Question before buying Chow

A special section for new Chow Chow guardians.

Moderator: chowadmin

fitraga
Rank 0
Rank 0

Question before buying Chow

Post by fitraga »

Hello guys, I have a question before buying a Chow, first of all, my lifestyle:
1. I lived in an apartment alone.
2. I work 8hrs a day (so the dog will be left alone in the apartment)
3. I can walk the dog about 15minutes daily.

My question is, can I have Chow?
1. Can Chow destroy my furniture if being left alone?
2. Does Chow suitable for my lifestyle?
3. Can Chow bites stranger? (When someone pet him or squat down and look at his eyes/face)

I also heard that Chow is an aggresive dog, is the chow biting will hurt anyone badly until bleeding? or any other serious injury?

Thank you.
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Re: Question before buying Chow

Post by Victory »

fitraga wrote:Hello guys, I have a question before buying a Chow, first of all, my lifestyle:

3. Can Chow bites stranger? (When someone pet him or squat down and look at his eyes/face)

I also heard that Chow is an aggresive dog, is the chow biting will hurt anyone badly until bleeding? or any other serious injury?

Thank you.
Let's answer these in order:

this is fine I also live in an apartment by myself. Chows are generally quiet.

Again fine, I also work and go to school, on school nights I'm gone a long time.

Not so fine, they, (any dog) needs more exercise than that, at the minium 2-20 minute walks per day, or a short one in the morning to go potty, and a longer one in the evening for potty and exercise.

Yes. especially if a puppy and only walked 15mins every day, boredom will lead to chewing or dominane relieving him/her self on the furniture. (as a puppy this will happen just cause he/she need to go out more often.)

Chows are quiet like I said, but they require a committment of time, interaction with you and socializing, a LOT of socializing this means they need to get out and meet people, other dogs and experience life. Or they can become fearful of strangers, strange dogs and unknown situations, a fearful chow is not happy and could become dangerous.

Any dog can bite, even ones without teeth. If he or she isn't socialized this is more likely to happen, especially if someone squats down and confronts him/her.

All told I'm not sure you're ready for a chow or any other dog. Dogs need exercise, they need socialization and training. They need interaction and leadership from their owner, they need companionship. Having most dogs is like having a two year old human child. Having a chow is like having a three year old human child. But remember that 2-3 year old is going to stay 2-3 years old for 12-20 years. Having a chow or any dog or any animal is a long time commitment, if you're not ready and willing to accept that and accept that your life IS going to change by bringing one into your home, then you are not ready for a chow and not ready for any dog.

I don't mean to sound harsh but I want to be honest, a dog, cat, horse even a hamster is a living, feeling creature that needs and deserves to be treated well.
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
Sirchow
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sirchow »

I would agree with everything Victory has written and would add that no puppy can be left alone during the day for eight hours without peeing at least, in your appartment. To be honest you would be better with a cat. But I wonder why you want a chow in such a well ordered life. You would benefit from visiting someone who has a dog or borrowing one for a day or two and trying to imagine how it would fit into your life. It is a big commitment because there are no guarantees that your chow may not get ill or have allergies etc and need more care than normal for periods of its life.
Siriol, Bramble, Izzie and Isla.
Michael's Maggie May
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Michael's Maggie May »

All told I'm not sure you're ready for a chow or any other dog. Dogs need exercise, they need socialization and training. They need interaction and leadership from their owner, they need companionship. Having most dogs is like having a two year old human child. Having a chow is like having a three year old human child. But remember that 2-3 year old is going to stay 2-3 years old for 12-20 years. Having a chow or any dog or any animal is a long time commitment, if you're not ready and willing to accept that and accept that your life IS going to change by bringing one into your home, then you are not ready for a chow and not ready for any dog.

I don't mean to sound harsh but I want to be honest, a dog, cat, horse even a hamster is a living, feeling creature that needs and deserves to be treated well.

I SECOND THIS AND TOTALLY AGREE
ilovemysmoothie!
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ilovemysmoothie! »

Hi!

I agree with absolutely everything that was posted. I am away (I'm a student) for most of the day, but I make my chow my top priority. I walk her in the mornings, and run/walk with her for at least an hour each night. I also make it a point to bring her everywhere that I go (friends houses,dog friendly stores, training, etc.)

I have never had any problems with my chow eating things, biting people or being agressive, etc., but I am not going to lie..it has taken (and takes!) a lot of time and effort to get to this point. I personally have loved every second of this process, but if you are having doubts now, maybe you should think twice about getting a dog.

Sorry, I don't want to be a downer, but it is an honour to own an animal (or as we refer to it... be "owned" by an animal) and if you don't or can't put forward 100% of an effort, it isn't fair to the animal.

Good luck in your decision and keep us updated!
Little Bear's Mom
ImageImageImage
Swerve
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Swerve »

Also what if you buy the dog and he/she does bark while your away ? If the body corporate (Sorry only talk Australian) says you have to remove the dog. Are you prepared to move WITH the dog. Your dog is a 10-15 year commitment so if you have any doubt about always putting them first don't do it.

