First time chow owner (3 month old) and lots of questions :(

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

cypruschowchow
Rank 0
Rank 0

First time chow owner (3 month old) and lots of questions :(

Post by cypruschowchow »

Hi all, very warm greetings to all chow chow lovers here! I just got a 3 month old lovely chow chow puppy and we have been together for the last 4 days :) It's been really good!! She is a naturally clean, quiet, nice puppy and somehow very fast with learning his outside potty time! :) But I need advice on the following topics from you guys in order to correct my or my chow's mistakes as early as possible:

1) She has her own room next to my bedroom with a box (2 foot long, 60cms) blocking the door so that he doesn't go out whenever she wants to. The first night in her room neither me or her didn't have potty experience :)) so she peed all over the place, but next day just to try I took her out every 2 hours and everytime we were out she did it outside after a period of sniffing around. After each potty time we go back to her room. I always go first and she follows me and I pet her when she comes to her room to assure she has done something good. I also pet her after potty with either my voice or actually petting her phsyically. Anything wrong or anything to add to this?

2) Food: She has water all the time, and I feed her 3 times a day according to the manufacturers guide with dry food (junior edition of Royal Canine). She can't always finish the required daily amount though..Should I remove the food if it stays there for a long time ? or should I allow her to continue little by little? I always give her the first food at 10am, next one 2pm and last one 6pm. Any advices?

3) How much playtime or affection time or exercise time do I need to give her every day? She is 3 months old. Sometimes I feel like I am ignoring her too much, but I am not sure. I am most of the time home because I work from home, but I just don't know if I need to be her every minute or what is the correct balance?...I am usually in living room working on computer on something and she is in her room sleeping/eating or just lying down :) Of course we have potty time every 2 hours or so, and when we do go out, I try to stay with her outside for a few minutes each time too. Other than that, do I need to go to his room and spend time often?

4) She learnt to whine yesterday! :) I don't show any interest when she does so that she doesnt think whining will bring me to her each time. However I do want to learn why she does whine at that moment to prevent it in the future. Is it just boredom? or something else? Last night she whined when I turned her light off and I was about to go to my bedroom but only whined for like 3-4 seconds :) I didn't do anything and she stopped. Anything wrong here? any thing you want to add?

5) When and how should I introduce her to other rooms in the house? Yesterday I tried to let her to living room too, but she thought we went OUT for potty and peed a little bit, I said SSHHHT and she was a little bit scared and ran back to her room. SSSHHT is our negative tone for things I don't want her to do, but I don't want her to think that peeing itself is bad! How should I handle this situation? and how should I introduce her to new rooms in the house and when?

Thank you so much for reading...I know I have lots of questions but I want to raise a balanced healthy nice companion that won't have problems in the house so that we are both happy :)

Cheers,
Emre
Last edited by cypruschowchow on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
cypruschowchow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: First time chow owner (3 month old) and lots of question

Post by cypruschowchow »

..and to add something,

6) What kind of training (come, sit, etc?) should we be doing at this age if any?

Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Congratulations on your new puppy. :)
When we brought our puppy home when she was two months old, we put newspaper down in the kitchen and she had a cardboard box to sleep in during the day. We also put a big wad of newspapers down in the sitting room right by the kitchen door. We had her with us almost all of the time and talked to her. When she fell asleep we would lift her into her box and let her sleep in peace then when she woke we took her to the back door and outside to spend a penny. If she was in the sitting room we would watch her carefully and if she started to sniff around ready to spend a penny we would put her on the newspaper and praise her and tell her "Good girl spending a penny!" She very soon - in a matter of a couple of days - to go onto the paper on her own and gradually into the kitchen on the paper. Then she would stand by the back door and we would say to her "What do you want? Do you want to go to spend a penny?" At the same time we would offer our hand and take her paw and she very quickly learned that this was a way to ask for something. Now she is three years old and we also have her litter sister now she will come up to us and offer her paw and we will find out what she wants and it is very often that she wants to go out. :D
Chow chows are very intelligent and your little girl will learn quickly and will respond to being talked to.
You are right in not making her feel guilty - she is only little and you must teach her to tell you. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Sarahloo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Sarahloo »

Congrats on your new puppy! Is it a boy or a girl? You keep saying he and she! :)

Let me just say: dogs are not at all interested in having their own room! They want to be where their mom or dad is! I've never heard of anyone boarding up their dog's room so that they can't be with their owner! Who recommended this to you?

