hi all new chow owner any info on them would be ace :)

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

kinky_tinxi
Rank 0
Rank 0

hi all new chow owner any info on them would be ace :)

Post by kinky_tinxi »

hi my name is stef and im 30 years old,
after having staffordshire bull terriers all my life i embarked on a change and got a chow.
thinking i have done a fab job with my staff id be fine! But bruce my lil chow is fabulasly behaved and we have no behavioural problems at present with him apart from the usual puppy stuff.
after a visit to north wales and coming across a loverly couple who have had chows for 35 years they told us lots of things we never knew about chows like the throat cancer and using a harness is better due to this.
If anyone can help with anything like this i would be so grateful for this.
thanks in advance
stef x
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Re: hi all new chow owner any info on them would be ace :)

Post by Victory »

Chows get mouth and throat cancer, (more than other breeds), because of the pigmentation in their mouths and throats. It's not common however. In all the years I've been on this site, since the beginning and even before that when there was an older site, and had chows, 20+ now, I've only ever heard of one chow who had mouth cancer, Pekoe, and she survived it for 6 years. A good reason to use a particular type of harness with a chow is to discourage pulling, they love to pull! They were bred to pull and sometimes that is a problem.

Also they are very different from the Staffies. Stafford bull terriers want to please you, they are in vested in pleasing you, they love to clown and be happy for you. Chows want to please themselves, you're an after thought. This becomes more and more apparent as they grow and mature. A chow is your partner, (I've always nicknamed my males, "buddy" ) not your servant. The only thing you really have to do with chows is socialize them a lot, because they can become shy and/or wary around people and other dogs, this can lead to fear biting. Socialization goes hand in hand with being a good leader, a chow will normally actually look to you, (or it's owner) for guidence in new situations, they want to know if you think it is safe. If you proceed with confidence they will and they will learn to be confident. Keeping a chow apart from the world is not a good idea, and socialization is lifelong, they can revert to being wary if kept apart for a time.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

I second what Victory has to say about chows and socialization. They definitely are your partner, and they look to you for guidance. You don't own them, and they don't own you; they are a part of the family. In the evening, my wife will go upstairs to the bedroom, and Ursa will go up with her and stay on the floor on her side of the bed. If I am working late, she will come down to check on me when I come home. Malachi will stay downstairs with me if I am watching the TV or on the computer. When I get ready to go to bed, he will wait halfway up the stairs while I turn off the lights. He will wait until I start up the stairs before he will continue. Socialization is a constant requirement. If I don't take them out into the world, they get overly defensive of the house and yard, so every opportunity, I take them out with me.
bellachow
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bellachow »

Ditto to all the above. My best advice is to remember chows are unlike any other breed. The training, socialization and everyday life will be different than with staffies. I can only tell you what I have seen in the breed. All my chows have been fiecely independant, on the lazy side, very food oriented, had a serious prey drive/instinct and responded only to positive training. Good luck playing 'fetch'...mine love squeaky balls but throw one & they look at me like 'you threw it, you go get it' and even if they decide to go get it, Im not getting it back. As for the prey drive, there have been a number of mice, bunnies & kittens that have made the mistake of coming into their yard (which is fenced off). I have never had a chow that would have responded the the 'normal' style of training that involves chock chains or hitting them (even if only lightly). But all have responded to positive reinforcement & treats for correct behaviour.

Above all, enjoy the time with your special little man.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

the other regs are shutting me out tonight...i have nothing to add, except well stated.