New Chow owner. Need advice.

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

AJLCSW
Rank 0
Rank 0

New Chow owner. Need advice.

Post by AJLCSW »

Hello. I rescued my Chow on Easter of this year April, 2010, from our local dog shelter, and we named her Coco Beans. She is 2 yrs old now. We believe she was formerly abused by her former owner, because when we first got her she refused to be bathed, would growl, and was afraid of the bathroom and water. This behavior has subsided and she does not put up a fight when she is bathed. She loves to be groomed. She is potty trained, but lately has been peeing in our home, and had chewed holes on our walls in our bedroom. We do do not know what is wrong now. When we first got her she did this often, but then I started walking her daily 2-4 miles, depending upon how much time I had, before going to work. She now is back to chewing the plaster on our walls and making holes. She also has been chewing on herself a lot to the point where we need to put antibiotic cream on her belly, buttock, or tail area. I figure she has separation anxiety when my husband and I leave for work, but we play with her and give her lots of affection. Can anyone give me some advice on what you have tried to stop the peeing and the chewing on herself and on your walls. We already tried the Tabasco sauce on the wall to deter her from chewing and that seemed to help, but realistically we cannot put sauce allover the walls.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Alexandra
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: New Chow owner. Need advice.

Post by Tippsy'smom »

Sounds like boredom to me. Have you tried crate training her? That would prevent her from peeing in the house and keep her from chewing on the walls. Or you could try toys that you can stuff treats in, they'll keep her busy. Mine like kongs with frozen peanut butter in them.
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
AJLCSW
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AJLCSW »

Well I am not familiar with the term "crating." Maybe you can explain to me or direct me to a web site or book I can read about crating. Sorry, but I am not also, familiar with what kong toys are?
I appreciate and Thank You for your advice. Coco's mom :.) Alexandra
Tippsy'smom
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Tippsy'smom »

AJLCSW wrote:Well I am not familiar with the term "crating." Maybe you can explain to me or direct me to a web site or book I can read about crating. Sorry, but I am not also, familiar with what kong toys are?
I appreciate and Thank You for your advice. Coco's mom :.) Alexandra
These are all kinds of Kong toys that you can stuff food in.
http://www.petsmart.com/search/index.js ... rkong&sr=1

Th topic gives great advice on crating.
http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php ... ing#p75110
Jess
R.I.P. Cinder~1992-1994, Tippsy~9/00-4/11, Jasper~10/08-10/14, Todd~2/11-7/15
Dixie: mix Rebel: mix
Boogie and Linda
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Boogie and Linda »

Have you taken her to vet to make sure the urinating in the house isn't due to a bladder infection? Also, the chewing on the skin could be allergies. Mine are allergic to a lot of different foods (anything with wheat or corn) and also fleas. If they get one flea bite they will chew themselves raw and end up with hot spots.

As for chewing on the walls, I don't know. It could be seperation anxiety. Hopefully a kong will help keep her entertained. You will have to find something to put in it that she absolutely loves. Crating will definately save your walls from being chewed as she will be contained. Does she get worked up when you leave the house? And do you have a fenced in area outside that she has access to when you are not there to potty?
AJLCSW
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AJLCSW »

As an update for Coco Beans.. we first took her to the vet and found out she had a bacterial infection on her nose and from all the scratching throughout her behind and belly areas. She was immediately put on Prednisone, a antibacterial med (Cephalextin), and Mometamax solution for her nose, that really made a difference in her overall comfort level, not scratching on herself (we also put baby powder on her belly) and feeling a lot better. The vet suggested a bath 2 a week for now. Since we have a doggy door to the back yard we are now allowing her the freedom to go in and out even when we are not home. This has seemed to make a big difference in her being bored and not wanting to chew the walls. Yeah! =D=
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

One thing I always like to encourage is talking to your Chow. Everyday that we are going to leave, we tell them "we'll be back". Some owner's have started with very short periods between saying "I'll be back" - go out the door for 5 minutes and then come back in. It just lets them know that when you tell them I'll be back - you will be back.
Another thing we are consistent about is saying good night. My two sleep downstairs so when we are going upstairs, we are telling them good night and they do their little circle and lay down.
Of course, we know that it is our body language and not really what we are saying that they are responding to :)
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh