First Time Owner

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

kalsayed
Rank 0
Rank 0

First Time Owner

Post by kalsayed »

I'm strongly considering getting a chow chow puppy, leaning towards a male. I have never owned a dog before, closest i've come is a cat. I have a general idea of how to handle dogs, I was just looking for more information on what specifically I need to know about chow chows thats different from other breeds. I'm also leaning towards a male, but I'm still not committed, I'm looking for more information on the difference between males and females too. I prefer a calmer puppy, not too energetic and always ready to fight.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: First Time Owner

Post by Cam Atis »

General idea on caring for a dog is a head start but not everything. Pre requisite are:
1. Do you love to save and nurture any animal given to you?
2. Are you willing to lose a few nights worth of sleep because your animal is sick or needs comfort?
3. Do you enjoy feeding any animal and willing to learn how they eat how they like their food?
4. Would you be reluctant to leave your animal if something awful happened? Examples of which are floods, storm or simply moving out?

If you answer YES to all, you can survive a dog. A chow is a gentle breed but like all breeds they do bite and do attack other dogs simply because they are canines.

Because you asked what other knowledge you need to learn from chow vs. other breeds means you know how a chow is. They are quiet, well behaved, self regulating dog (as compared to other dogs) dont take the traits at face value. It is said relatively speaking.
I prefer females over males because females dont mark territories with that male dog scent! They are more reliable in guarding the kids or property than males who are always on the look out for females in heat and would be gone in a moment's notice. Males are great escape artists you know. Nature calls!
Females also dont mount humans like males do. Males will embarass you for humping the legs of a friend or everyone in the room.
Both *Censored Word* however can have a penchant of sniffing another person's ... which can be frustrating.

Before you take your plunge, reflect first if you can handle them. Poor dogs who suddenly find themselves free because their owner thought they can care for a dog only to realize they can't.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

I would not say what kind of match a Chow and a canine newbie might make. One of the most successful Chow owners I know was a newbie to canine ownership when she got her Chow, Special Dark. Having said that, Chows are very easy in some ways and a real challenge in others. Correct socialization (their introduction to people, other pets, and places) is crucial to prevent other problems in an adult Chow. Read up in the training section to get insight of things you might face in getting a Chow. Also, Chows are said to be very cat-like, and getting a chowling who has a laid back personality will help in the cat relationships.
kalsayed
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kalsayed »

i am actually looking forward to the challenges a new pet will bring to me, im looking forward to staying up and taking care of him/her. i received this from another user:
Hi

A chow is not a dog for a neophyte dog owner. If you had sound experience
with other dogs, I'd say yes, look for a docile chow, but you haven't had
any previous dog experience, and if you read up on chows you'll see that
most credible sources stress that new dog owners should evolve towards
chows after having had dog ownership experiences with easier, more domestic
breeds.

If you plan on not heeding these words and getting a chow anyways, please
get a senior or an adult and not a puppy. At least a senior or an adult
will already have a proven character , will be more predictable for you to
work with.

Just look at all the people on this forum who have trouble with their
chows.
These are guard dogs , bred to guard. They weren't really bred for anything
else, so you need to really understand the implications of that.

Good luck!
i actually did not know that chows were mainly guard dogs and bred to guard. i just thought that was 1 of the many roles they might take on. i can adapt to the dogs personality in the beginning anyway. i dont think an adult chow would be ideal for me, i want to be there with the chow from the beginning.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Hmmm... I dont agree that because you have no previous dogs you must own an adult chow. I thought I believe also that kind of thinking that a chow is not or beginners BEFORE I owned a chow. But as Auddymay said it is not really true. As i said , chows are sweet natured when it comes to their owners. But being guard dogs, (they really were temple guards and were used to deciding) they can be and most are fiercely protective if challenged. Such behavior can be molded through careful upbringing. No hitting. Words are almost enough to train them.

I also share your thoughts on having a puppy chow. I owned dogs since I was a kid, mutts ad purebreeds. I have gravitated to purebreeds in my adult life and I also bred dogs so I pretty much have an idea how they are. Relatively speaking, a chow is behaved, and easily trained than most of them. Relatively no doggy scent (they have) and relatively stubborn at times. Cassie my chow is the clingiest dog I ever had. Well, talk about independent streak, but she keeps close to me ALL the time that we are together.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

i wouldnt recommend any dog based on your statement that you are looking for a dog that is always ready to fight.

That being said, the chow doesnt look to actually engage. They are extremely intelligent and use intimidation to avoid the actual fight. The stance, an aggressive bark or growl, and their build will usually back an opponent off, but can backfire with a breed that is truly aggressive or a dog that just doesn't care about all that.

A chow would defend a proper owner to the end without question, but is that really what you want? I am pretty local to you, so if you want to meet a well socialized dog, and to see how he protects his home, i can introduce you to Rory. He is a very well socialized and friendly dog. He does AKC Confirmation Shows and reacts very well to people and other dogs.

