First time chow owner (3 month old) and lots of questions :(

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Re: First time chow owner (3 month old) and lots of question

Post by Judy Fox »

You got it in one! =D=

What is your little girl's name?
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Pinoy51
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pinoy51 »

Hi Cyprus, yes, that was my main learning. Compromise or a "win-win" situation. My evening ritual with Simba:
"okay you can stay outside for a while, but don't bark." I came up with that sentence, because after his evening potty he loves to hang-out. Instead of dragging him in or scooping him up I let him, until he starts barking. (we're talking about 11pm or later). The moment he barks I bring him in, in the beginning mainly scooping him up :D.
Now if he sees me coming out, he walks in by himself, sometimes of course in the longest possible way and with the slowest movements, afterall he remains Chow. Sometimes I ask myself who is training whom :D. could tell more stories like this e.g. about our grooming arrangements.
Best regards
Pinoy51
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Hee! ee! I wonder why Simba's walk in sounds so familiar!! :lol:

Anther example of letting the chows do something they want on their walk is what happened this morning. We came to a spot where we usually turn left but half a dozen steps on, leaning up a post was a wheel trim that had obviously come off a car wheel and somebody had propped up. Both Matilda and Maisie "planted their feet" so we let them go and see it. They sniffed it, had a little grunt and harrumph at it and then quite happily turned round and we carried on down the road we wanted to. It was their walk and they wanted to check the wheel trim out. :lol:
Can't imagine what they made of it. \:D/
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)