Getting puppy today

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

Tan160581
Rank 0
Rank 0

Getting puppy today

Post by Tan160581 »

Just wanted to thank everyone for there advice I'm picking up my puppy in a few hours we are calling her Lola so excited if any of you could give me one bit of advice what would it be
I got to introduce my cats to her do that be a task and a half which I'm sure I be on here screaming for advice anyway dead excited and can't believe the day is finally here x x
reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Getting puppy today

Post by reddog »

Yea! & Hurrah for you! I'm so happy & excited for you \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

We love pics :) please post some :)

Can't help with advice on the subject of cats. My Whitby (7 yrs old, rescued last December) does not like cats. If we see one while on a walk - it's jitterbug time with Whitby, the gentle leader and me :roll:
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Congratulations! I am so pleased for you. :D

Regarding the cats, the only advice is to ensure that the puppy is not allowed to chase them or mug them in any way. Start as you mean to go on - that chasing cats is a big NO-NO! 8)

Once your baby chowling has found out that is not allowed, hopefully they will all get on together.

Our cat Harry was 9 yrs. old when we brought Matilda and then Maisie into our lives and like all young things, they thought they could chase him. They learnt not to!
I suspect your cats may well be able to get out of Lola's way - cats are good at that. :lol:
Anyway, good luck! :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Tan160581
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tan160581 »

Hi everyone

I got her and she very bold not scared of the cats at all and waggy tail all the time BUT she keeps biting thee legs snd tail when she does that should I say no firmly or is there anything I should do? X
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Yes most certainly.

Can I suggest you do not smack her - chows do not respond to being smacked but a firm "No no!" or "Aah no!" or whatever comes naturally to you . Then you can pick her up and say "No, leave the cats (or their name) alone!" Or whatever. :)

She will get the message but you have to teach her that you are the Mummy person, she is the chow puppy - and you make the rules - not her.

Good luck and you have a beautiful little creature there who will grow up to be a wonderful companion. :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
chowchowdaddy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by chowchowdaddy »

Congratulations, how wonderful. I remember those puppy days. Wait, now I am remembering those puppy days... Ah, well. Anyway, Ming loves cats, he says they taste just like chicken!!!
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

I need to loan you one of my cats. They would quickly explain that dogs are not to mess with cats. You need to provide a place where the cats can escape. The easiest way to do this is put a baby gate at one room. The cats will jump the gate and have some peace and quite. You need to direct the dog away from the cats. I have found that a loud hand clap can get the dog's attention and use it to reinforce the "NO". Now I have always had cats that knew about dogs, and the cats helped teach the dog proper behavior. I can still remember Waldo thumping Malachi on the muzzle. No claws, just the pad going thump thump on the top of the muzzle. It should settle down as long as the dog does not chase the cat. You will have to keep after the puppy and make sure that he understands that he is not supposed to bit or chase the cat.