A general idea on how to handle dogs will not do with Chows. You need to understand the breed, and how to handle them specifically. If you plan on having a chow, based on the post, the chow will have you and it wont be easy.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

I will go with Auddymay. If you are willing and dedicated, and have a LOT of patience, you can successfully raise a chow. A few tips. FIRST, meet the parents. Your chowling will be a mix of the personalities of the parents. If you can't meet the parents, think long and hard about this. I have had dogs most of my life, and I am 63. Ursa was the first chow for me. She was six weeks old, a rescue, and probably a reject from a puppy mill. She had health issues and was fearful and shy. It took me about a year to bring her out. Had I had chow experience it might have takes less time. Had I not had considerable experience with dogs, who knows how it would have turned out. You are going to want parents that are fairly friendly, somewhat laid back and perhaps a little outgoing. Secondly, you want your puppy to stay with its litter for at least 8 weeks, longer if possible. A puppy learns a lot from its mother and litter mates. If you can look in on the litter, you can get some understanding about the personality of each dog. Dogs, like people are individuals, and each will have a certain type of personality. Keep that in mind. You should also ask about the parents and their parents to determine if there are any genetic health issues. There is a laundry list of issues, most of them relate to skeletal and joint problems. You will have to read through the forums to get an idea. I am not trying to scare you, since all dogs, especially pure bred dogs have some genetic issues. Most of the large dog breeds could have skeletal and joint problems.

I think chows are wonderful. My two are the best two dogs I have ever had. Cam has some good points
chows are sweet natured when it comes to their owners. But being guard dogs, they can be and most are fiercely protective if challenged. Such behavior can be molded through careful upbringing. No hitting. Words are almost enough to train them. Relatively speaking, a chow is behaved, and easily trained than most of them. Relatively no doggy scent (they have) and relatively stubborn at times.
I hope I have now scared you with my comments on getting a puppy. As a first time dog owner, I just wanted you to be aware. Now if your not firmly set on a puppy, there are plenty of adult dogs out there for adoption. It really breaks my heart to see so many of them. The one thing about an adult rescue dog is that you can see just how the dog behaves if it is being taken care of by a foster. Those in the shelters tend to be a little more reserve due to their uncertainty about their situation. You can check this forum, http://www.facebook.com/CHOWSINNEED, http://chowsinneed.com/, since you are Cambridge, you are not far from NY http://www.facebook.com/ChowChowRescue, and there are many others......Yes, I am suggesting rescues dogs to anyone who can take one.

Good luck to you. I currently have 5 dogs, and I think my chows are the best.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

@ Rory's Dad, I got a different read out of that last sentence from kalsayed based on the "prefer a calmer puppy" as the lead in. @ Kalsayed, I would take up the offer to meet Rory. That will give you a better idea about what a well trained chow is like.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

I don't know who sent you that message, but they are wrong about a couple of things:

First I happen to believe that anyone who has been around cats, especially if their cats were well adjusted friendly cats who didn't run and hide when ever vistiors were in the house, can deal with a chow. The most problems people tend to have with chows are their independent, stubborn cat like ways.

2nd chows were bred, back in the old days for several reasons: to pull, (they are sled dogs), to hunt, (birds and other prey,including some of the medium sized wild cats), to guard,(against humans and other animals) to provide fur for clothing and meat for eating, we won't talk too much about those last two, but they are true nonetheless. Some chows show more of one trait, though most will show all those traits. That multiple purpose breeding is one of the reasons for their intelligence and stubborness, as well as their independence. What this means is usually the following: they were bred to pull, so sometimes getting them to walk at a perfect heel is difficult, try getting them to walk on a relaxed lead, that usually works better. They were bred to hunt, so they have a very strong prey drive and will go after birds, squirrels, cats and any other small creature they may encounter on walks, so you must learn to watch them and watch out for these distractions on walks and learn to counter the distractions with commands, like "leave it". They were bred to guard, so socializations is very important, unless you want to become a hermit. A puppy should be taken as many places as you can where he/she will meet people and other pets, where he/she will have POSITIVE experiences to learn that world is a big happy place, (it is your job to protect and to decide what should be protected against) The biggest problem people have with chows is that the person doesn't really become a leader, people think "oh when I say sit, my chow sits, I'm the boss." And the chow is thinking, "yeah I'll sit because I feel like it and this idiot will give me a treat, I can even sit without them saying it and I'll get a treat because I'm the REAL boss around here."

To be a leader means more than giving a command and having it obeyed. My chows wait patiently until I tell them it is ok to eat, they wait to go in or out of doors until I have either gone in or out, or I tell them to go in or out. I am stingey with treats, and somewhat stingy with praise as well, when I'm training something new I'm more giving but once a behavior is learned I tend to expect it of them and they will get at most a "good boy/girl" for it, if I'm feeling like it that time. I am very much a natural alpha, I expect certain behaviors at all times, I don't change up from one time to the next and I am quick to correct if the rules are broken, I use a word, "aught" that I somewhat growl when I'm not pleased. Works everytime.

