HELP. First time Chow owner. HEEEELP.

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

Ylaartim
Rank 1
Rank 1

HELP. First time Chow owner. HEEEELP.

Post by Ylaartim »

Hi guys. I'm back. My older posts has few replies. But, I APPRECIATE THE PEOPLE WHO REPLIED ON MY POSTS. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I really need help.

Name: Skye
Color:Cinnamon
With dominant blue-black tongue

First can you give me your opinions if you think we have a purebred chow? His name's Skye, and he is very adorable and healthy. Im worried because he doesnt have papers but the seller from the petstore guaranteed us that he is pure. And he seems tiny of his age. I researched chows of his age and they look bigger and fluffier than my baby.

Second is that how do I feed him? He's about 2mos. Skye is ALWAYS hungry. Can devour all the dog food in his bowl in about a minute or so. Im afraid if I feed him too much he'll become unhealthy. And in with that, he is always pooping. How do I train him to poo and pee on one area? He's wearing diapers because Im afraid he'll make a mess and get himself dirty or even eat his poop.

Lastly is that he likes to chew on things. He liked biting random stuffs. Is that because he's teething?

I NEED HELP. :( here are pics of him. :)
Attachments
524462_256689964424746_100002512338178_561985_1935029906_n.jpg
524462_256689964424746_100002512338178_561985_1935029906_n.jpg (65.79 KiB) Viewed 8951 times
539609_256677351092674_100002512338178_561958_579528648_n.jpg
539609_256677351092674_100002512338178_561958_579528648_n.jpg (179.62 KiB) Viewed 8951 times
538948_256678444425898_100002512338178_561962_1290984399_n.jpg
538948_256678444425898_100002512338178_561962_1290984399_n.jpg (118.42 KiB) Viewed 8951 times
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: HELP. First time Chow owner. HEEEELP.

Post by Cam Atis »

He is not pure chow. The ears gave him away. Besides you said he is not that expensive. So your parents got what they paid for.

Feed him 1/2cup (1cup = 200mL) 2x a day WHICH MEANS you feed him 1Cup Ration for aday. You can give your pup snacks at the middle of the day. Tanghalian. 1/4cup only. Give him milk 2xaday. That is If he is 2months (8-9wks). Gradually increase the daily ration to 1/2cup every 2 weeks or so.
at 3 months of age he should be consuming 2 cups per day. and as he grows older you will also reduce the meal times. Meaning you'll feed him 2xaday and later if he is 18months you can feed him once aday. He will poop once aday.
Everytime your dog eat, he will poop. He's a pup so if you feed 4x he'll poop 4x to 5times.
But pups need frequent feeding.
He poops a lot because you feed him a lot. Give him the normal ration and he wont get thin but he wont get so fat.

He will destroy a lot of your things (sleepers, school shoes, bags, chair legs etc) because he is teething. Give him a chew toy such as Nylabone. If you dont have the budget, an empty Wilkins bottle about 1 liter in size will do. Remove the cap , ring cap and label before giving it to your puppy. Or buy a rope big fat ones and tie knots on the ends. He mayy love play fetch.

Proper training (leash training) will teach your pup to behave in the house. Which are forbidden and which are allowed.

You are still young judging by your looks. But if you make that pup your buddy , you have to be prepared to clean up after his poop his urinating and generally his mess
Ylaartim
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ylaartim »

Cam Atis wrote:He is not pure chow. The ears gave him away. Besides you said he is not that expensive. So your parents got what they paid for.

Feed him 1/2cup (1cup = 200mL) 2x a day WHICH MEANS you feed him 1Cup Ration for aday. You can give your pup snacks at the middle of the day. Tanghalian. 1/4cup only. Give him milk 2xaday. That is If he is 2months (8-9wks). Gradually increase the daily ration to 1/2cup every 2 weeks or so.
at 3 months of age he should be consuming 2 cups per day. and as he grows older you will also reduce the meal times. Meaning you'll feed him 2xaday and later if he is 18months you can feed him once aday. He will poop once aday.
Everytime your dog eat, he will poop. He's a pup so if you feed 4x he'll poop 4x to 5times.
He poops a lot because you feed him a lot. Give him the normal ration and he wont get thin but he wont get so fat.