Take the boards away and let her come to you and explore the house! Only then, as you said, can she learn what is "inside" and what is "outside", where it's okay to pee and where it isn't! She whimpers because she is a baby and wants to be near you, her parent! That doesn't mean you have to entertain her every second of every day! She'll just lie down and sleep, happy to be near you!

Give her as much attention as you have time to give her! It is her time now to be prepared for life. You say she's a little on the shy side, so there's a lot to do for you and her. Explore your surroundings together, introduce her to everything, praise her and build up her confidence! What a dog doesn't learn in its youth it will have a very hard time learning later.
California
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by California »

You want her to think the whole house is her room so she wont potty inside. I have a 3 month puppy too and I take her out every hour give or take, and she usually always does her business. So maybe 2 hours intervals are too long.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

You've been given excellent advice on training. I want to re-enforce what was said about time with your chow though. Chows are one of the few breeds that can learn to live without humans as such it is very important to form a tight bond with them. If you leave her alone right now too much she will learn that your only purpose is to provide food, water and potty time. I've always allowed my chows free access to me whenever I am home, whether they were adult rescues or my puppy, (now 6 years old). When I'm home, (which right now is a lot as I'm unemployed) they are very near, sometimes they go into another room to sleep or cool off, (bathroom has a tile floor) but if I move they will come out to see what I'm doing. This is the way you want a chow to be.

On the food question, chows are very good at self regulating feeding like cats, they eat what they want or need and then wander off, they come back when they want some more. Many of us "free feed" with dry food, I find that this actually stops them from gobbling up everything in a short period of time even if they don't need to. Mine are adults so they eat twice a day, I put their food down for them in the morning and they eat it all day, by dinner time their dishes are normally empty or nearly so and they get their dinners which they eat during the night. I don't have squabbles over food this way and they are both at a good weight.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I agree with Victory on the free feeding, though not everyone will. I leave kibble down at all times for Rory, and he will take it when he wants and leave it alone at times.

As for attention time, i would offer some play time for the pup when you want. I wouldnt ignore that time though, and use it as an opportunity to introduce grooming and inspection time (get him used to having his entire body inspected...check for fleas and ticks and whatnot. Check for any cuts he might have gotten when outside, or for broken nails, etc. For intact males, you want to check the boy parts to make sure everything descends properly. Inspect his mouth for tooth issues, etc.) You get the point.

Some chows love play toys, others not so much. At his age, toss a small ball and see if he is interested in chasing it down and returning it to you. If not, dont worry about it. Rory goes through stages. He loves rope type toys though.

A chow is not shy, he will let you know if he wants more time with you. And i dont think the whine is it. He will nudge the back of your leg or try to trip you as you walk away from him.

Potty training a chow is about as easy as it gets. Once he recognizes his house, he should not soil it. I agree that he shouldnt be taught that only one room is his. On the flip side, until he gets it, it may be easier to confine him to a room if he wont have access to the outside for a while (think cage training on a bigger level). For really new/young pups, the newspaper or puppy pads at the door work well. Teach him where the exit is. And dont scold him for mistakes inside. Reward and praise when he gets it right. The old theory of 'rubbing his nose in it' definitely wont work with a chow. And be aware of attitude mistakes or marking issues. Rory is well trained on where and when, but occasionally he has expresses his displeasure with us. We replaced half our flooring thinking it was an old odor from our previous dogs until we realized he was telling us he was unhappy about a schedule change or the fact that we went in the car and didnt take him with us.
wokman
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wokman »

