First time owner questions

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

Matija
Rank 0
Rank 0

First time owner questions

Post by Matija »

I am a first time chow owner.We have Dex for 1month and few days now,he was born on 1st of October 2012.
I was wondering when is the right time to start with the walks in the streets and parks? We have a big garden in wich he loves to play with us, but i know he needs socialize but dont know when to start with that,because i think he is still to small to walk on the street with a leash.i am taking him everywhere with me but when i put him on the ground he starts to be stubborn and not wanting to move or he just wants to run to ppl he sees for the first time,so i just carry him around:)
Second thing is that at some point of playing and running around he becomes rly aggressive, starts biting really hard and trying to hump the leg, isnt he to young for that?
So i would like to know when can i start to use the solitary method on him? NO just works on making him to stop biting plants in the house:)
When to start NILF ?
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: First time owner questions

Post by Fozzbear »

Teach him to sit / basic commands and start NILF right now! You can put him in time out on his own right now too.
He can walk on the street as soon as he has had all of his jabs. Start with a harness, rather than a collar, and just dont expect to get anywhere fast!
How old was he when he left his Mum? He needs to start socializing asap - do you have a local puppy class? Some vets etc run social meets for dogs. I took mine to local dog shows (but they were babies in the summer). I think that it is a good idea to make friends with a friendly dog-walker who you can meet up with when they are out with their friendliest group of dogs.
You need to teach bite inhibition - look it up in the training section here. Some dogs start young with humping - it is a dominance thing so you need to make it clear who is boss right now.
They can be little monsters can't they? But well worth it. Got any pictures?
Matija
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Matija »

He was with his mother for 2 months and 23 days.Oh some ppl here told me i can start with all of that when he is 6 months old:( glad i asked. There is only 2 other chows here where i live and no puppy class:(
All iv got is some friends with labs with who i can meet to socialize him .
I just took this one:)
Attachments
IMG_1116 (640x480).jpg
IMG_1116 (640x480).jpg (175.32 KiB) Viewed 4215 times
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

NILF, and walking on a leash should be started ASAP. He is plenty old enough. If you wait until he's six months old he'll be a monster. And he's going to fight the leash at first it is normal. You just want to coax him along, carry a favorite toy or a treat in your hand and coax him with it, walk him a few feet, have him sit, give the treat, repeat, and repeat for the whole walk. He'll soon figure out that walking on a leash is the way to see lots of new stuff, when you meet new people, have him sit, then approach nicely, and sit, (but only if the person(s) seem to want him to approach).
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Jdcell100
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jdcell100 »

We got our little male blu on oct 30 he was 9 weeks we started his walks and socialization on oct 31 and continued everyday since best.thing for getting him socialized was we bring him up to petsmart everyday after his walk. Let everyone pet him he loves it. Today he's a little over 5 months and he's the sweetest guy there is he loves everyone he meets. But still has the chow in him when he's home and a stranger comes he lets us know. Like my family always says why would anyone Owen any other breed
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Tried to answer Majita on another post, but only got quick reply, so i couldnt review the original questions, got really frustrated and just shut it down. I like to answer line by line, and if i cant remember/see the original post, i tend to get lost in my own dialogue and help noone...lol.

In any event, i agree. Get the dog socialized as soon as and as frequently as possible. Don't put off leash training. Seen lots of posts lately on needing to have immunization and shot sequences complete...not the case. Obviously, you dont want full exposure to potential dog bites or waste, but a normal walk and a meet and greet without any aggression should be fine.

Keep treats at hand. Encourage the dog's position relative to you by holding a treat where you want the pup (left side, at the back of your knee for example). Lure the dog to that spot. Walk a few steps with him in correct position and then stop and reward. Lengthen the number of steps gradually. Before long, its where he will be. Teach him to look for you for direction. Again, the treat comes in handy. So do those stops, that's where you make sure he is paying attention. Eventually he will not need the stops, but look at you for 'where we going".
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Same problem with not seeing the whole post...lol.

As to the humping, normal behavior. He is learning that he has certain parts, and only has an instinct on what to do with it. Not something that is learned during his litter times. This should fade as he ages. If you plan on having him fixed, then that can help with the biological urges if done at the right time (consult vet). Dogs that are done late, can tend to already have a developed habit and is less likely to curb that behavior.

Even if not fixed, Chows tend to sort themselves out as far as when appropriate or not.
Matija
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Matija »

tnx for all the help...iv had progress with dex in just 2 days, he allredy listens when to sit and NO works on more things now:)
Bad thing is, when i put him in solitary punishment i cant listen him whimper and his barks are so sad:(
But still when he gets to excited and especially around little children, game turns into hard leg biting,witch im not able to make him stop.Unless i take him to solitary after many NO's...em i doing it right or should i change something?or is he just to young to understand anything while he thinks he is playing?
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Leg nipping is tough, and it will turn to biting as he gets older if not controlled. He is seeing one of two things...either your leg is a toy to chew on, or he knows it gets your attention. If he doesnt stop after the 1st no, you've lost him. The time, he won't understand what it's for. I would give him one no. Then stop walking and get his attention with a firm, fairly loud call to his name. Have him sit. If he doesn't, put him in the sit position. Probably wont even require a physical touch. Reach over his head from nose to shoulders. Once he sits have him stay there. Use your hand right ahead of his nose and hold that 'stop' signal. This should calm him and make him understand that you are going to be in control. A few times of this should pretty much stop the leg nips.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Oh, and don't treat/reward at this time. Bad behavior doesn't get snacks just because it stops for a minute.
Matija
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Matija »

Rory s dad ur method helped allot, big thx for it!!! solitary aint working at all.
Im in new problems now,not a big one tho:) How can i make him stop eating EVERYTHING while we walk or just resting at home? Hes even eating dirt out of flowers:)I get him sometimes with NO! but if he is a bit more in play zone NO doesnt work so i have to move him phisicaly from it..Dont know what to do, im scared that one time ill be late to take it out of his mouth...