He will destroy a lot of your things (sleepers, school shoes, bags, chair legs etc) because he is teething. Give him a chew toy such as Nylabone. If you dont have the budget, an empty Wilkins bottle about 1 liter in size will do. Remove the cap , ring cap and label before giving it to your puppy. Or buy a rope big fat ones and tie knots on the ends. He mayy love play fetch.

Proper training (leash training) will teach your pup to behave in the house. Which are forbidden and which are allowed.

You are still young judging by your looks. But if you make that pup your buddy , you have to be prepared to clean up after his poop his urinating and generally his mess
Hi thanks for that :) I've read on other articles that his ears will eventually stand up. Especially the right ear that seems to be flopping down. 'cause he's just a puppy. :) his ears are in triangular shape though. We bought him the bone already.
Ylaartim
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ylaartim »

Ylaartim wrote:
Cam Atis wrote:He is not pure chow. The ears gave him away. Besides you said he is not that expensive. So your parents got what they paid for.

Hi thanks for that :) I've read on other articles that his ears will eventually stand up. Especially the right ear that seems to be flopping down. 'cause he's just a puppy. :) his ears are in triangular shape though. We bought him the bone already.
We got him for 10k w/o papers.
Cam Atis
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Cam Atis »

My profile picture shows Cassie my chow at 3months of age which I bought for 16,500 pesos (orig price is 18k coz she's female) but I got her after careful research on the internet and checking out breeders. Cassie is pedigreed. If I will buy her at pet stores they will price her at 25,000 up. non papered ones are 9k. So your 10k is near the range.
I dont know or rather I am not sure but my mutts (mix) ears did stand up as he grows older. He was of toy fox terrier descent. If you read physical traits of chows on wikipedia and other dog sites you will understand what Im saying. Breed conformation is important.
Goodluck kid! Read more here and you'll learn a lot.
Ylaartim
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ylaartim »

THANKS A LOT! :) appreciate it. Cassie is beautiful. :)
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Your pup looks purebred. The floppy ear will most likely stand up as he gets older, although I've seen plenty of poorly bred purebred chows with floppy ears as adults. (This is exactly why people need to do research on breeders and NOT buy from pet stores) But there is no "right" size for a chow puppy, each is an individual and grows at his/her own rate. As far as feeding; how often are you feeding him and how much? I've always started my pups off eating 3 times a day and I put 2 cups of food in their bowl each time. I allow them to eat what they want; growing puppies eat a lot. And on potty training; I wouldn't use a diaper (they get messier that way), I've always started by taking puppies out every 15-20 minutes, after they wake up, after they eat, after they drink; pretty much whenever their activity changes, they should go outside. Accidents are to be expected with puppies, it's how we learn what we're doing wrong (and no it's not the puppies fault, they don't know better).

Hope this helps.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Ylaartim
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ylaartim »

Tippsy'smom wrote:Your pup looks purebred. The floppy ear will most likely stand up as he gets older, although I've seen plenty of poorly bred purebred chows with floppy ears as adults. (This is exactly why people need to do research on breeders and NOT buy from pet stores) But there is no "right" size for a chow puppy, each is an individual and grows at his/her own rate. As far as feeding; how often are you feeding him and how much? I've always started my pups off eating 3 times a day and I put 2 cups of food in their bowl each time. I allow them to eat what they want; growing puppies eat a lot. And on potty training; I wouldn't use a diaper (they get messier that way), I've always started by taking puppies out every 15-20 minutes, after they wake up, after they eat, after they drink; pretty much whenever their activity changes, they should go outside. Accidents are to be expected with puppies, it's how we learn what we're doing wrong (and no it's not the puppies fault, they don't know better).

