First Post... a new chow in our house

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

RuffHaven
Rank 0
Rank 0

First Post... a new chow in our house

Post by RuffHaven »

We just became the owner of a 10 year old female chow who has 3 legs. Right front leg has been gone for 8 years. I was told it was a car accident.
Anyway....I have had chow mixes and currently have several dogs living here. She will be in a separate area for a while until we know she is healthy and everyone gets along.
Any and all advice is welcome
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Re: First Post... a new chow in our house

Post by Victory »

My biggest piece of advice would be to be patient with her. I have no idea why someone would give away a 10 yearold chow, but it will take her a while to adjust and to bond. She's going to be waiting for her former owner to come and get her. She may even go into a little bit of grieving. If she is one of the standoffish type chows it could take up to 9 months for her to fully bond with you. If she doesn't feel like dealing with the competition of the other dogs it could take longer. How many dogs is several? And what are they? And is she used to other dogs? The answers to these questions are going to have an impact on how she adjusts.

Good for you for taking her in. Just be patient and it will work out.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Welcome to the site. :) As Victory says, it is puzzling to give away a 10 yr. old chow but there may be reasons. In any case, just love her and be patient - that is the only advice I can give. Poor old girl. :) I hope she settles quickly.
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
Zhuyos mom

Post by Zhuyos mom »

Welcome to the site. I adopted a 9 year old chow girl. She passed last year. It was an amazing 7 years with her in my life. The first week I brought her home was a little challenging. But after that, she adjusted to her life with us and idolized her new big chow brother even after he took his last breath. Just as long as you lay down the house rules to her and watch the actions of your OTHER dogs towards her, she will feel confident in her new home. Remember to have a sense of humor with her.
Calift
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Calift »

Congrats- was she listed on petfinder by any chance?

I remember seeing a red, female Tripod there last week... a beautiful, sweetie if thats the same dog. :)

Congrats nonetheless!!
Image <3
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CoraP. »

Welcome! Thank you so much for giving this girl a home!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
RuffHaven
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by RuffHaven »

Calift wrote:Congrats- was she listed on petfinder by any chance?

I remember seeing a red, female Tripod there last week... a beautiful, sweetie if thats the same dog. :)

Congrats nonetheless!!
A friend of mine on Facebook had a photo of her and I fell in love with her face. I have a few photos of her on my blog.