Dog food manufactures often base the amount to feed on what dogs eat in a kennel situation, which is more stressful on them so they require more food for the energy they expend. In the home setting these amounts given may lead to overfeeding and an overweight dog.
cypruschowchow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cypruschowchow »

All advices are great!! Thank you so much. By the way she is a she :) I sometimes misspell and say "he" :) I will get used to it haha

One more question. After a week of being in his room, as of yesterday I gradually invited her to other rooms too (after potty outside to prevent accident) and she is ok with the rest of the house now. Of course I tried to hide valuable and chewable stuff, but not everything. The question: Anything I should avoid or do to prevent future problems regarding chewing or damaging stuff? She has a bone toy that she plays with in her "room" I used up till yesterday and mostly she stays in that room and plays with her toy, her food and water bowls are also in that room. Should I keep it this way to prevent damage/chewing in living room kitchen etc? What are your experiences? Thanks :))) I must say I LOVE this website and all the input! really appreciate it, I wouldn't know who to ask if I didn't find this website :)) xx
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

If I were you I would change her feeding place to the kitchen. Then she is in there possibly when you are preparing meals etc. I would also get her some more toys of her own and encourage her to play with them. Our chows have always loved some soft toys and we have quite a basket full and our girls Matilda and Maisie, who are three years old will go and choose what they want out of the basket which is in the corner of the sitting room.
Before these two chow chows we had another two, Milly and Mabel. Milly died three years ago and Mabel died a couple of weeks ago. None of our chows have been destructive in the house. They like to do a bit of gardening sometimes! :lol:
But with having their toys in the sitting room they are living with us instead of maybe living in their own room. It is important for them to know they are part of the family and are loved. Your little girl will very soon learn the rules about your possessions - but she must have some of her own. Maisie especially will go and get a toy and run round with it if she is particularly happy - for example when we come home after being out. They will both take some toys out into the garden with them.
The important thing is that you help your little girl to live in your home with you and help her learn the rules. This she will do very quickly - chows learn well - but only if she is able to experience her home.
If she makes a move to damage something use a more gentle word to stop her - "Aah!" or whatever you choose. Before you know it she will be growing and will live with you on your terms (and with a few of her own).
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

a lot of good things have been said already. Just want to emphasize how important it is for little chow to be with you. Why don"t you let her stay next to you when you work at the computer. Simba pratically followed me everywhere when he was new with us. So I introduced him to each and everything on these trips (incl. four other dogs and cat and various humans :D .
for pottly I let him make "mistakes" in the beginning, no fuzz at all. I brought whenever he woke up and 5 to 10 min after eating. Two weeks in it, he started whining when he needed to go, and I started to verbally correct him, if it went wrong and brought him out. three weeks or so after he has practically house broken.
chewing. there is a toy or two in every room he has access too. If he starts using the carpet or shoes I correct him and offer one toy. So he learned what he can take any time and what he can't. and this happened naturally as he follows me or his Nanny, when I'm not around.
food I feed him twice a day no access to food between, as he is quite layed back. not very active. so I want ot control his weight. Water in a few places always accessable.
I found it relatively easy to teach him because he was always with me.
I don't talk to him when discpline is required just body language and sounds. during playtime I talk all kind of nonsense :D in a very friendly tone.
that:s it, like my other dogs he lives with me. he has as much access to house and garden as I have.
Best regards
Pinoy51
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

I'm wondering why you didn't ask about grooming ? Very important for little Chow to get used to it.
I use the grrooming for bonding time. 10 to 15min a day , mostly early mroning we spend together closely.
For Simba it is like mini spa. I massage him, in this way I will find ticks, matted fur, skin issues like hot spots ot bruises or see his reactions if I move his legs (pain) etc. I then comb his fur to remove the dead hair, he loves it. Nice way to start your day with your furry friend.
Best regards
Pinoy51
cypruschowchow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cypruschowchow »

