Has anybody got a chow chow with children or know how they are with them all i read is negitive things ta
twistedcaduceus
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: chow

Post by twistedcaduceus »

I got my Shadow when she's 11 weeks old, she's 15 weeks now. When I brought her home at first, she was very good with my 2 and 4 y.o. cousins which my grandma baby sits during the day. However she starts to get rough with them but I believe that's because my cousins gets a lil' too loud at times. I think she might've started to think that they're squeak toys. Shadow however are very gentle and tries to leave alone stranger kids. She will even let them pet her and won't even try to lick them. She will smell them but that's it.

As people here might've already said, it will definitely depends on the temperament of the specific dog and the reaction of the kid.
reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: chow

Post by reddog »

I think it does depend on the temperment of the dog and the interaction of the children with it. You have to work with both of them to make a good mix .

Whitby is 7 yrs old. I rescued her little over a year ago. She is one who just likes to kick back and relax and can cop the chow attitude with a look as if to say "You talking to me? Oh Hum-m " But - when my 4 1/2 yr old grandaughter comes to visit Whitby turns in to a puppy and is ready to play. She and Elyse will run through the house chasing one another. She'll get one of her squeaky toys and give it to Elyse to throw for her. Elyse does get a little loud at times and I remind her to tone it down so she doesn't hurt Whitby's (and my") ears. Whitby likes to be in the middle of things when Elyse and I are playing with the baby dolls, having a tea party, coloring while lying on the floor, listening to me read to Elyse etc.