I'm a new chow owner! I need advice!

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

moje45
Rank 0
Rank 0

I'm a new chow owner! I need advice!

Post by moje45 »

I recently purchased a chow and I really want to get him started on the right foot. He is eight weeks old, and thus far has been very good in terms of temperment. He plays well with other dogs, seems fine around other people, and even tolerates the cat. I try to socialize him with other dogs and people daily, and I have been doing everything in my power to express my alpha status to him with the exception of anything physical. I try to enforce negatives by taking away treats and using a stern voice.

I guess the short of it is that I know chows can be wonderful companions, and on the other hand can be a nightmare if not trained properly. I am impatiently waiting on Ceasars way to show up so I can begin learning some of his methods, but this forum seemed like a great resource.

I would appreciate any tips in training methods, things to watch for in behaviour, and anything else that you would deem important to know. I dont have much experience in dog training, but I am committed to doing things right with my pup.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Cheers!

M
CoraP.
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: I'm a new chow owner! I need advice!

Post by CoraP. »

Welcome! It sounds to me that you are doing the right things. Socializing is very important, so keep it up! If you check out the Training section, you can find lots of great information there. We got Molly from a rescue, so she was already an adult, I don't have a lot of experience with puppies. I'd love to hear more about your new addition, and pictures are always very welcome!
CoraP.Image
Remember this, and also be persuaded of its truth - the future is not in the hands of fate, but in ourselves.
Jules Jusserand
kingalls

Post by kingalls »

There are many good tips in the Training Forum.
Check out the Best of sub-forum. You will find a range of opinion regarding Ceasar Milan and there was a thread on it: http://forum.chowchow.org/viewtopic.php ... an#p143725.

Welcome to this site. I think you will find it a good resource as a new Chow owner.
Karen, Kohana, Takoda, and our Chow Angels Nahkohe and Shiloh
myboys
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by myboys »

Wow...you've done quite a bit and your chow is only 8 weeks... how old was he/she when you got it.
Just curious because I always thought that was the age when puppies were released from their moms.

myboys
moje45
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by moje45 »

I have had Jax for 4 days. I am just a little hyper-aggressive in my own way....hah...we're a good fit that way!
JasonandNat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JasonandNat »

Love, patience, more patience, lots more patience, love, good food, did we mention patience, exercise and lots of it, accept set backs, be calm - always, do everything now why the furkid is young and do it constantly forever, more patience, love.

Yup that about covets the basics.

;)