Pinoy51 wrote:I'm wondering why you didn't ask about grooming ? Very important for little Chow to get used to it.
I use the grrooming for bonding time. 10 to 15min a day , mostly early mroning we spend together closely.
For Simba it is like mini spa. I massage him, in this way I will find ticks, matted fur, skin issues like hot spots ot bruises or see his reactions if I move his legs (pain) etc. I then comb his fur to remove the dead hair, he loves it. Nice way to start your day with your furry friend.
She is very good with grooming, we also spend around 10mins. She likes it a lot, I think because its basically a spa + affection session for her :)

We have a "problem" I forgot to add...When we are in the house she seems to be much less distracted and she comes to me easily, we play etc. But when we go out for potty or for a little walk in the yard after potty she seems like she is too distracted with stuff (maybe smells?) and literally ignores me. She becomes a very stubborn little baby!..I don't want to do anything wrong. We go out for potty, we arrive at the potty place just outside my yard and she does her business. Immediately after she starts to wonder around...If I choose to let her do it she would try to lead the walk...If I choose to lead the walk she would act stubborn and would either pull to the leash back, or even sit!..What is the problem here and how do I correct? I tried to treat her if she walks WITH me, or if she comes towards me but I am not sure its working (its been a few days I've been trying this of course...maybe its too soon to tell.) Cheers :) e.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Hee! Hee! You have a baby chow chow and she will try to run the show. You have only had her a few days you know and you must very gently get her used to the idea that you are the Mummy Person and she is the chow chow - you say and she does!! :lol:
However, chow chows can be stubborn. s
She is wanting to see what is out in the world. Smells and sounds and things are all so very interesting to a baby chow and to a grown up chow. Just keep on encouraging her and talking to her and it will work out - she is not ignoring you - she is concentrating on what is around her. Be patient with her and persuade her it is a good idea to go your way.
It will work out. :)
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Immediately after she starts to wonder around...If I choose to let her do it she would try to lead the walk...If I choose to lead the walk she would act stubborn and would either pull to the leash back, or even sit!..What is the problem here and how do I correct? I tried to treat her if she walks WITH me, or if she comes towards me but I am not sure its working (its been a few days I've been trying this of course...maybe its too soon to tell.) Cheers :) e.
You have a CHOW. Ursa is 5, and if she gets tired during a walk she will lie down. When she was a puppy, that sounds like the way she was. I just went with the flow and let her walk anywhere she wanted to go (of course,we did not just wonder into the street or other inappropriate places). My thought was to just make her comfortable with being on the leash. As time progressed, we worked with directing the walk. My two still won't heel, but as long as the will walk with a slack lead and let me pick the direction, I consider it to be good enough. You will just have to work with it.
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

And here is my "you have a Chow".
Simba follows if I do interesting things, play with him throw stuff etc. The moment the environment becomes more interesting "off he goes". With Chows don't "sweat the small stuff" let them be. Us your authority only when it counts. The problem with Chows they're intelligent perfectly capable of taking things in their own hands. Simba starts to protect us with with four months.So I had to train him to ignore the little noises and let everyone in the house move around freely. But gentle, patient. They only follow a calm,gentle but firm leader. never get frustrate with a Chow. If you do things will get worse.
Best regards
Pinoy51
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

a couple points out of your later posts...

the toys...dont be afraid to give her those regardless of where she is. they wont teach destructive behavior, but if used as replacements, will actually teach her the proper items to chew on. if she grabs a shoe, replace it with her toy. if she naws on a table leg, have her stop and give her the toy. Give your chow the credit she deserves. Very smart dogs and she will get it in no time.

