A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

JonoWP
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JonoWP »

Hey All

Newbie to not only the site but to the breed as well.

Got the twins about 3weeks ago & they are the joy to the household! Stunning brother & sister. Absolute terrors when they want to be but generally well behaved & super smart.

Been reading through a few posts & hoping to learn a lot more about the breed.

Till next time.

Jono
The day the kids arrived. Cyrus & Halo
The day the kids arrived. Cyrus & Halo
Cyrus & Halo.jpg (100.91 KiB) Viewed 6444 times
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Newbie

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Cute chow babies! :) Congrats! And welcome!
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

Hello and welcome. I love you black babies they are adorable. I am rather partial to the blacks myself. :D They remind me so much of my two black puppies I bred that have just gone to their new homes.
If you have any questions just ask. There is a wealth of experience and advice here.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

They are cute. There is a lot of information here, and like Sirchow said, feel free to ask. Over the years, I have had lots of dogs, and chows are a bit different. They are more independent and fantastically loyal and protective. They are excellent companions. They are definitely a handful, and require lots of socialization. You have to be willing to put a lot of work in training and socialization during the first year, but it is well worth it.
Rio
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rio »

How cute are they, welcome to the forum, I am a very new Chow owner too, but you will learn so much on here you will wonder how you ever managed before LOL.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Beautiful babies. Welcome to the site. :D
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Hugo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Hugo »

Gorgeous babies. Congratulations and welcome.
JonoWP
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JonoWP »

Hi All

Thanks for the welcome. They are indeed a handful but compared to my previous breeds they are a dream! Training is going well with them & they are brilliant when it comes to introducing them to other dogs. They share the house with our two cats as well & have to say, they are all getting on relatively well.

Thanks again for the welcome :)
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Welcome to the world of Chow Chows. The biggest problem with Chows is a hidden one, which you touched on in your last post...they are a dream. Easy to care for, easy to learn. And they are smart, in a stealthy way.

It is really easy to let 'little' bad habits develop. We tend to not correct them as needed because they do behave so nicely. Most of the time. Then when they hit the middle of their first year and gain some size, we start to try to control bad habits, but they fight us because we did not enforce the rules as wee Chowlings. They will test your resolve daily to see if you really want to change a particular rule they have already established to their liking.

Don't fall for those cute fluff-butt ways now...lol. You don't need to be rigid, but you do need to set some boundries early on so that they will be more inclined to accept new ones as the need develops. It is even more important when you start with 2 Chowlings.

Both are darlings, by the by, and I look forward to seeing them become fine Chow citizens of the site!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Auddymay has definitely hit it right. Take the advice of another experienced chow enthusiast and take that advice, dont let the sneaky chow take over. Keep the rules the rules, no how matter small or silly it may seem. Definitely that take an inch, take a mile mentality.
JonoWP
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JonoWP »

@Auddymay & Rory's Dad, your spot on & the advice is definitely taken with pleasure. They amount of times both of them, but mainly the male( Cyrus) have given the little sad eyes when reprimanded or when they have not gotten their way is too many to count.

We've started a walking routine every night or at least when the weather permits & they are awesome on the leash. No problems what so ever. Cyrus seems to have more of the stubborn streak in him while his sister, Halo, is more than willing to please.

They've grown quite a bit since the photo that I've posted & according to the vet are doing really well. I'll try & get a more recent photo soon.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Rory's Dad is right. Right now I am working out of town and my wife is at home with the dogs. They are not real bad by any means, but from our conversations I can tell that they are not behaving as well as they should. Don't tolerate anything your dogs do as a puppy that you would not want from an adult dog. Chows probably should be labor lawyers. They definitely recognize that any allowed activity sets a precedence.
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

So right Ursa's Daddy - a nip from a young chow chow puppy or a puppy jumping up at you is one thing - the same behaviour from a fully grown adult Chow Chow is an entirely different situation - so yes - nips are not allowed. Jumping up isn't either - could end up with you flat on your back with a cracked skull if an adult chow did it.
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

Nothing to add, the advice every one has given you is dead on. Just wanted to say your little black bundles are adorable. :D
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Aren't they just! I must say I like that one with a " little tassle on his tummy " - I would have loved a boy chow. :)
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

Judy my first chow, Buddy, was a black boy. I still have a soft spot for the black boys.
reddog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by reddog »

Welcome to the "chow" neighborhood.

They are adorable! Double trouble? Double the fun! Enjoy! \:D/
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Cocoa, we have chow girls and a few years ago - I am not sure exactly when now - maybe when Milly died three years ago, Zhuyos Mum told me about a chow boy in a rescue here on The Island. We tried to adopt him but they would not let us - they said he needed to be on his own and not with other dogs so the chance of a chow boy went. Then we got baby Matilda followed by her litter sister Maisie so girls rule the house! \:D/
I would love to know the character of a chow boy though. :D
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

Judy, I can only tell you about my boy, Buddy o I don't know if it is typical. He was much, much more dignified than the girls. Cocoa will roll around in the grass, on the concrete, anywhere it is cool when she gets hot during a walk, with Buddy he would just sit and refuse to move (nose in the air) until he said so. Cocoa will just plop down to sleep, usually with one leg out behind, with Buddy he would lower himself gracefully, front paws first, then kick both back legs out, again nose in the air until he actually put his head down. He was silly in his own way though, when I got home after work he would tell me about his day with all those little chow grunts and noises and if I got distracted before he was finished he would hit me with his paw until he had my undivided attention again. He was a very vocal boy, much more so than Cocoa although she does talk too, and would howl when sirens went by but didn't like anyone watching him when he did it so he would turn his back (if he couldn't see me I couldn't see him :lol: ). He was a very confident boy and very protective. Buddy and my boys grew up together and he was very gentle with the kids, they could do anything with him, he and my youngest used to wrestle together and he was always very gentle.
I still miss the sweet boy all these years later (he's been gone for ten years now) and when I went to look at Cocoa's litter my initial plan was to pick one of her black brothers but having just put Baby down (black girl) I felt that I would be constantly comparing a black puppy to the previous ones and when I saw her I just fell in love with my little red girl with her thick little legs.
ImageImage
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

And beautiful little fat legs they are too.
Thankyou for telling me about your boy. Zhuyos Mum told me about Zhuyo when he was alive and I have read about other boys on this site - just wish I could have known one. :)
Cocoa
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cocoa »

You're very welcome Judy. I am very glad I got to experience life with both boy and girls and see the differences and similarities between them. :D