Hope this helps.
Thank you so much! It helped a lot. Gotta try that today :)
Ursa's daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ursa's daddy »

I agree with Tippsy's Mom. Your puppy looks purebred. My experience with Malachi, my male was to let him out just as soon as he got up in the morning. Puppies have small bladders and limited control. Also right after they eat and any time their activity changes. Always praise them when they eliminate outside, and if they make a mistake inside, you are just going to have to accept that accidents will happen. Anything you do not want your puppy to chew on, you have to put out of reach. Teething makes them want to chew, and the only way they can pick up and examine an object is with their mouth, so naturally, they will pick up, chew and carry around things they find interesting. It is your job to make sure things the puppy can get are suitable for the puppy. Work with training basic commands. Chows are fairly easy to train basic commands, but they are hard headed. Ursa, my female, will get "back" from the door, "sit" and "wait" when she wants to go in or out. I have to ask most of the time, but she will follow the commands. On the other hand, Malachi will get "back" and go selectively deaf. It takes a couple of "look at me" before he decides that I really mean "sit". I have as much time as he has, so I can wait until he follows commands.
Auddymay

Post by Auddymay »

Read through the Training section. There is alot of information you will find handy. Best of luck, and keep us apprised of your Chowling's progress.
chowpups
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by chowpups »

I did not hear you mention that you had your pup to a Vet.. That should be the first thing anyone does with their new pups. Maybe I missed it.??
Ylaartim
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ylaartim »

Ursa's Daddy - Thank you for sharing. :) been training Skye for some basic commands and he's learning little by little. And with the pooping and peeing, I've been noticing a pattern on when he usually pee and poo. This forum helps a lot. :)

AuddyMay - I will read on the training section. :) thank you! And will keep you updated on my and my baby's progress. :)

Chowpups - just visited his vet today. He had his shots and deworming. :) thank you!
MissV
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MissV »

Hi!
When i got my chow pup, she also had black in her fur. Not nearly as much as your pup does... but my vet told me that there was no way she was a pure chow. Im ok with that tho, becuase i dont plan on showing her and im quite happy with what she looks like today! When her adult coat came in, she lost all the black that was in her fur.
Not sure about your pup. She looks like mine did when she was small. CUTE!
Pure is the heart of an animal - Evil is the heart of man...
Ylaartim
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ylaartim »

MissV wrote:Hi!
When i got my chow pup, she also had black in her fur. Not nearly as much as your pup does... but my vet told me that there was no way she was a pure chow. Im ok with that tho, becuase i dont plan on showing her and im quite happy with what she looks like today! When her adult coat came in, she lost all the black that was in her fur.
Not sure about your pup. She looks like mine did when she was small. CUTE!
Can you post a picture of her? :) my vet and the breeder told me that he's a pure chow. Cinnamon in color. And as he age his coat will become lighter or something like that. :)
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

you can see my Dreamdancer in my signature, that's what he looked like at about 18 months. This is what he looked like at 8 weeks,

As you can see he looks a lot like your puppy at that age. Yes he is a purebred chow, he has a slightly shorter coat than the show chows you see on TV, his mouth is a dark dusky purple, normal for a cinnamon. This is him at about 3 months
Most of the black is gone from his back, tail and muzzle at this age. And at six months he had his adult coloring:
and
And this is him last year no one thinks he's anything but a a chow now:
and

Hope this helps to set your mind at ease a bit.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Ylaartim
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ylaartim »

Victory - He's beautiful! I can see on the first pic that his right ear seems to be flopping down too. I guess. :) I hope my Skye will also have a beautiful coat as he gets older. Thank you! Surely eased my mind a lot. :)
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

This is a picture of Ty at 3 1/2 to 4 months old. When he was a little puppy his ears were up. He got beat up by his sister a lot before we picked him up

This is him now. About a couple weeks after, his ears stood up.

Excuse his fur, he was playing at the dog park. Slobbered up a bit.
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

I know i posted replies in the earlier posts for this pup. I commented on some very specific physical traits, and like Victory, Tippsy and Ursa I agree, this pup looks to be purebred. Our Rory has a lot of black still at 7 months, but it is all in the undercoat. He is very much cinnamon at this point, but likely will darken to a full on red. We'll see, as he does still have a good deal of black muzzle color. The coloring of the fur is much less of an indicator at this point...more focus on the mouth coloring, ear shape and eye shape. Also the rear hinds..with a chow they will sit almost straight, not a traditional "dog leg" as they refer to in golf. The tail set is also a great indicator..mostly or fully curled, sitting flat on the back. Another little hint for chows, watch him when he sits. Because of the straight rear hind, they tend to sit crooked at times, with legs kicked out to the side rather than a straight full upright sit.