As far as gender is concerned, I've had mostly males, they do tend to be more laid back and generally calmer. I've had both intact males and neutered males and really haven't had problems with any of them as far as humbing, mounting or any of those behaviors or running after females in heat. I'm the boss, there will be none of those things unless I allow it and I don't, so they don't happen. My girl is a nut, she's a bit more hyper and usually into something, but she has her toys and she's funny. she is also much shyer than any of males have ever been, but this is a left over trait from where ever she was for her first year of life, and after nine years with me she is much better, but no where near as relaxed with new situations as my males have been.

In the end it really boils down to how much time and energy you are willing to put into having a well behaved chow that is a credit to your leadership and the breed. A puppy takes work because you have to put in the time to teach him/her what is expected by you and the world at large. You take over as mom and pack leader and that is your role from then on. An older chow is work because you have to bond with him/her and that means patience and good leadership and will normally take a minimum of six months and can take up to a year.

Owning a chow takes patience, persistence, respect, tolerance, a sense of humor, and work. If you are willing to live with that then you will be a fine chow owner, if you are lacking in any of those things and not willing to work on them, get a golden retierver, they are much easier to handle.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

I second everything Victory said, especially the part about cats. If you have trained your cat, you understand the type of patience and understand that is needed to train a chow.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Cats can be trained? Seriously? Hmmm... That's very interesting. I knew they would just rub your legs purring around coz they want a meal. After eating then they go walk away to some place and come back for meals.
Can you train cats to sit and come? Or jump over something on command?
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Ursa, thank you for that correction... i probably did misread the punctuation, and in that light Kal probably did intend to mean a dog that was not ready to fight. My apologies...since i am generally on later at night i can misread at times.

Regardless, the offer to meet up with Rory still stands...he's a ton of fun and can give you a good insight into chows.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

@Kalsayed, I would definitely take up the offer to meet Rory for no other reason than to see an exceptional chow.

@Cam, you can train cats. It is about like the difference between training most dogs and training chows. YOU have to really think like the animal, and it takes a lot of time and patience. As I have said before, I train my cats to walk on a leash. That is not hard. Cats know and learn a lot from observation, much like chows. My son trained one of the cats to shake. My Waldo would fetch. The more time you are willing to devote to training and then reinforcing the training the more successful and advanced the cat training can be. I tend to keep it simple and practical; walk with a leash, readily ride in an automobile, stay off the kitchen counters, keep out of the garbage, etc.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

@Ursa's Dad: :shock: oh! I never thought it possible for a cat doing fetch! Or anything like that! Glad to know cats can be trained. :D cassie by the way is done with all my "training" she have mastered the inside, Sit, emergency down and alpha (?) roll as I scratch her belly. She doesnt like the STAY command but she pretty much understand my "Stay" command and would not follow me anymore. She can walk on leash well. So that's all for us. Oh she can jump on command also.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Cam Atis wrote:Cats can be trained? Seriously? Hmmm... That's very interesting. I knew they would just rub your legs purring around coz they want a meal. After eating then they go walk away to some place and come back for meals.
Can you train cats to sit and come? Or jump over something on command?
Yes, cats can be trained to do those things, it's even been done well enough to be shown on TV and some other animal shows. My cats were well trained to come when I called, to sit on command, jumb down at a snap of my fingers and a point, or up onto something on the word up, they walked on leash too. Most people don't train their cats because they don't think a cat CAN be trained but with work, attention and patience a cat can be trained too. And if you can train a cat you can train a chow.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
JStone
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JStone »

I recommend getting an adult dog. My first dog ever was a blue female shelter chow who was originally owned by an amateur breeder who passed her on to someone else, who passed her on to someone else, and then maybe one more owner, who either abandoned her or let her get away and never looked for her. (I lived in a city of 90,000 and we ran into her first owner and also the father of one of her later owners. And the guy who found her and turned her in.) She was the best dog ever. She was calm, sweet, house trained, never went on furniture or begged at the table. I know for a fact her later owners did not take good care of her. She and I bonded and that was it. She was my girl and I was hers. I gave her the best of everything and tried to spoil her, but all the love I gave her she just gave back.
It was funny to take her on walks. People either gave us a wide berth, thinking she was a vicious beast, or were entranced by her looks and wanted to ask a million questions, pet her, make friends, buy her from me. I put her down this past May.
I do not understand this "mean dog" perception. I was a humane society volunteer for 4 years and of the dog bite quarantine cases we got, they were pretty evenly split, half pit bulls and half cocker spaniels, not once a chow chow.
So...I wholeheartedly agree with the recommendation to adopt an adult. You will know what you are getting, they will be already trained, and you will be saving a life. I think they know that.
I am in the process of adopting another shelter chow, a beautiful girl who has been there for 6 months. I am the first applicant, which to me is appalling.