And oh yes, you have found the mystical ability of the chow to selectively hear what she wants. a lab or a golden will wait on every word and come running to you for the attention. a chow will decide in a millisecond whether you are more interesting that whatever else she is looking at and pretend that she is deaf. this is not hopeless, but you probably wont achieve 100% success. My suggestion is to lure in just about any situation you can think of for practice. And this can be all about dog psychology. We use a training treat when in the house to help reinforce the basic commands (sit, stay, down, speak, paw, etc). Very basic bite sized treats. When outside, we need to use something with a bit more appeal. Rory loves cheese, but i understand that is not a viable option for our international friends. For lead training and show ring exercise, a liver bait works well. Good aroma and very attractive (to him, not me). Try out a few options to get best results. Dont expect 100%, she's a chow and will only respond when she wants to. If she is not belly full, that may help on the practicing.
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

I kinda agree with Sarahloo on the point of having the pup sleep in the room with you. Get a crate, and when it's bedtime, tell them "goodnight or bed time or bed" and get them to go in. You can also cover it witha blanket to make it extra dark like a den. Then when it's bedtime, they know it's time to sleep, just like you. This will also allow you to hear them if they have to get up and go in the middle of the night while they're too young to hold it. That does not mean however, you give into every whimper. They need to know it's sleep time. We no longer use our crate, but it was also a good place for him to be during the day while I was at work to ensure he didn't get into anything or in time soil anything as it helped with the house training. I do not however agree with giving her access to the whole house until she can be trusted not to chew things up or use the inside of the house as her personal toilet. You'll also be able to keep track of her wanting to go out or what she tries to get into and are able to correct her in the act. Baby gate off wherever you're at, at the time. Then as she matures and can be trusted, give access to new rooms a little at a time. Walking is a great bonding exercise for you and your puppy. It allows alone time when you can move as one. You can also take this oppurtunity to train her how to walk properly. If done at an early stage, you can have a decent walker as an adult. I would also recommend "training" time for about 15 mins a day. Also bonding time, but a time she's learning to respect you. Teach basic commands and then you can move onto more fun and challenging tricks. This will also wear her down mentally, which can help with the whole needing to play all the time aspect. Play time is important too. I wouldn't encourage nipping or dominance behavior. This will help when she goes through her rebellious stage as a puppy teenager. Good luck!
cypruschowchow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cypruschowchow »

Again, thank you so much for all the replies! All very useful and so enlightening!

I think I discovered a nice way to solve our leash problem! Whenever she was more interested in other stuff or doesn't want to go my direction I did a little trick and first distract her with a sound to grab her attention and go to the direction where she wanted to go BUT with my lead. Therefore I still lead her on the leash but towards the direction she was conditioned to go. I am not sure if this is tricking ME or HER (hehehe!) but it worked, today we persistently were able to walk together in more harmony and to the direction I want :)

Again thank you so much for all comments regarding leash, toys and TyChowgirl for the advice on housetraining. I will soon make a picture banner of her for all of you to see our beautiful puppy :)
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

I think that is doing well!
The thing is you are not dealing with a "dumb dowgie" there. You are dealing with a chow chow - a very sophisticated, chowling who will grow up to be an absolutely beautiful, arrogant, aloof, stubborn and utterly enchanting friend.
At the moment you are in the "bonding" time. You are loving her and protecting her and wanting to train her to be a well mannered chow chow. She is having a ball - she has a new home, people who do things for her, feed her and provide for her and she will try to run it her way. :lol: Suddenly she will mature a little and will realise that she actually loves you - won't take long. :) Then one of these days she will look at you and you will see the love in her eyes. That is indeed a wonderful moment.
Also, regarding walks, you must remember that the walk is hers as well as yours.
For example, I have just got in from our walk and along where we go are several oak trees. ~Squirrels live up there and Matilda and Maisie know they are there and always stop for a moment to see if they can see them. I took the girls separately this morning and when I was out with Maisie the squirrels were running up and down the branches and leaping from branch to branch and they were having a rare old time. :lol: Maisie stopped to watch with her tail twitching so we stood for a few minutes - I did not really want to watch but it was nice watching Maisie's enjoyment of the situation. Then we moved off and Maisie was happy to do so. When I then went along with Matilda the squirrels had gone but she could smell them on the ground so I let her look for a minute to see if she could spot them but they were quiet. She was happy to move on once she had had her little look.
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

