New Member - have 2 but can only keep 1

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

donorrell
Rank 0
Rank 0

New Member - have 2 but can only keep 1

Post by donorrell »

Hello,

My wife and I rescued an abandoned dog that had been living next door to a house she has listed. (She is a Realtor). The previous owner hastily moved out, and luckily he mentioned to her that he intended to just leave the dog behind. (How people can do that is beyond comprehension!) We couldn’t let him just become a stray, so we took him in. We reside in the Lake Norman area north of Charlotte, NC.

The dog's name is "Chunk". He is a chow-shepherd mix, 64 lbs. He is AMAZINGLY affectionate and sweet. We had his shots updated (he has former records at Westshore Animal Hospital) and gave him a bath, and he is a very happy guy. He loves to have his belly rubbed and will literally let you take a beef bone out of his mouth; that's how gentle he is. His tail rarely stops wagging. Dr. Reed at Westshore Animal Hospital in Denver, NC gave him a clean bill of health and endorsed him as being very adoptable, even for a family with small children. He is 6 years old and not neutered, but the vet said at this point he didn’t believe it was necessary.

We would probably adopt him ourselves but we have Daisy, a 12-year-old Chow-Rottweiler mix and they do not get along. As such, we have to keep them separated which is difficult, so long-term fostering is not feasible - especially since I travel extensively for work and my wife cannot manage them both herself. My travel kicks back in next week so I need to find a solution quickly.

Full transparency; despite his incredible affection towards people, he doesn’t seem to get along with other dogs. He has some scratches on his nose from a recent tangle with a tomcat just before we took him in. We’ve been working on socializing him and he seems to be making some progress, but right now he would be best off in a one-pet household.

Please help point me in the right direction. He is too precious to bring to Lincoln County Animal Services, but I’m running out of options. I can be reached at 704-996-6896.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Don Orrell 704-996-6896
Attachments
Chunk 3.jpg
Chunk 3.jpg (90.84 KiB) Viewed 1869 times
Chunk 2.jpg
Chunk 2.jpg (254.61 KiB) Viewed 1869 times
Chunk 1.jpg
Chunk 1.jpg (226.26 KiB) Viewed 1869 times
Jean123
Rank 0
Rank 0