Toys for my new boy

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

MisterComplete
Rank 0
Rank 0

Toys for my new boy

Post by MisterComplete »

Hi guys, I'm bringing my boy Illya home soon and I was wondering what kind of toys most chows like. I've heard conflicting things about chows and toys - ei, they like toys or they have no interest in toys - but I'm getting him toys anyway because I'd rather him have some and not be interested than have none and end up playing with inappropriate things. I know all about the safety precautions with dog toys (I also have a bull terrier so all toys have to be durable, non-swallow-able, and not have anything he can chew off), but are there particular types of toys that most chow pups prefer? For example, my current dog loves plush toys and tennis balls, but he shows no interest in the rope toy his breeder gave me for him. I have several plush toys and a ball that Zeb (my bull terrier) hasn't played with so they won't have his smell on them that I'm saving for Illya - does that sound like anything that would interest a chowlet? Is there anything specific that I should try out?
My three boys:
"The Chow has many noble qualities - his heart cannot be taken by storm, but, once given, it is yours forever."
- Lady Dunbar of Mochrum
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Toys for my new boy

Post by Rory's Dad »

Naturally, all dogs and particularly Chows are different, but from recent experience Rory loves ropes. I don't like them for tug of war type play, as i want to ensure he will would release if ever necessary, but for regular play they seem pretty good and work the teeth a good amount.

As a puppy he really like cardboard tubes (you know for paper towel rolls), but sort of outgrew that. He's not a big fan of anything that squeeks, which works well for me cause neither am I.

He continues to be a huge fan of paper towels and tissues. Just sits there and shreds them. Maybe it's because there so easy.

I also try to avoid anything that looks like actual wildlife he may encounter...dont really want to teach him that it's ok to chew on the cats, squirrels, opposum, skunks, etc.

He also isn't real interested in the toys that hide a treat like a puzzle and make him work for it...boredom and disinterest very quickly set in. He knows he can just find me and we will work on basic dog skills for a treat.

Most recently though, we were shopping for new carpet for the house. We got about 10 4x4 samples to take home (for free). Tossed em on the floor and Rory thinks they are the greatest things ever. Will sit and chew on them for quite a while. Concern here is that they will shed and he will swallow the remnants causing an intestinal blockage, so we keep a close eye on them. Saw a dog toy at a store recently called the Flying Squirrel that is similar to shag carpet. He likes that one too, maybe just a bit too big for him to really get his teeth around.
Discipula
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Toys for my new boy

Post by Discipula »

Almost all chows I've had have loved soft plush toys, and ones with eyes they can pull off, just make sure he doesn't eat the stuffing! The best part is they don't care whether it's the $10 ones or just ones from the dollar store, as long as they're soft!