Concerned about new purebred puppy

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

Hooch
Rank 0
Rank 0

Concerned about new purebred puppy

Post by Hooch »

Howdy, this is my 6th chow, he is a black male and just turned 9 weeks today, I know the breeders, both the parebts are AKC but this little guy still has more pink on is gums/tongue than black, the rest of the litter for the most part tongues are blue/black now. I had him fully checked out on Friday they said he's fine, but vetts thought chows were born with black tongues so they obviously told me he was a mix. What do you guys think? Maybe a late bloomer?

Thanks,

Hooch out
MissV
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Concerned about new purebred puppy

Post by MissV »

from what I know, a chow can still be purebred even with pink markings on thier tongues / gums.
I googled it ^_^
Pure is the heart of an animal - Evil is the heart of man...
TyChowgirl
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TyChowgirl »

Miss V is right. We've been through this a few times with people. It's all pigmentation. Also, they are born with pink tongues and mouths and the progressively get darker as the grow older in their puppy hood. I refer you to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEQgX8T4fJg It doesn't mean they're not purebred, it's just not show worthy that's all.
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

Also, if your chow is cream, it does take a lot longer to go dark. Lily's tongue is still getting darker, and she's 16 months old. I'm just saying this, because I don't know what colour your chow is.
Pretty little lily :). Thank you sweetpea for the wonderful banner
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

Just re read and you did say he is black. Sorry
Pretty little lily :). Thank you sweetpea for the wonderful banner
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

I think it is quite likely that your baby will darken some. Black chows in general have darker pigmentation in their mouths and so I also worried when Izzie was eight weeks and had many lighter bits but no pink. However as she grew up the pigmentation did darken. Have you told the breeder as they may want to know from the point of view of not breeding those two chows together again when they produce such a pink mouth as it is not correct from the point of view of breed standards. Obviously your baby is still a chow if its parents are AKC chows. :D
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

Nope they aren't born with pure black tongues. The pigmentation takes a while to fully develope. You guy is black so he should grow into a nice dark tongued chow. What color are his parents? If both are black then his tongue should be very dark, if one is a red/cinnamon, blue or cream, he might end up with a slightly lighter mouth. Unless you are going to show him it's no big deal.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Rory's Dad
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rory's Dad »

Agree with earlier posts, any coloring in the mouth is not a sign that pup is not purebred.. It is a disqualification for show dogs, but thats it. If vet said that, i would be worried that they are not familiar with breed. I have had that problem in the past. Overall, it might be ok if they arent familiar, but i have found that also means they are comfortable with chows, and that can be an inssue.

Coloring in chows comes in much later than other breeds. Both the fur and the mouth. Black nuzzles tend to disappear, sable fur turns reddish, and lighter mouths and tongues go blue/black.
MissV
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MissV »

yeap... its hard to find a good vet that has experience with chows. In South Africa, they're practically non-existant.
Pure is the heart of an animal - Evil is the heart of man...
Hooch
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Hooch »

Thanks for the reply guys, both his parents were red, his dad had a black muzzle. There were 2 blacks out of the litter the rest were cinnamin, and he is a little turd. I had to put my 10 year old chow down 2 weeks ago due to cancer, after 3 surgeries we just coudnt get rid of it and it would keep growing back faster and faster. I put him to sleep myself, gave him the shot, it killed me, but he would have done the same for me, not some random nurse. I had him cremated and he's sitting in his favorite spot. I also have a 2 year old female red chow, shes still in shock over Khans death, but Khan Junior has been trying to take his place in her life. I guess she just doesn't remember when she was a puppy and how she constantly chewed on my 10 year old guy. I miss him daily, RIP Brotha Darkness

Khan Jr

Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

My Matilda came to live with us when she was 8 weeks old and had a pink patch on her tongue - about the size of my little finger nail. In a matter of weeks it had turned blue like the rest of her tongue. :)
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)