new mom

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

Zavanah's mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

new mom

Post by Zavanah's mom »

hi
I bought my first chow chow this weekend. She is absolutely beautiful. Her name is Zavanah and she is 10 weeks old.

She already sits for her treats and doesn't soil my house which is absolutely amazing. She is so clever :D lol

My question is, I bought her puppy food from the pet store but have been reading the forums and am now concirned as to whether i need to buy her special food. She eats the pellets and seems to enjoy them but do i need to get her a suppliment? My breeder says no but I just want to be sure.
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: new mom

Post by Rio »

Whether or not you add supplements depends entirely on the dry food you are feeding. Any additional supplements you wish to add, I would ask your vets advice about.
A lot of people on here add glucosamine in some form or another, for the same reason humans take it, joint care.

Congratulations on your new chowling and I look forward to seeing photos. Welcome.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Feeding solely on dogfood is never wrong nor inadequate. It is complete in itself. The choice of what to feed (home cooked or ready to eat canned or pellets) are owner's choice.
Giving vitamins and calcium during growth means a lot to the bones of the pup later in life.
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Hello and welcome.
It is not often that pet stores sell good quality food so it is best to read the ingredients. Chows should not be fed wheat, maize or corn, yeast or beat pulp. These are used mainly as fillers and are not good as they can cause hotspots. A good quality food with meat and brown rice and vegetables is best. Look at ingredients and buy the best you can afford as the better quality foods can be fed in smaller amounts and can also save on vet bills. Ask if you need any further help as there will be people on here from your country who can help if you feel the food you have is not as good as it could be.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Actually in the US, it is Grocery stores that carry low quality food. You need to shop petstores to get the better quality names and products.
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Neither are that great over here....grocery stores are definitely the worst. You have to go to independant pet shops or the internet to get decent food in the UK :(
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

I second that Sirchow, local supermarkets are useless, they sell the brands that reckon they are supreme and charge the earth for them. Petstores are even worse, and very limited too. I buy my food from a farm shop that sell it cheaper than the company who produce it, go figure!!!!!
Zavanah's mom
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Zavanah's mom »

Thanks so much for your advice. I live in South Africa. Maybe I should cook my own food for Zavanah.