5 weeks puppy without mother how to handle

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

Domiss
Rank 0
Rank 0

5 weeks puppy without mother how to handle

Post by Domiss »

Hi, we are going to have chow chow puppy , he is now 5 weeks old, and today we got sad news that his mum died. Now we are wondering how it can affect our puppy. He is stil with his siblings and the owner of the mother is feeding them. Is it okey to take our puppy before he finish 8 weeks? Is he now more likely to get some sickness? What kind of issues should we expect? What is the appropriate food for him? Does he need any special treatment? We already fall in love with him and we want all the best for our little chow.
cherriemater
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: 5 weeks puppy without mother how to handle

Post by cherriemater »

Please, please, please don't take him away from his siblings until AT LEAST 8 weeks, longer if possible. I hope the breeder will work with you on this. While I cannot answer the questions about the state of your little ones health without the benefit of Mom to feed and give nutrients, I CAN attest to the importance for socialization that your pup stay with it's siblings. Very important here. I know you're anxious BELIEVE me, I know. We had two boys that we were to pick up on my Birthday but had to wait another week and it was truly a terrible and anxious wait ... but WELL worth it in the end as our boys are very well adjusted.

There will be others who can answer better about the Mom having passed ... how sad. Hang in there and I'm glad you're asking the right questions here rather than moving ahead on your own. Well done!
Joe and Marti Martin ... Chow Chow lovers for Life (RIP Kimba 06/03/2011)
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

Yes, your pup MUST stay with his siblings until 8 to 10 weeks. The breeder will know how to feed him correctly. Dont be tempted to bring him home at this early stage.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Yep. Just what the others have said, it is far better for him to stay with his litter mates until 8-10 weeks than to be away from them. at this point he would soon start being weaned anyway, usually starts at six weeks if I remember right, His breeder will know how to do this correctly. My boy was away from his mom, but with his sibs from six to 8 weeks and he is just fine. More importantly he knew a lot about proper behavior with other dogs, and had a good start on not biting. Believe me it is far easier to teach bite hibition when they already understand that hurting equals being left by oneself.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Like others, I say dont take home your puppy just yet. Until 8 weeks above. No special treatment after 8weeks. They can eat semi solid at 5weeks so there is a high chance of survival to all puppies.
Domiss
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Domiss »

Thank you guys for all your replays! We will take him once he finish 8 weeks. I hope he will be in good health.
For sure i ll come back with more questions to you.
For now i wish you and your chows merry Christmas:)
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Yes, he must stay with his litter mates. He will be able to snuggle up to them, play with them and eat with them and learn some manners. The breeder will be able to feed them all now and when he is 8 weeks old, he will be ready for his new home. :) Meantime, have a nice Christmas and look forward to him coming to live with you. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Domiss
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Domiss »

Our puppy is with us:) We took ur advices and picked him up after he finished 8 weeks. When we arrived, he was excited, than he ate, and for the past 3 hours he is just sleeping.... anyways he is the cutest dog ever!
Attachments
sleeping.JPG
sleeping.JPG (113.13 KiB) Viewed 4466 times
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

What an absolute little darling. So glad you waited and all is well. Congratulations :)
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

He looks absolutely gorgeous. :D
He is a baby still though and you will find he will need lots of sleep - he might make you smile by falling asleep mid-play or even when he is eating. They are just so adorable when they are that age. :D Enjoy and treasure every minute. :lol:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)