Another "Breeder Question"

Introduce yourself and ask questions of the forum Chow Chow enthusiasts.

Moderator: chowadmin

MaryBing
Rank 0
Rank 0

Another "Breeder Question"

Post by MaryBing »

Hi!

I've been lurking around this forum as a guest for a while and I finally decided to register.

I've been contemplating getting a chow pup for over a year now. I considered getting a rescue pup, but this will be my first dog and I'm worried that I won't have the experience to properly handle one, so I decided it's best to go with a puppy (plus, my cats will adjust to a puppy better than to a grown dog).

I've been going out of my mind trying to find a good breeder. I live in Chicago, IL, so I would like the breeder to be within 5h drive so I could visit the kennel before purchasing and pick up my puppy in person. I've been looking into D&M Chows (heard so many good and bad things, now I'm not sure about them), Charmar chow chows, Muddy Creek Chows, Magika Chows and private breeder named Sonya Waldron. Besides some limited info on their Facebook pages, there is hardly any other information about them. Did anyone here have any experience with these breeders? Or do you have any other breeder suggestions?

Any response will be highly appreciated!

Thank you!
wandastadel
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: RE: Another "Breeder Question"

Post by wandastadel »

MaryBing wrote:Hi!

I've been lurking around this forum as a guest for a while and I finally decided to register.

I've been contemplating getting a chow pup for over a year now. I considered getting a rescue pup, but this will be my first dog and I'm worried that I won't have the experience to properly handle one, so I decided it's best to go with a puppy (plus, my cats will adjust to a puppy better than to a grown dog).

I've been going out of my mind trying to find a good breeder. I live in Chicago, IL, so I would like the breeder to be within 5h drive so I could visit the kennel before purchasing and pick up my puppy in person. I've been looking into D&M Chows (heard so many good and bad things, now I'm not sure about them), Charmar chow chows, Muddy Creek Chows, Magika Chows and private breeder named Sonya Waldron. Besides some limited info on their Facebook pages, there is hardly any other information about them. Did anyone here have any experience with these breeders? Or do you have any other breeder suggestions?

Any response will be highly appreciated!

Thank you!
Hello Mary,
I'm also in Illinois. I'm near Princeton. You can also look on my Facebook page: My Fuzzy Wiggle Butts. I am a breeder, but I keep my babies inside my home. I also have children as well as a kitty in my home. Mine are house broken before they leave and are used to a kennel (small indoor). Please take a look at my page there is plenty of information and pictures of others who have become new parents to my fur babies.
Thanks and good luck
Wanda

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
alexanguyen
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Another "Breeder Question"

Post by alexanguyen »

Hi Marybing,

I'm also in the chicago area, and have been researching on good breeders. Did you ever find the right breeder for you? If so, do you mind sharing? I have also been talking to Sonya Waldron but there's not a lot of good information on her out there.
coral
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Another "Breeder Question"

Post by coral »

Sonya Waldron is not a trustworthy breeder. She is admin of a Facebook group that she and another woman named Sally formed a few years ago when they were booted from a respectable group. No selling of animals is allowed on Facebook, but they do it, which should tell you something about their character. Both of those women promote themselves as good breeders, but they are known for having merle and chocolate puppies which aren't acceptable by the breed standard nor are they desired by knowledgable breeders because the merle gene can cause blindness, deafness, and aggression. Sonya allows for people to mention that they have litters available in their group but their group rule clearly says not to mention pricing or Facebook will shut down the group. Sally messages people privately to offer them puppies. So this illustrates that rules don't matter to these breeders. They also advertise on the mass classifieds, not on AKC so I think they only do CKC registration. So sorry to have to share this information, as there aren't too many really good Chow breeders who are having litters during this pandemic.