newly adopted chow

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

wjpierce
Rank 0
Rank 0

newly adopted chow

Post by wjpierce »

I've recently adopted a 7 y.o. female from a family that took her in after her original owners passed away. Her original owners were elderly and both passed away within the past 2 years. The couples stepdaughter took the dog in temporarily and had her for about 2 months before we were put in contact with her. The stepdaughter was unable to keep the dog - she has a husband, 4 kids, and a 7 mo. old mixed breed puppy already. The dog is slowly adjusting to her new home, but she isn't displaying "normal" chow behavior. She doesn't like being outdoors, she doesn't like being petted or brushed, she has just started eating regularily (barely 1 cup of dry food), and strangest of all, she won't take any treats. We've tried the brand her previous owners gave her as well as a couple other brands, and she won't touch them. She shows no interest in bones or chew toys, and doesn't want to play. Any suggestions on how to bring her around? Any idea how long it might take? Thanks for the help.
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: newly adopted chow

Post by Sarahloo »

wjpierce wrote:I've recently adopted a 7 y.o. female from a family that took her in after her original owners passed away. Her original owners were elderly and both passed away within the past 2 years. The couples stepdaughter took the dog in temporarily and had her for about 2 months before we were put in contact with her. The stepdaughter was unable to keep the dog - she has a husband, 4 kids, and a 7 mo. old mixed breed puppy already. The dog is slowly adjusting to her new home, but she isn't displaying "normal" chow behavior. She doesn't like being outdoors, she doesn't like being petted or brushed, she has just started eating regularily (barely 1 cup of dry food), and strangest of all, she won't take any treats. We've tried the brand her previous owners gave her as well as a couple other brands, and she won't touch them. She shows no interest in bones or chew toys, and doesn't want to play. Any suggestions on how to bring her around? Any idea how long it might take? Thanks for the help.
She sounds like a very typical Chow: no interest in toys, small appetite, shy about being touched and brushed, reluctant to take treats. You are still strangers to her to a certain extent, and she doesn't trust you yet. No treats without trust! :) Chows are smart! Looks like you will have to woo her a little longer until she comes around! She also sounds like she's a little homesick, I think her spirits will rise once she's realized you are now her family. Have you tried wet/canned food? That is usually a big hit!
Thank you for adopting her! You did a great thing! But consider all the changes she's been through lately. Once she knows you are there to stay, I am certain she will cheer up! It might take a while, because she's experienced so much disappointment during the last 2 years, and she's had so much mourning to do, poor thing!
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

I was going to write pretty much what Sarah wrote so I will just add that plenty of walks with stops to sit and chat may help with bonding. She must be very sad and has no idea where she is, why she was rejected or when her owners are coming back. A combination of giving her space to come to you when she's ready, irresistible treats like little chunks of dried liver and time spent together walking or going on little road trips should help. Mainly time and gentle understanding. You have done a wonderful thing giving her a home and given some time you will begin to see the changes happen.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

My guess is that she is confused from being shuffled around and is unsure of what might be next. Eating is a good sign, but it may be a weeks until she is certain you are her forever owner. Not taking treats is her way of saying; I don't take candy from strangers. Not liking it outside may be saying don't take me from this house. Handling and grooming rejection may also be her way of saying; don't touch me stranger. Try not to show fear and be consistent with a soft bristle brush in small steps when starting her grooming. Everything consistent and small step to gain her trust.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

As everyone else said, VERY chow behavior. Give her time and show her love and affection. She'll come around.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
bellachow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellachow »

Another great trick is canned tuna. Every chow I have had loves it. Just takes a little (like tablespoon) mixed in with the dry food.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

At 7 years old a cup of food every day is fine. Especially since she's most likely not getting tons of exercise. At this point I'd work on bonding with her. And like all the others have said her behavior is very normal for a chow. She has had two new homes in a very short time, and she's upset, she's probably grieving for her first owners, chows do that. It may take her weeks to trust you completely if not months. I've rescued an 8 year old and also a 2 year old, and both took time to bond completely, but like others have said relaxed walks and talking to them helps. So does just talking to them in the house, they need to feel secure and talking to them, letting them know you are aware of them, and like their company. Treats are good, but shouldn't be used as bribes for their attention, but as an indication of happiness.

The easiest way to do this is to act like they are another person, like a toddler. "Well, the dishes are done now. What else should we do now? Watch some TV?" Just talking to them like that will increase their interaction with you.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

i would add this in regards to the treats...Chows are extremely intelligent. Particularly at that age.

Our dogs have really been taught NILF behavior. To the point that they know when they have earned a treat or not. If not asked to do something first, they will not even take a treat. Could be similar with your new Chow. Try commanding the dog to sit, or speak, maybe a paw. Then offer the treat for proper response.
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

Just one more aspect about Chows and treats, as everything else has been perfectly identified.
Even a secure, loved and relatively well trained Chow like Simba refuses treats if they come as a bribe.
He loves his grain free crackers which I finally found here in a store and munches a few every night before his bed time.
I tried once to use them to get him out of the house before I had to go to office. He looked at me like a police officer would when trying to avoid a ticket for traffic violation. He didn't move and he didn't take the treat even after I offered it to him inside the house. I obviously insulted him. :roll:
Therefore treats for Chows in my opinion only work as reward for good behavior, for a command or trick well done or just as thank you for a nice day in the evening, never as a bribe.
Best regards
Pinoy51
Mutt The Hoople
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mutt The Hoople »

Awwww. Poor baby. She sounds a lot like my Winston. When I adopted him, he was about a year and a half old. His original owners had abandoned him at Save The Animals in Cini, and then he was there six months. People who were looking for dogs either did not want a chow mix, or they did not want to deal with a high maintenance coat. I had lost a springer spaniel about 6 months before. But Winston ... He sort of picked me out. I loved him at first site as well. I brought him home, he was immediately well behaved to the extreme. But for the first couple of weeks, he was a bit stand-offish, and he would sit on the sofa with me... But at the opposite end. He would not take treats either. And fetch??? Ha! Totally not interested. So I just let him be, and made him feel safe as best I could, and figured when he felt secure he'd come around. Which he did. His personality was almost the opposite of my spaniel, but just because he does not wear his emotions on his paw... Doesn't mean that he doesn't have any. And Winston is not even fully a chow. Maybe half, or three quarters. He sure has the attitude down though. He still will not take treats from anyone but me, and a few people who he knows well. Which is fine by me. I have now had him for almost nine years, and he is absolutely wonderful. But the first few weeks... Even the first couple of months... I really had to build his trust. But it is understandable. He was traumatized. And your girl was too. she will come around. But I don't think the behavior is unusual. I'm no expert on the breed.... But from what I've seen, they just do not suffer fools gladly. They really check you out first. Buy I could not want a more loyal companion than Winston. Once he warmed up, that was that. Good luck, and I'm sure it will all work out.