Questions about adopting a 17 month old male

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

msdavis
Rank 0
Rank 0

Questions about adopting a 17 month old male

Post by msdavis »

Due to some health issues of his owner there is a 17 month old male neutered chow that we can adopt. We have 3 kids ages 7, 4, 3. I have been owned myself by a chow 20 or more of my 30 years of life so I know the breed. Our female died last year and we all miss her very much.

We are going tomorrow to look at him. What would you suggest I look for as far as temperament goes? They say he is very sweet and likes to be brushed and ride on the 4 wheeler. If we didn't have kids I wouldn't be very concerned at all but since we do have kids I don't want to risk an 80 lb dog that could injure them. They said he weighed 80 lbs which I think makes him huge as far as a Chow goes but my guess is he is 50 lbs with a 30 lb of fluff look.

Also if I don't think it would work out with us does anyone know of any rescues I may could point them towards? We live in northwestern NC.
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Questions about adopting a 17 month old male

Post by wokman »

Individuals can post a dog on:

http://www.Rescueme.org/
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

if you are concerned on size, if they say 80 lbs i would believe 80 lbs and not try to attribute weight to fur.
msdavis
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by msdavis »

We didn't make it over to meet him today. Although I don't think it will matter since my 4 year old is upset because she wants her Chow Chow back. She has said several times she doesn't want Bear she wants HER chow chow. It breaks my heart because Kiara has been gone almost a year and she still misses her. For that matter we all still miss her so maybe we need to give it a little longer anyway.