NEW OWNER of CHOW..

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

angeli0518
Rank 0
Rank 0

NEW OWNER of CHOW..

Post by angeli0518 »

hi i'm a new owner of a chow chow, well he's only 3 months old and he's really cute, he's cream and very active but i have a little problem with him, he's biting my foot or hand when i let him walk around the house, do you guys have some advice so i could stop him from doing that?i'm really scared that it's teeth will pierced through my skin....
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: NEW OWNER of CHOW..

Post by BeckiHutton »

This is normal puppy behaviour it is not agression. With lily my chow, I would make a very very loud squealing noise and within a day and a half this behaviour stopped. Also, if he or she persists you can put them into time out (5 minutes will be fine) in a room on his/ her own and totally ignore him/her for this period of time. Sorry you didn't say if you had a boy or girl chow
Pretty little lily :). Thank you sweetpea for the wonderful banner
Kiana197
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Kiana197 »

What I do with my Callie, who is around 12 weeks old and we still don't know if she's Chow chow or not, is I go "Aaaatttt No Callie! No bite!" If this doesn't stop her, I make a squealing nose similar to a puppy when it gets bit too hard by a playmate and follow that with a no, it basically always works and we haven't had to put her in time out yet. It's pretty normal puppy behavior, just make sure that you're not 'rough playing' with him, or he will just get encouraged to bite. Also make sure he has at least one toy that's hard and he can chew on. With Callie I have an older dog as well, and they each have their own bone called a Nylabone, as well as another called a Rawhide. I'm not sure where you're located, so I don't know if either of those are available to you, but around here they're relatively cheep, and the nylabone's keep them busy for awhile. Lucky got her's at Christmas and has only chewed off the very end of it.
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

You've received very good advice above. I've always done the high pitched squeal and walk away from my puppies when they bite, and if they persist, I pup them in time out.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

I've only had to put lily in time out once and that was yesterday because she nipped Alfie (my son) on the head and then scratched him. I wasn't going to tolerate any of that !!!
angeli0518
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by angeli0518 »

thanks guys i'll try it with my aiky^^
he's a boy and he's really active..
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

angeli0518 wrote:thanks guys i'll try it with my aiky^^
he's a boy and he's really active..
Actually the girls are a lot more active and often the clowns of the chow world. The boys get too dignified too fast.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

Hello and welcome. :)

I cannot really add to the good advice you have already received. Just persist in stopping him. He has got to learn that this behaviour is not acceptable.

Pups try it on and it is puppy play - but a puppy bite is one thing - a grown chow chow bite is another. :shock:

I have two youngsters, litter sisters and I have to keep an eye on their rough play with each other. 8) The little baggages can get really rough.

Anyway, keep logging in - we love to hear about the new chowlings and their antics.

I notice that Victory said that the girl chows are the clowns - the boys more sedate. I have never known a boy chow so I don't know but the girls certainly do have a great sense of humour. My Maisie is an absolute clown while her sister Matilda is very mischievous. My first two girls Milly and Mabel were also funny - Milly, who died a year ago last August was a feisty little baggage and Mabel who is an old lady now had and indeed still has a funny sense of humour. :lol:
(Thank you Sweetpea for my new banner.)
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

My lily can be so funny at times. When you put your shoes down to get them on, as you are getting one on she will steal the other one and run off with it. Then she'll just look at you and I can tell she is laughing :lol: bless her
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4
Location: Cheshire, On The Island.(But always wishing she was back home in Wales)

Post by Judy Fox »

This is her sense of humour kicking in! :lol:
Maisie does it with Fred's bedsocks - she will pinch one off him and then run just our of arms reach and turn and laugh at him. Then when the bed is made in the morning I tuck his bedsocks under his pillow and she will jump up on the bed and stuff her snout under and get a sock and run and find him with the sock dangling from her mouth and goad him into chasing her with a big chow grin on her face. Funny girl! :lol:
BeckiHutton
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BeckiHutton »

Haha chows are so funny :) I've only had lily a few weeks but she has settled down so well as a true member of our family.

It's the same with alfie's dummys (pacifiers). Lily keeps stealing them and running off with them in her mouth. We have had to throw some away because she chews them to bits given half a chance. Sneaky, cheeky little mare :p lol
tiffanie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tiffanie »

hi im new owner of a 4 mnt girl chow she is very cute and activebut i have small problem with her. shes biting my foot always is this normal i want to know if this biting nowmal what will i do to change this :^o
Judy Fox
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Judy Fox »

Yes the biting is normal - but it is unacceptable.

You must stop her doing it. How you do it is really up to you. People have there own ways - I find a short, sharp "No! " or "Aah!" and stop playing. I find that chows can recognise you facial expressions too so a bit frown whilst you say the No or Aah indicates to them that you don't like what they are doing. Similarly, when they stop biting when you have told them, a smile and praise works. :)
Me & Tess
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Me & Tess »

When Tess first came to us, she chewed my hand & arm (not that it was acceptable - but I let her do it). She was an adult and I figured it was just that she wanted to get to know me). My arm was pretty bruised but she stopped after about a week. She used to do the sock thing. Grab Mike's socks then run around like crazy. We progressed to papers and I ran around the house in play with her. I still miss her. There is an old male black Chow in BC that sounds so much like Tess. I am keeping tabs on him.