Itchy chow chow

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

Julie-1070
Rank 0
Rank 0

Itchy chow chow

Post by Julie-1070 »

My chow is a year old and she is itching her hind legs, hips, and tail. She big bald spots from pulling out her fur. My husband has had a few chows but they were males and never did this. The vet said it was allergies and gave her some steroids and apoquel. She was on that for a week but the bald spots have gotten bigger and her fur is starting to thin alot on her back and sides. Someone please help with some advice.
Laura
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Itchy chow chow

Post by Laura »

Flea allergy?
Chloe (left) Shuggy (right)
Princesspeach11
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Princesspeach11 »

Hi ,

Just wondering if you got to the bottom of the itching issue? I’m having a similar problem with my young male chow. Any advice would be appreciated- thanks
ohsobrutal
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ohsobrutal »

Your dog might have hot spots. Common skin issue in chows, drop the ingestion meds (until you figure out if this is a really extreme case) and talk with your vet about ointment! Might also want to invest in a cone if the puppy is licking/biting. Good luck, hopefully condition improves :)
Coyle
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Coyle »

Chows are prone to dry skin, adding a litle oil to their dog food helps, the steroids--probably prednisone--will significantly shorten your dogs life. If it gets really bad you can always give your dog a short haircut and coat the skin with Sulfodene, works great; you'll just have a short haired dog until it clears up.
C.a.hafele
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by C.a.hafele »

My puppy has the same issues, I cut back on the beef. Treats and food. Anything I was giving him. He was underweight when we finally received him so i was giving him pour overs like beef stew to try to add calories to his daily intake. Beef is high in histamines. Once I cut back on it, he stopped itching at least 3/4 of the itching he was doing. I also have him groomed once a month to get rid of any extra hair the grooming I do daily may be missing. My groomer uses special moisturizer shampoo. That helps as well. She said he has some dry skin patches. Much better now. Once in a while he will itch, I put a little all natural goats milk lotion where he is itching and where I can find his skin lol he is so Fluffy!! Hope this was helpful! Good luck!!