We bought Duff age 6 from the pound as th eprevious owner moved house and duff didnt get along with the new dogs, so he dumped Duff. Sorry i would have moved out. In Oz we cant have dogs in apartments so it is very weird for us.

steve
RIP Duff, 01/12/1999- 24/10/2011
Winston, 15/04/2009 - current
ccyang
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ccyang »

hi,
I would have to agree with everyone on this one. We got pong when he was 6 weeks old, and he's now almost 5 months old....he's the first chow chow me and my bf got. Before getting him, we also had our doubts because we too live in an apartment. Fortunately, we have one of the largest parks in Montreal just a block away from our place. You know, we looked at all the aspects of welcoming a puppy at home.....from taking care of him to training him....yet you can't even imagine how much responsibilities is required. When we got him, I wasnt working or attending school yet, so I was constantly with Pong....and yet, I feel bad even going grocery shopping because he's just a lil puppy and he needed my attention (or so I think, lol). Ppl always warned us about how chow chows have to be socialized, so if you can't really take care of him....then when would you have time to help him socialize with others? Ever since we got Pong, I always bring him everywhere I go as much as possible....and he still is a bit scared of people. Dont get me wrong, he looooooovvvvvvesssss people...he would just sit on the street (while i'm walking him) and look at people. But once they want to pet him, he tries to run away. When you get a puppy (chow or not), I think you kinda need to put some things aside because he is now your main focus. We brought Pong to puppy classes and the trainer told us that it is constant training/room for improvement for the first 2 years. Maybe im just obsessed with my baby, but even my boyfriend who thinks a dog remains a dog (not a baby, which I claim :D ) prefers to stay home rather than do something and leave Pong in the cage. For the last 4 months, me and my bf's lives have changed sooooo much...everything revolves around Pong, we dont do much anymore....but it is a choice we made when we chose to welcome him to our home, and I dont regret a thing....I cant imagine my life without Pong :oops:
bama
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bama »

my 2 cents...

I would not get a large dog if I lived in an apartment. In my opinion, you would be better off with a cat or a small apartment size dog
that can use a potty pad indoors. Toy breeds can get all the excercise they need by running around indoors.
Also, since you live in an apartment...the chances of your moving while your dog is alive is great.
A lot of rentals have restrictions on dog size and breed. To avoid this, a small dog is best.
People moving to someplace where their dog isn't welcome or can't "fit in" is the main reason the shelters and rescues are
overflowing. Be smart....your dog may live to be in the upper teens, make sure you will always have a place for them.
**Photo by Sweet Pea.
She has a photogenic memory...really!
Victory
Rank 3
Rank 3
Location: North Chesterfield, (Right outside Richmond) Virginia

Post by Victory »

bama wrote:my 2 cents...

I would not get a large dog if I lived in an apartment. In my opinion, you would be better off with a cat or a small apartment size dog
that can use a potty pad indoors. Toy breeds can get all the excercise they need by running around indoors.
Also, since you live in an apartment...the chances of your moving while your dog is alive is great.
A lot of rentals have restrictions on dog size and breed. To avoid this, a small dog is best.
People moving to someplace where their dog isn't welcome or can't "fit in" is the main reason the shelters and rescues are
overflowing. Be smart....your dog may live to be in the upper teens, make sure you will always have a place for them.
Don't want to argue, but as a person who lives in apartment buildings little dogs are a yappy, noisy pain and that going to potty inside is very smelly. I frankly don't like the little noisy dogs in our building or the other buildings around the neighborhood, they bark and bark and bark and are the reason some of the landlords have stopped allowing dogs. If they just allowed the bigger lazier, quiet dogs it wouldn't be an issue. AND when you get a dog even if you live in a house in most cities you should take them for a walk twice a day, most yards are smaller than a quarter acre and that's not enough exercise. And as far as that "my new place doesn't allow dogs" excuse, I'm thinking of moving in a year or so, and I'm already looking because I KNOW it's going to be hard to find a place that will accept my dogs, but until I find such a place I'm not moving. Not even for a job would I move. I'd even tell the US Military to stick it. But that's just me, dogs first!
Victory, Darkwind, (our angel), Firesong, and Dreamdancer
Thank you SweetPea!
samsonite23
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by samsonite23 »

I think you should definitely get a chow or any dog in general because i think that the companionship that a pup gives you is great. Also if you can get out more than 15 minutes a day - it would not only be better for the dog but for yourself too! A great way to keep in shape :)
I love my Chow!! He is my best friend!! I insured Skye with pet insurance and never regret it since!
Grab
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Grab »

I have to disagree with large dogs being unsuited to apartment life. After all, how many dogs do laps in their homes? (a zoom once in awhile notwithstanding) As long as an owner is open to offering adequate exercise, dogs of all sizes do quite well in apartments. Larger cities are full of happy dogs of all sizes in small spaces with their owners. Even living in a house isn't a guarantee of a fenced yard, as many HOAs don't allow fences, or have strict requirements.

It seems a common myth that only small dogs are good for apartments..they're still dogs, small sized though they may be. They need walks and exercise as well. And they should be trained to go outside..not on a puppy pad.

I will say that, in our home, it is our small dogs that have the higher exercise needs. Aesop wants to sleep most of the time, while small dogs run laps around him.