My chow chow tooth is loose :O

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

Coco the Lion Chow
Rank 0
Rank 0

My chow chow tooth is loose :O

Post by Coco the Lion Chow »

Hi, new member here! Also, it's my first time as a dog owner and that's why maybe I sometimes exaggerate because I don't know what to do when something happens to our little chow. Well, not so little anymore.

Coco is going to be five months old on June 8, 2018 and a very energetic and happy chow. But just this afternoon an incident happened. He was having his usual zoomies and playing with a basket ball, chasing and biting it. It's not his first time playing with that kind of ball. One second he was biting it the next he just stopped and kept licking the outside and inner part of his mouth, completely ignoring the ball. I kind of sensed that there was something wrong and looked at his teeth. And to my horror, his canine tooth, the upper one was bleeding (just little, but it was really red.) and his tooth was kind of bent.

I have read and done my research that it's normal for puppies to lose their teeth as it was considered as 'baby teeth' especially if the puppy is four months. But I'm kind of worried since it happened differently. The tooth is still intact, though, it looks like its gonna fall off soon. Coco's asleep now but he would sometimes wake up and lick the inside of his mouth, possibly the tooth and kept pawing at it, and then go back to sleep. I know he's in pain and I do not know what to do.

I need help guys.

Is this normal? Should I wait patiently for the teeth to fall out on its own? Or shoukd I take him to the vet first thing on the morning?
–A
Sherry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: My chow chow tooth is loose :O

Post by Sherry »

Hi there,

I have a 6 months cream chow and last month, when she was 5 months old, her canine broke into two pieces diagonally. I went to the vet and he said: Make sure the gum doesnt swell or get red.
I think one or two week after, the left over canine fell off and replaced by her adult canine.
And yes the first day, it was bleeding.

Hope it helps :)