Now, keep and eye on how he behaves. Chows are famously loyal to their family. Accepting of others, but somewhat guarded. See what happens if someone approaches him without your words of encouragement. He will probably just watch to see what is happening. Then try 'introducing' someone. Even as a very young pup, he will be much more friendly and outgoing. Tell him who it is, and encourage him. That is the Chow. Does he react like you want in familiar spaces and then completely ignore you and pull on the lead in new places. Again, thats a Chow.

As with any breed, they are all individuals...shorter, taller...longer fur, shorter fur. Girl pups tend to be petite, but can also be closer to 60 lbs when fully grown rather than the traditional 40 lbs. Males can range anywhere from 45 or so up to close to 100.

A lack of papers may mean that there is some other mix in the geneology, but it also just may mean that the history is not perfect or not known. Things can happen pretty quickly and result in pups that cant be documented, particularly in kennels that dont have good restriction routines. Papers can be used anywhere from proving a CH heritage to documenting that the dog comes from a 'well behaved' lineage (this can be important with Chows if you cant meet the parents). They can also be darn near useless if you are looking to have a beloved family member who is your best friend.
Ylaartim
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ylaartim »

TyChowgirl wrote:This is a picture of Ty at 3 1/2 to 4 months old. When he was a little puppy his ears were up. He got beat up by his sister a lot before we picked him up

This is him now. About a couple weeks after, his ears stood up.

Excuse his fur, he was playing at the dog park. Slobbered up a bit.
Ty, your chow is beautiful! :) thanks for sharing his pics. :)
Ylaartim
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ylaartim »

Rory's Dad wrote:I know i posted replies in the earlier posts for this pup. I commented on some very specific physical traits, and like Victory, Tippsy and Ursa I agree, this pup looks to be purebred. Our Rory has a lot of black still at 7 months, but it is all in the undercoat. He is very much cinnamon at this point, but likely will darken to a full on red. We'll see, as he does still have a good deal of black muzzle color. The coloring of the fur is much less of an indicator at this point...more focus on the mouth coloring, ear shape and eye shape. Also the rear hinds..with a chow they will sit almost straight, not a traditional "dog leg" as they refer to in golf. The tail set is also a great indicator..mostly or fully curled, sitting flat on the back. Another little hint for chows, watch him when he sits. Because of the straight rear hind, they tend to sit crooked at times, with legs kicked out to the side rather than a straight full upright sit.

Now, keep and eye on how he behaves. Chows are famously loyal to their family. Accepting of others, but somewhat guarded. See what happens if someone approaches him without your words of encouragement. He will probably just watch to see what is happening. Then try 'introducing' someone. Even as a very young pup, he will be much more friendly and outgoing. Tell him who it is, and encourage him. That is the Chow. Does he react like you want in familiar spaces and then completely ignore you and pull on the lead in new places. Again, thats a Chow.

As with any breed, they are all individuals...shorter, taller...longer fur, shorter fur. Girl pups tend to be petite, but can also be closer to 60 lbs when fully grown rather than the traditional 40 lbs. Males can range anywhere from 45 or so up to close to 100.

A lack of papers may mean that there is some other mix in the geneology, but it also just may mean that the history is not perfect or not known. Things can happen pretty quickly and result in pups that cant be documented, particularly in kennels that dont have good restriction routines. Papers can be used anywhere from proving a CH heritage to documenting that the dog comes from a 'well behaved' lineage (this can be important with Chows if you cant meet the parents). They can also be darn near useless if you are looking to have a beloved family member who is your best friend.
Thanks for that! :) most of what you said about chow traits, I've already noticed on him. This forum is very helpful!