newbie here

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

ginga-d
Rank 0
Rank 0

newbie here

Post by ginga-d »

Hi all

Myself and the wife have fallen in love with chows as our rabbit carer has one and now I desperately want to find us a pup. Ive chatted to our carer about them briefly and looked on many internet sites and they definately the dog for us. The main thing that bothers me is that when we were to get one and bring it home I want to know are they ok to leave at home while still young?
I work shifts and the wife works monday to friday both long days, but there are weeks when I will at home all week and then the wife is home all weekend when I go back on shift.

thanx for any replies
tabate45
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: newbie here

Post by tabate45 »

Welcome! When my pups were young I never had a bit of trouble out of them when left alone. I just kept them in one room with food and water. I tried to never leave them any longer than 4 hours without a potty trip. Just leave them with toys and a nice bed. Naturally, the older the pup the less trouble they are. Good luck.

Tracey
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Most people who want a chowling don't want to hear this, but you might consider looking into adopting a homeless Chow. I know what you are thinking...bad habits, bad health, will never bond...but this is mostly not the case. Many come with good manners, no health issues, and with a little time, can learn to love you. There are many Chows who's only crime was ignorant owners, and owners that fell on hard times and couldn't keep them. The plus side is you get a Chow that doesn't mind alone time, and may be somewhat trained. Just something to think about. Check our Chows needing a home section and Petfinder. There are often purebred Chows at both locations. Good luck however you go.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

I have to agree with Auddymay, adopting one of the many chows out there needing a home is a good idea.
https://www.facebook.com/CHOWSINNEED
I see these dogs every day, and it is heart breaking.
ginga-d
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ginga-d »

I would adopt but because we have a giant rabbit I've been told we should get a pup so that they can bond.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

Very young puppy needs a lot of attention. Just like a baby. An older dog might suit you well. It is Like adoPting a 6 year old or older.
If still, you prefer puppy aged 8-10weeks, then be prePared to clean up the pup everytime. They get messy.
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

Hi, I failed to note that you are in the UK. There probably are not that many adult chows for adoption there. Unfortunately, this is not the case here in the US.
Fozzbear
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fozzbear »

There is Chow Chow Rescue in London.
Just be aware that your pup and your rabbit may not bond - chows have a very high prey instinct and love to chase things. I thought that Fozz would bond with my cats but it hasnt worked out that way!
I wouldnt leave a puppy for more than a few hours (be aware that they chew like crazy). You can get a puppy visiting service quite cheaply though - my dog walker (on the few days I cant do it) does that for people. Baby chows need to eat 3/4 times a day so a puppy visit can sort that out for you.
kitten1426
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kitten1426 »

Ursa's daddy wrote:I have to agree with Auddymay, adopting one of the many chows out there needing a home is a good idea.
https://www.facebook.com/CHOWSINNEED
I see these dogs every day, and it is heart breaking.

We adopted Our Male Chow Kodi from Chow Chows of NY......he was 7 weeks old when we got him...He is such a great dog...We also adopted our Female chow believe or not from a Petsmart in PA...they had her listd as a chow mix...she isnt...lol..we got her at 12 weeks old...BOTH are awesome pups...If and well actually when we are ready for another Chow we will be adpoting from them again... \:D/
Our dogs...Kodi Male chow..[Mia Female Chow RB :( :( ]...Bear Male Airedale...Shelby Male Collie...And Moose airedale, New girl chow Merida