Hi Judy,
love your reply.
Actually you made me completely aware why it is so attractive to have a chow as a companion. It is so different to have a Chow compared to all the other dogs living with us. It is indeed the eyes, and the intelligence this wonderful dogs have. Thank you for sharing this with us.
And don't get me wrong I love all my dogs, it is just so much different having Simba around and interacting with him, then it is with my other boys and girls.
Best regards
Pinoy51
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Thank you Pinoy.
I am nearly 70 yrs. old and I have owned and loved many dogs through the years.
The first was a little black mongrel called Bonzo when my mother and I lived with my aunty's family. Then when we had a home of our own we had boxers and then corgis. When Fred and I got married we had a little black and white mongrel called Peg then we had Great Danes, Pugs and a boxer. When Meg, our boxer died suddenly one night we thought carefully and researched several breeds and settled on chow chows and when we brought out first little girl home nearly 12 yrs. ago and then her litter sister 6 months later, life has never been the same again. Milly and Mabel are now together in The Happy Hunting Ground and we have Matilda and Maisie who are nearly 3 yrs. old.

Fred always had dogs when he was a child and when he was in the army he had a War Dog called Tex.

We have loved all our dogs but these chow chows are special.

By the way Cyprus chowchow you have not told us what your chowling's name is. :D
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

Judy, thanks for confirming what I'm feeling now since 5 month and sorry for your losses. It is true life will never be the same again with a Chow around.
Actually I bought a little girlfriend for Simba two weeks ago, she will join us end of September. Can't wait to see this two. Two or three weeks ago I started to realize also that Simba indeed aquired the ability to act responsible within the limits I gave him, without commanding him. Example: all dogs have to sit and relax before the get their food, once the bowl is put down they have to wait until the command "now it's okay" has been given. The usual alpha thing.
All four other dogs have a hard time to wait, so did Simba until two weeks ago.
Now he walks slowly to his feeding place, smells the food being prepared to know what it will be. Then he walks away 1mtr or 2 and settles down. No command needed. I put the bowl down, he doesn't stand up. I give the "okay" command he looks at me. Then within the next minute he walks casually over to his bowl and starts his meal.
Two days ago, I stopped giving the "okay" command as well, and he still takes his time. No jumping, barking or bullying his way to the bowl. He just waits and then accept it, exactly they way I taught him.
It became his own behaviour pattern now, no re-inforcement needed. None of my other dogs got it like that in all the years they're with me. Chows are special friends once you got their respect, they use their intelligence to please you and at the same time to amuse themselves or to learn.
Best regards
Pinoy51
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Yes exactly Pinoy.
Chow chows will often try to push their luck and see what they can get away with and we have to find ways to deal with them. 8)
For example, Matilda always wants to watch when we see another dog when out on a walk. She does not bark at them or want to interact with them - she just wants to watch. If I want to move on she will "plant her feet" on the ground and refuse to move. She has done this since she was a youngster so the way I deal with it - rather than just yank her along - I took the line, "OK we will watch but you will sit while we do!" So now when we se a dog she wants to watch she will sit or if she does not I will tell her to sit. She now knows that if she does not sit we cannot watch! So she gets to watch but on my terms! \:D/
cypruschowchow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cypruschowchow »

Judy Fox wrote:Yes exactly Pinoy.
Chow chows will often try to push their luck and see what they can get away with and we have to find ways to deal with them. 8)
For example, Matilda always wants to watch when we see another dog when out on a walk. She does not bark at them or want to interact with them - she just wants to watch. If I want to move on she will "plant her feet" on the ground and refuse to move. She has done this since she was a youngster so the way I deal with it - rather than just yank her along - I took the line, "OK we will watch but you will sit while we do!" So now when we se a dog she wants to watch she will sit or if she does not I will tell her to sit. She now knows that if she does not sit we cannot watch! So she gets to watch but on my terms! \:D/
Haha, so in essence, whenever it is impossible to change a chow's mind we should find a compromise that works on our terms :)