Is chow right for me?

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Is chow right for me?

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Don't think dog or cat, think individuals. In the house we have three cats and five dogs. Dog-dog, no real problem; dog-cat, definitely no problem; cat-cat, problems. Dogs are pack animals. They understand that it is better to get along than to disturb the group. Cats are solitary and territorial. Being part of a group is not as instinctive. I think that you understand that your cats are individuals. Use this same understand on your puppy. Puppies and kittens don't realize exactly what they are. They learn from their parents and litter mates. In adopting a puppy, you become the parent, and the pack leader. The cats become the other pack members for the puppy. There are many videos out there of puppies playing with puppies. Adult dogs and cats don't remember being puppies or kittens, so the excited behavior of a puppy will not be understood by the other animals. You understand the ways that your cats communicate to you and to each other. You have to learn how your puppy communicates to you. This is what I meant about learning about Ursa. Animals will try to make their wants known. If YOU pay attention and try to understand, things can go well. Remember that the puppy (think kitten) knows nothing, and you have the knowledge and experience. You have got to properly instruct the puppy. They do try. The first day, Malachi, my male chow, made a little noise I did not understand. The next thing, I had to clean the floor. He tried to tell me. The next morning, when he made the same noise, I rushed him outside. That was the house training. I would take him out frequently, and if he gave me an indication that he needed to go, out we went. I was the one being trained to pay attention to the puppy and provide the correct response. That is what I mean by knowing the puppy. Are puppies destructive? Well, if you watch a puppy out in the yard carrying around a stick and chewing on it, would you say the puppy is destructive or the puppy is just playful and doing what puppies do? You would probably say the puppy is playful and just exploring his universe. Substitute your shoe for the stick and what do you think. Remember, you are the leader. You have to instruct the puppy on appropriate toys and behavior. The puppy does not know. Please remember that dogs, especially puppies explore their world by putting things in their mouth. In the first few months of life, a puppy will be teething and will want to chew on lots of things. You should pick up items that you do not want your puppy to get. Also, you should probably get appropriate gates to restrict the puppy from some of the rooms. It would be best if the cats could have a room as a retreat where they could come and go as they pleased.

I have always fed my dogs from a bowl on the floor. A puppy should always have water available, and should be fed about 4 times a day. I would take mine out shortly after feeding.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

i dont know what is being recommended where you are or by the breeder. we do use a raised dish only because it seemed easier for Rory when we were getting new pet equipment. there is some discussion that a lower bowl will cause a chow to eat slower, thereby reducing the risk of bloat. dont have any personal experience with that however.

also, havent heard a bunch on info on eggs in the diet. our breeder was seeking about 80% protein in the pups diet to help build bone and muscle. we have continued on that (but since he is approaching 1 year, will see if we should change it). Rory eats cottage cheese for breakfast, and we alternate either a chicken breast or hamburg for his dinner. Obviously these can be pricey diets, and may not be practical for everyone, but he does have fantastic muscle development, and very healthy coat. May be more to his heritage than diet, but likely a combination of both.
Chowmomma
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Chowmomma »

I have had chows for over 20+ years, 11 total pure breeds and I have never had one turn on me, VERY loyal, you give respect you get respect. I always have taken my puppies for grooming until about 6 most old then I take over, but it gets them used to strange people touching them

Also trips to pet stores as puppies through adult gets them lots of attention from others, people are drawn to them and just want to touch them. I took mine everywhere with me and insisted people held them

Chows are very much cat like in their ways but at same time they want to know where their humans are at all times

I am a dedicated chow owner and just never want a different breed EVER
my home will always have a chow in it, I have three at the moment and they are amazing!!! One warning .........

You WILL become addicted!
good luck!

*Chowmomma*